Hybrid columbine (Aquilegia hybrida)

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Aquilegia x hybrida 'Biedermeier' (Nosegay Columbine)
Compact and neat mounds of foliage with upfacing blooms.
Colors are mixed

Common name: Hybrid columbine
Family: Ranunculaceae
Genus: Aquilegia
Species hybrida

Thumbnail by JJsgarden
Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

these are what i have been searching for and never knew it till just now! WHERE? HOW?? Lovely

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Those are absolutely gorgeous!

Very nice!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I NEED to have some!!!!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I just got my Bluestone perennials catalogue in the mail today and it opened right up to page 5....And there they are!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Thanks everyone! It was truly beautiful when it bloomed last month and the blooms seemed to last for weeks. Mings, I bought it at Lowes a couple of years ago. They have columbines now, but I do not know if this one. I am going there tomorrow and can check for you if you like. I'll also have seeds later.

Jean

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

My Lowes in Pa . doesn;t carry things like this. Atleast, they weren;t there yesterday! WOW! You are so lucky. I have one question though. I am confused by what you have listed here and what they list in the catalogue at http://bluestoneperennials.com They have what looks like what YOU have in their photo on page 5. BUT. when you try to match things up. it doesn;t jive. They say thats it is called Melba Higgins in the book . I am all turned around. have you ever seen their site?

Just searched their site for Aquilegia and they show Melba Higgins as a deep blue. Biedermeier is mixed colors and the pic they show, is but one of the colors.
Jean

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

You motoviated me so much! I found seeds on sale at the local nursery. Got some for 50 cent and 40 cent. William Guinness, harequin mix, barlow mix. PLUS, I found a Biedermeier at kmart for $4.00. YIPPIEE! It is in 3 clumps. so. I am going to divide the clumps. Thanks so much for posting the photo! You opened my eyes!!!!

Great!!!! So glad you found it! And I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I do.
Jean

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Been doing the happy dance all afternoon!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh Mings..you are so lucky!!!!!
You must post some pics when you have yours in bloom.
I will write down the name and maybe some day I will come across one.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

My seeds were just from burpee and martha stewart. there are great prices on seeds now. 30% off.
look around. If you have Kmart. look for plants. :)
Starzz...am putting on a photo now for you. go to photos

This message was edited Sunday, May 19th 8:00 PM

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Going to look now Mings...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images