AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2002
1:03 PM

Post #29862

Several of you have asked me (and perhaps other DG'ers) for help setting up your journal. There are two ways to approach a garden journal: very simple (the "spiral notebook" approach), or more complex (before I found DG, I kept a three-ring journal with categories for trees, perennials, annuals, purchases, seeds, etc. - much more complicated.)

From the sound of things, many of you are "spiral notebook" journal-types, which is perfectly fine, and very easy to do with the online journal here (I promise :)

Open up your journal. Scroll down to "Manage Categories" and add a name (maybe "2002 Journal" or whatever makes sense to you.)

Hit submit.

Go to your Main Page (link in the right-hand column)

Scroll down to "Access by Category" and click on the category name you just created.

Click on "Add an Item."

Now you'll see boxes for Common name, genus and species, and a description field. You can use it to add a plant, or use the common name field for something else (I have one for "Garden Ideas", - in that case you can skip the fields you don't use.)

That's all for now; next I'll give you some pointers for adding entries.

When you've finished these steps, feel free to report back here on what you did, and how it worked. If you had any problems or questions about this step, post 'em here, too :)
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2002
4:38 AM

Post #264545

One thing that helped me learn to use my journal was not putting too much stuff in it until I'd gotten the hang of it. I had to move stuff around, delete categories, re-do the way I listed things, etc., etc., and it sure was easier when there wasn't much in it.

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2002
4:50 AM

Post #264547

The thing that helped me most was looking at other peoples journals to see how they had theirs set up. Then I decided how I wanted to do mine. Before I did that, I had no idea how I wanted my catagories set up. Taking an hour or so to look at other journals probably saved me tons of time later, because I didn't have to do it over when I changed my mind of how I wanted the catagories arranged.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2002
7:09 PM

Post #264857

I deleted all that I had messed with in the past months and decided to start fresh.

I named two journals "Gardens 2002" and Garden Purchases" - HOW do I switch between journals to add categories to each one?????? Every time I click on the main page to the right I get taken to the "Default Journal"?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2002
7:21 PM

Post #264860

Haighr, on the main page, you'll see a section titled: "Change your default Journal" It will show you links to any and all journals you have set up. You can click on whichever one you want to access.

In your case, I would recommend that you set up ONE journal. Call it Journal 2002 or whatever.

Within that journal, create TWO categories - one for Garden Purchases, and one category for your Journal, per se.

(I call my journal category "Almanac and Journal" because it alphabetically always comes out on top, and I like the sound of it, LOL.)

When you do it this way, you won't have to worry about switching between journals to log purchases vs. other stuff.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2002
2:29 PM

Post #265449

I am getting the hang of it a bit now, I added a todo item for this Sunday. When I click on TODO items from the main page it goes to the item I entered, and shows the #, item etc., but where do I find what it is I wanted TODO? Underneath it says to change from TODO but I don't see the actual entry?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2002
2:51 PM

Post #265461

Now that we've covered creating an item, we're ready to start adding entries.

When you add an entry to an item, click on "Add" next to the item you created. You'll now do three to four quick steps:

1. Specify the date - it will default to today's date, but you can make it a date in the past or a date in the future (especially good for to-do's);

2. Label it as a status update, an action you performed, or a to-do item; and

3. Add details in the description field beneath that pull-down list (it says "Enter your update") to describe the to-do, or a status update, etc.

4. (Optional) - add a photo. In the same way you add a photo to a forum or the Plants Database, you can add a photo to each entry you make. This is especially nice for tracking a project's progress, a plant's growth, recording the changing seasons in your garden, or logging an idea you saw in someone else's garden.

(Hint: if you add a photo, be sure you add a caption at the time you add it. You can always go back in and edit the caption, but if you don't create one to begin with, you won't be able to add it to the photo later on :)

Here's another small task for everyone who's working on their journals: Go to your to-do list on your main page. Assuming you've created an item (i.e., your journal), you'll have a to-do, even if you didn't mean to create one. Click on it. It will say "sow this today", regarding the item/journal you've created. You can edit it or delete it -and if the item you created is your journal, I'd suggest you delete this to-do.

Any questions? Please fire away - I'm glad more people are interested in getting their journals started, and we're here to help get you going :)
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2002
7:46 PM

Post #265593

You GO VOLS - and talk and help volumes, thanks so much, I think I am on a roll now and will soon come out of the closet on this one as right now the journal is still private, but not for long thanks to you and some organizational skills!
clairsflowers
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2003
2:52 AM

Post #594453

Hi, I am a newbie. Just started my journal. I can't seem to be able to find how to add a picture to my journal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Clair
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2003
3:21 AM

Post #594470

I don't know if there's a way to do it when you create the item, but to add an image to an item that already exists:

On the main page, choose the category the item is in (you might need to change journals, if you have more than one)

You get a list of all items in that category. On the right, click Add next to the item you want to add an image to. (or you can click to check the box on the left, then click the Add an Entry button at the bottom)

Under the box where you type in the text is:
If you have an image associated with this update, add it here:
Click the browse button, find the image on your hard drive, click open, then submit.

You might want to type some text in the box ...

BTW, Welcome to DG!

Cheri'
clairsflowers
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2003
12:33 PM

Post #594658

Hi, Thanks so much for the help. I found your info most helpful. So simple to do after you know how to access it. Clair

Thumbnail by clairsflowers
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2003
6:32 AM

Post #595479

Is there a way to keep the copyright off just the photos you submit to your journal?

thanks
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2003
1:41 PM

Post #595660

Before you submit a photo to your journal, go to your preferences and choose Copyrights, near the bottom of the left menu.

Select "no method" and click submit.

When you are done in your journal, you might want to go turn copyright protection back on.

Cheri'

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2003
2:31 PM

Post #595706

Great. will do. thanks!!!
Candycane
Camberley, Surrey
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2003
8:53 PM

Post #658779

Thanks, I am just getting started, and have found this all most helpful. Quick question, I was unsure of a Common Name so left the field blank, however, the system would not allow me to save the entry. Any ideas?

Candy
dave

September 23, 2003
9:13 PM

Post #658792

Hi Candy,

The common name is just the name of the entry, so if you are talking about a plant, give it a name. If you are talking about something else (say, building a deck) then put something like "Deck building project".

That "common name" is what the system will always use to refer to the entry as, so give it something descriptive that will help you remember what it in the same.

Hope that helps! (Welcome to DG!)
dave
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2003
4:07 AM

Post #659123

When I started my journal I did not use the "Default Journal" I created one called "Outdoor Gardening". Then later I created a 2nd journal called "Garden Planning". Now I've got this "Default Journal" that's empty and cannot seem to delete the "Default Journal". Is there a way to do that? I think at one point I even tried moving the entire "Outdoor Gardening" journal to "Default", but then could not rename it to be "Outdoor Gardening" so I ended up moving it back to "outdoor Gardening". (Does that make sense??) Any way to delete the default journal?? Brenda
dave

September 24, 2003
12:33 PM

Post #659286

The "Default journal" must still be there, although you don't have to use it. Just ignore it. (If you can!) :)

dave
Torquay
Lansing, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2003
3:06 PM

Post #683669

I did not look at others' journals before I started on mine. Got it all messed up. Is there anyway to clear it all out and start over or go back in to delete or rename?
dave

October 17, 2003
3:36 PM

Post #683694

Torquay,

If you'd like, I can clear out your journal for you (I've done it for others in the past). Let me know!

Dave
Torquay
Lansing, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2003
2:51 AM

Post #684213

I'd REALLY appreciate it Dave, thanks. This is a wonderful site; I'm so glad I found it.
Jenks
Social Circle, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2003
10:09 AM

Post #727288

Thank you for this post-I can't believe I couldn't figure it out on my own!
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2004
12:20 AM

Post #741303

I have a question. What is the best way to save your journal? I would like to save it on CD but guess I am not computer smart enough to figure out how to do it. Do I have to go into each entry and save it that way or is there a way I can save it all at one time?
dave

January 1, 2004
12:31 AM

Post #741315

mystic,

Unfortunately yes, that is the only way to save it - one entry at a time. I did consider a couple years ago making an easy backup system for the users, but I never did it as it was a fairly complicated procedure. Did you want it backed up in machine-format (like a big binary file) or page-by-page in a zipfile?
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2004
1:03 AM

Post #741333

Either way would work. But I really wanted it in a machine-format. It's no big deal. I know you back up the files everyday. But it would be nice to be able to check on something if DG or my server was down.
JoanR
South Lake Tahoe, CA
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2004
1:39 AM

Post #746252

I'm in need of some help. I can't get to the main page of my journal. I click on the main page link, but nothing happens - I'm always on page 3 categories. Can you fix that at your end please Dave? Many thanks...
hotlanta
Lilburn, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2004
2:21 AM

Post #764352

Terry, I finally found the "need some help" you suggested I click on in your email to my journal primer question. That didn't show up until I went into my "Default Journal" screen and that was after entries I realize now are wrong. I'm going back in and delete and start all over again. Also, I printed out this whole thread :)and am going to see if I can view some other journals to get some ideas. I'll get the hang of it eventually. Thanks.
CApoppy
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2004
2:55 AM

Post #789028

Although I have a few! things to do, I don't seem to have the gist of how to put something on a todo list. How do you tag something so it shows up on you todo list?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2004
3:07 AM

Post #789043

CAPoppy, when you add an entry to a specific item, you can choose to label it as one of the following:

Status Update
To-Do
Action I performed

Choose to-do and make sure specify the date for it to occur.
CApoppy
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2004
2:44 PM

Post #789317

Thanks, Terry. Got it! Next question: I understand the RID but haven't figured out how to use the check box to the left of the individual RID numbers.
LimeyLisa
Princeton, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2004
6:41 PM

Post #789458

poppy, that check box is for mass actions. If you need to change 12 items from your wish list status (for example) to on order status. Then click the box on all 12 and then go to the bottom and choose change status. Easy to use!

LimeyLisa Ky
Pollygardening
RICHMOND, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2004
7:05 PM

Post #847897

I spent an hour trying to put in fertilizer receipes I wanted to store for future use -- I never could enter paragraphs under my categories!
reneabolt
Ashville, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2004
4:57 PM

Post #849660

I feel really stupid but what does RID stand for?? I know I probably should know this but I am brain deadl. Oh yeah I'm doing the journal I think it will be good therapy. Just bear with me.
dave

April 25, 2004
5:03 PM

Post #849663

The RID is simply the "Resource ID". This is an internal number used for tracking. Each item in the journal (yours and everyone else's) has a unique identifier - an RID. No two entries have the same RID.

You can then use the RID to easily reference an individual item. Here's why I put the RID in a visible area:

This spring I'm going to be starting seeds. So, say I start seeds for my federle tomato.

I go to the journal and create an entry for the federle tomato. Then I take note of the RID that the journal assigned my federle tomato.

When I sow the seeds, I write down (on the plant market) "Federle/XXXX" where XXXX is the RID number for this batch.

Then, as I take notes on what this batch of federle tomato seeds are doing, I will be able to easily locate the item in the journal through the RID.

I'm going to add in a little box in the right hand menu that will let you enter the RID and jump straight to the item.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2004
4:47 PM

Post #1031698

Hi Terry or anybody else,
I have startet a Journal a few hours ago,walked away ,came back to add dozends more Daylilies ...BUT I am not getting anywhere..I am totally confused,printed Your directions .

I do end up in my Journal ,I clicked on add below and also on the far right and nothing is opening at all for me to add.
Which mainpage are you talking about ? Dave's mainpage or my Journal main page ? I messed up already.

Really would like to get organized ...HELP PLEASE :-)
Thanks,
Brigitte
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2004
7:13 PM

Post #1031888

Hi Brigitte - I assume you've read through this thread and that's still not helped. You might try going to the Journal Tab and then clicking on the FAQ. It may be a little more helpful (or not!). Here's a link to it:

http://davesgarden.com/faq/journal/
dirttiger
Portland, OR

September 3, 2004
2:14 PM

Post #1032906

I am so excited that I found Dave's Garden, and my journal organization is going smoothly. The only thing I need to know is- does anyone know of a way I can move an item to another journal?
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2004
2:48 PM

Post #1032931

you got mail,
Brigitte
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2004
3:58 PM

Post #1034419

dirttiger - go to the item you want to move and view it. At the bottom you will see options to edit the item, add an entry to the item, etc. One of the options is Move to Another Journal. Hope that helps.
dirttiger
Portland, OR

September 5, 2004
2:42 PM

Post #1035481

Thanks langbr! Do you know how to copy an item to another journal. For example in my journal "garden 2003" I want to copy (not just move) an item to my "garden 2004" journal. Does that make sense? I was also wondering why in my journal I have a spot for "initial entry" but I can't seem to figure out how people are entering a seperate "initial notes" spot. I would love to enter intial notes for care & propagation but don't want to enter all that info in the "Initial entry" spot. Why can't I find the "Initial Notes" spot? Help!

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2004
2:27 AM

Post #1082996

Ok I am so glad people are still posting to this thread... I am really interested in finally doing a real garden journal (thank you very much for this feature, BTW! I just love Dave's!). I've tried starting 2 or 3 other journals but nothing really felt "right" (or maybe I just didn't have a clue what I was doing... )

My question has to do with the similarities between the journal and trade list. Am I adding a plant on two separate lists? Or should I only be using one for current plantings (like the journal) and one for items I can trade or that I want? I'm getting myself really confused on that one. I mean to say, I think, that I don't know exactly WHERE to put my current plantings (and or seeds sow or to sow)... journal? or trade list? or both?

(Know what might be really cool? How cool would it be to go to the PDB and find the plant that you have and be able to tick a box and add that item to your journal and/or trade list?!!)

Thanks for listening to the ramblings of a mad gardener (and that's "mad" as in "as a hatter"! lol)

~ Carole
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2004
5:50 AM

Post #1084736

From your mouth to Dave's ear, Carole!
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2004
6:02 AM

Post #1084749

Terry, let's talk sometime about a good journal, home "own" journal. :-) (not DG, but OUR stuff, and perhaps nice stuff we can pass down to our kids).
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2004
1:33 PM

Post #1084958

Carole -

Not sure if you ever got your answers...but here goes to the best of my abilities.

The Journal and Trade Lists are two separate things. However, Dave has made some interaction between them possible (you're able to copy items from your Journal to your Trade List and also from your Trade List to your Journal).

The Journal can be used for anything! I've seen people use it for crafts, recipes, home improvement projects, as well as, gardening. The idea would be to set up Categories in your Journal (Perennials, Annuals, Shrubs, Trees, etc) in your Journal. You need to decide what's best for you. Some use the ones I mentioned other set up by genus (Roses, Daylilies, Hosta).

Then you can create your items within these categories and add notes, photos, etc as you go along. Lets say you collect seed from one of your annuals. You can then Copy the item to your Trade List and show it as Seed you have to trade.

Let's say you really want some Monarda 'Jacob Cline' and you list it in your trade list as a Wanted item. When you get it in trade you cant then Copy it to your Journal from your trade list. You will need to add other info to the Journal entry after you've copied it but the Genus/species/cultivar info can be copied to the category in your Journal. You'll just need to add Status, Location, and any notes/comments after it's copied to the Journal.

Now all of this is just a suggested way of using these tools. There are endless possibilities. I have created separate Journals to keep a list of gardening tasks I need to do in Spring, Fall, etc. Some people don't like entering all the data item by item in their Trade Lists and actually make ONE entry and list all of their items for trade. It's not searchable that way but they can direct people to their list and not have to spend hours entering 200 seed genus/species in the computer.

I always tell people, that I found the biggest help to be looking at other people's journals. Feel free to browse mine and get some ideas. I wouldn't say I've got the greatest Journal but it does what I need it to do (although I am VERY behind on updating it!). I really do lots of my Journal work in the winter.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Brenda
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2004
1:39 PM

Post #1084963

dirttiger - sorry I didn't reply to your Sept 5th posting!! I feel terrible! In case you've not figured it out here's how to COPY an item to another Journal.

Click on the Category that the item is listed in (let's say it's Annuals). This brings up a list of the items you have in that category. In the far right column there is a number of actions you can take...Add, View, Edit, Delete and Move. Click on View, which shows the entry and any additional sub-entries for that item. You'll then need to CLONE the item which essentially makes a copied entry in the same Journal and Category that your current one is in. (note you can decide whether to copy all the sub-entries or not). Once you have cloned it, you can then go to the Cloned item and then MOVE it to the other Journal (use the MOVE function on the category listing above). Hope that explains it well enough. If not let me know.

Brenda

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2004
8:49 PM

Post #1085639

Ahhhh see the light bulb? hehe
It's ok... "I" do! lol

Thanks bunches, Brenda!
That really DOES help!!

Hugs,
~ Carole

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2004
9:13 PM

Post #1085659

Brenda, after much goofing around, wrinkling of the brow, and smoke billowing out the ears (from the gears grinding! lol) ... I found something here about moving items from one journal to another.

Most of what you said above... Select View from the right column of the item you want to move. At that point the options are:

Add an entry to this item.
Add a milestone to this item.
Edit this item.
Clone this item.
Delete this item.
Move this item to another category.
Move this item to another journal.
Copy this item to your tradelist.
Print this item (with images).
Print this item (without images).
External View.
Journal Homepage.

I chose 'Move this item to another journal' and was even able to select my category on the new journal. Worked like a charm!

Feel free to check my journal any time... though I'm still working on it (until the day I die lol)

~ Carole
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2004
1:48 AM

Post #1086004

Carole - Right you are!! I *thought* I had done MOVE before but sure missed it when I looked at the choices. Thanks for correcting my error!

Dirttiger - Please follow Carole's instructions on MOVING and not mine...much more simplified.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2004
2:38 AM

Post #1086077

Wow! That hardly ever happens any more (me being right) LOL (blushing now). Just glad I could help.. but even more glad I figured it out! LOL

And I was serious about someone (or anyone) checking my journal to offer suggestions.. I'm open.

~ Carole
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2004
1:21 PM

Post #1086435

Hey Carole I can't see your Journal!! Looks like you've marked it Private. To change it to Public you click on the PRIVACY link on Your Journal main page.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2004
2:43 PM

Post #1086499

Ruh Roh! Not intentionally anyway... going to fix it now.
Thanks for letting me know!
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2004
4:19 PM

Post #1086709

Looks like you're off to a good start, Carole. I've been thinking of starting a Daily Journal ala Terry. I see you've done the same. Looks like you've got quite a few different garden beds too! I love to read people's journals so I'll check in from time to time to see what you've got going on. :-D

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2004
10:28 PM

Post #1087172

Oh good! So you think I'm on the right track?
Yes, I have yours and Terry's Journals open in another window for reference.
I've created 3 new journals with different categories (hmmm are they all visible to you?) and I'm in the process of moving stuff to the right places. I'm nowhere NEAR done, of course, but I wanted to be sure I was headed in the right direction ; )

Thanks for checking!

This message was edited Oct 9, 2004 6:29 PM
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2004
12:59 AM

Post #1087377

Yep! I see all 3 of your journals. I think if you set your Privacy setting to Public then people can see all of your journals.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2004
11:41 PM

Post #1183685

Hi, just started 'journaling' today in preparation of finally moving to a home that I actually own, and can start planting for real. Question is, since I have been adding plants sort of 'higglety pigglety', is there any way to have the entries organized alphabetically, instead of by order of entry? Or does that have to done manually (if it can be done at all)? I have over 500 plants to enter, and if I go nuts like my last garden, I will have over 4000 eventually. Very difficult to find entries that are not ordered alphabetically.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2004
1:17 PM

Post #1184490

palmbob, first congratulations on your new home!! that's awesome ~ and exciting!!

my suggestion would be to utilize the 'Add this plant to your trade list' link at the bottom of each PDB page to add items to your have / wish list. you can still edit the names if you'd like, but i rarely find it necessary.

you can always sort on any column in any of your lists by clicking on the header "Click on any table header to sort by that column."

hope this helps.
~ Carole
Ursula
Santiago
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 8, 2004
1:23 PM

Post #1184504

Congratulations for your new home, Palmbob!
larrycook
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2004
1:21 PM

Post #1204254

How do I show how many of each variety, ie, Orinoco bananas I have?
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2004
2:24 PM

Post #1204319

Larry - are you wanting to show how much you have for TRADE? I see you have this listed in your Journal which is just like a written notebook, so you can just ADD an entry to that Journal item (Orinoco bananas). If you want to make this item available to others to see you have it to Trade then you'll need to start your Trade List.
larrycook
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2004
7:29 PM

Post #1204632

I am not interested in trading at this point. What I do want is to show in catagorys that I have 5 Orinico bananas. How can I do that?

Larry.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2004
12:23 AM

Post #1204988

Larry - then you can COPY the single Orinico entry you already have. You can say you want FOUR copies and it creates them at one time for you. You then can edit each one with unique info/data on growth, location, etc. To create a copy you must be viewing the entry you want to copy and then select "Clone this Item". It then asks how many clones you want. The rest is pretty easy to follow.

Let me know if that doesn't get you where you need to go.
larrycook
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2004
11:49 AM

Post #1205505

Langbr, Thank you for help.

Larry
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2004
6:34 PM

Post #1206020

Your welcome. :-D
Abbyflower
Big Bear City, CA

January 19, 2005
2:24 AM

Post #1245631

By golly I new it was here
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2005
1:09 AM

Post #1247308

Hello Abby -- welcome to Dave's Garden! I take it you found the "help" thread you were looking for? LOL
judytim
Apple Valley, CA
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2005
5:09 PM

Post #1269715

I need help with the " to do" option. Have set up my journal, but when I select "to do", nothing happens, other than it tells me to use the menu on the right which doesn't appear. Can someone shed some light on this for me?
judytim
Apple Valley, CA
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2005
2:11 PM

Post #1271078

Oops! I now see how to access "to do". Now I need to know can you use this on more than one item individually? For example, if I have a "to do" item for my iris beds, must I enter a todo item for all 200 irises individually, or is there a way to enter a todo item globally?
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2005
3:54 PM

Post #1271263

I was hoping with Judy's inquiry that I would find out how to access the 'To Do' page. I tried it several times.
It reads 'Use the Journal Menu on the right to add a new item.' There is nothing on the right on the Journal page or the 'To Do' page.
Thanks for any help.
Linda
judytim
Apple Valley, CA
(Zone 11)

February 16, 2005
4:52 PM

Post #1291713

Found TO DO area by accident. After an individual item has been entered, go back to that item and hit add. Then when the add page comes up, under item "action I performed", you will see TO DO. Now I want to know if this type of action can be performed on a bed, or does the action have to be performed on an individual item. Waiting for an answer.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2005
6:05 PM

Post #1291850

Judy, why don't you start a new thread with this question?
canadian_flora
vancouver, BC

February 24, 2005
8:16 PM

Post #1306608

Hi I followed Terry's advice on how to "add an item" to my journal. When I try to, the page just returns to the main page... :(
tinygardener
Belle, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2005
12:42 AM

Post #1360693

Hello... another newbie here... I am not the greatest with plants, but have learned from my Grandmother since I was young. I have taught myself a lot over the years by trial and error. I wanted to say, I was just so excited when I stumbled across this site today. I have been working on my journal, again by trial and error, but since I found this thread, I think I will get the hang of it. I wanted to say Thank You! to Dave, and all the Admin people who obviously enjoy this enough to share with, and help the rest of us (and all the members who are so gracious to share also!). So... Hat's off to you! and thanks again! I hope I am able to get the hang of it, so that I use this regularly. R in STL

Thumbnail by tinygardener

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2005
12:46 AM

Post #1360705

tiny --- Welcome!!! Your first day here! Whoo hooo...you're gonna have a blast. I can't believe you're already working on the Journal. I think it took me until day 3 or so to get that far. LOL

Just give a holler wherever you happen to be here on Dave's (DG) if you get stuck on an aspect of the site. Everyone is very eager to help ya out. Keep an eye on the Dave's Garden FORUM because that's where announcement, site suggestions and ideas are discussed. You can also get help on site problems & issues.

Also be sure to head over to the Welcome Mat forum and say hello and introduce yourself. If you're into Lilies or Daylilies or Iris I'm sure I'll see ya around quite a bit. Are you a doctor or nurse? I noticed the stethoscope around your neck in the photo. :-D
tinygardener
Belle, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2005
1:00 AM

Post #1360740

Hello Langbr, thank you so much for your warm welcome... I will have to navigate my way around and find the lilies... ;-) There is so much to do, and I will be going back to work in just a couple days... I wish I had found this two weeks ago *grin* But, I will come as often as my schedule permits.. new ideas and suggestions are what I need. :-( not a Dr. or nurse... firefighter and emt for the state of NY... although I just moved this last year, back to St. Louis, MO and I am not sure I am going to transfer my emt to this state... although my firefighting, I think I'll hold on to *wink* I miss doing them both as a volunteer up by Alleghany National Forest, so, who knows? maybe one day I'll move back... Thank you again for your warm welcome... I really look forward to learning this site and all it has to offer.
R~
a pic of western NY ;-)

Thumbnail by tinygardener

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2005
1:15 AM

Post #1360774

Wow! Gorgeous photo, R. :-D
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2005
4:10 PM

Post #1366170

A big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG to ya, tinygardener !!

Nice to meet ya .. and truly enjoyed that beautiful pic you've shared and posted!!

- Magpye
angele

April 14, 2005
6:53 PM

Post #1403080

I can't seem to get into my journal this afternoon. I will only let me access the "default journal' which is
empty. The journal that has all my entries is "Elephant Butte Spring 2005 through ? (48 items.)" When I click on it I just stay in the empty journal. I can access it through the "view other journals" option but can not edit it from there. Any ideas? I am probably just making a dumb mistake but can't seem to get past it. Sorry for the trouble.
Homer (aka Angele)

Thumbnail by angele

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2005
7:00 PM

Post #1403092

Try scrolling down until you see your categories for this journal. Can you get into them and add to and/or edit them?
angele

April 14, 2005
7:14 PM

Post #1403110

I can't get to them from my journal page but will try from the view other journals page and let you know.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2005
7:22 PM

Post #1403119

So you can't see the "Access by Category" or "Access by Status" areas? (Be sure you've clicked on the "Elephant Butte" journal in the "Manage Journals" area first.)
angele

April 14, 2005
7:39 PM

Post #1403144

Terry,
here's a screen shot from my journal homepage. I had set my EB journal to be the default journal and until today it always opened first. Here is what I have tried
Clicked on the change your default journal every way I can think of: left click, right click & told it to open in new window, clicked while holding the shift key.
Clicked on manage journals which only gives me the option to change my journal's names,
Clicked on access all items- lists "0" items
clicked on manage catagories- shows me the two catagories from the empty journal..
Notice at the top of the page it says there are 9 categories?
Terry I should let you know I have high blood pressure which sometimes causes my thinking to be very cloudy. So the solution may be very obvious and I just can't see it. That is why I am sending you the screen shot.
thanks for helping.

Thumbnail by angele

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2005
7:54 PM

Post #1403169

If you've tried clicking on the Elephant Butte link, and that's what you're seeing after you do that, then that sounds like a "bug" that Dave needs to fix.
angele

April 14, 2005
8:03 PM

Post #1403181

Terry, I just lowered my privacy settings by one level under my internet options and I am now able to get into my EB Journal. I just downloaded all the new Microsoft security updates (6 of them)yesterday and maybe that changed something?

Sorry to have troubled you but maybe this will help someone else that runs into the same kind of problem

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2005
8:25 PM

Post #1403225

That's good to hear - I'm glad you were able to figure it out on your own, and yes - that information may be very helpful for others!
angele

April 14, 2005
8:33 PM

Post #1403243

Thank you Terry :-) The journal is so precious to me. Just posted a new picture of what I think is an apricot to my previously "unknown tree" entry. Now it's the "Maybe Apricot" entry.
Hugs

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2005
3:56 PM

Post #1528455

Someone just e-mailed me and noted that you can alphabetize the journal headings by clicking on a column category... is there anyway to alphabetize the entire thing, genus AND species at the same time? Otherwise, for me, the journal is really not a usable tool.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2005
5:59 AM

Post #1530443

I think Palmbob's suggestion is a good one. I've had a number of occasions where I'd like to have a primary and secondary sort column. Generally I want Genus and Cultivar, but could see where species would also be important.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2005
6:17 PM

Post #1621289

Is there a way to make the Diary Journal the default?
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 16, 2005
2:02 PM

Post #1627520

Wow this is pretty confusing to me. Guess I will just have to take the time to read and think about what I read. But is there a simple way to start? I mainly want to start with 4 lists: Daylilies in my garden, irises ditto, DL wish list, Iris wish list. Then I want to divide the DL lists into dip and tet. All I know at this point is the cultivar name...

Is there anyone that has the time and patience to point me in the right direction?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2005
9:03 PM

Post #1642502

It sounds like the "diary" option may be right for you, and a "sticky" note at the top of this forum will give you some pointers on getting a diary with multiple tabs up and running..
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2005
9:33 PM

Post #1765601

I just noticed today that there is an option in the Plantfiles to add that plant to your journal.

My thought was, if I see the plant in the PF's I can add it to my journal. So I went to my journal and set up categories, then went back to "Cardinal Climber" and click on the add to journal.

The next choice was to click on the RID or search the journal. I put in "vines and climbers" in the search journal box. It comes up "No Results Found". The brakes locked and I got no further until I came here.

Is it possible to build you journal by simply moving pages from Plant Files to your journal? This would be great if I could get it to work. I can usually only remember common names and with the Plant files entries, the botanicals would be at my fingertips.

What am I doing wrong that it won't take be forward?

Then I wanted to add my own photos too, but I need to try again on that one.

Molly
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2005
2:52 AM

Post #1766182

I think you might be having the same problem I had initially with adding PF to journals. Do you have just the default journal, or do you have other ones? When I just had the default journal, I would click on the add to journal link and it would give me a screen that sounds a lot like what you're seeing and the plant wouldn't get added. But once I created a new journal, then when I click on the add to journal link, the next screen asks which journal to put it in, then you can follow through and choose what category to put it in and everything seems to work fine. Hope that helps you!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2005
4:31 AM

Post #1766436

Ecrane,

I went back and tried it again. I now have a second journal. I tried this two ways.

I wanted to put Whirling Butterflies in my perennial category in the default. (I don't have it in there now) So I go to the plant files page for this one. Click on add to my journal. Then click on default and the search journal block shows up. I type in perennials. It says not found.

Next I tried Turks Cap *which is already in the default in periennials. I click default and put perennial in search. Not found. I go back and put turks cap in the search...still not found.

I'm dead in the water here. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what.

:^((
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2005
5:28 AM

Post #1766493

I think I've figured it out--seems like you can't add things from PF to your default journal. I just tried adding a plant to my default journal instead of the one I created, and it didn't work. Have you tried selecting one of your other journals instead of the default one when you're adding things? Hopefully that should work!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2005
11:15 AM

Post #1766650

Going now to try that. Once I get it started and working, do you know how much work I have to do? LOL

Could be a project for a lazy Sunday, Be right back.

Molly
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2005
11:24 AM

Post #1766652

Ecrane,

By Geoge it worked!!!!! Thanks so much for your help. Now I have a busy day, better get started.

Molly
:^)))
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2005
5:07 PM

Post #1767109

Molly,

Glad that worked! I know I had a couple frustrating days before I could get it figured out, but once it's working it's a great feature!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2005
5:23 PM

Post #1767140

Ecrane, you are a better person than me! It's taken me almost 2 years to get this far. I've been out to the garden this morning making the list to start the big transfer and it's getting easier and quicker by the minute.

Thanks again,
Molly
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2005
6:03 PM

Post #1767210

Ecrane,

I am back, little problem. I am having no problem addings plants from the Plantfiles.

Oh wow, I am really baffled. I started a journal of Plants to take North. That's where I was putting my plants from the PF. In looking in the journals, it appears as tho they are in the default.

Now I've run across one that is not listed in plant files. Specifically, Hosta 'Mouse Ears'. So I go to the hosta category at the bottom of the list is a button for "Add New Entry" when I click on that, it takes me back to the manage your journals page, every time.

I feel like a total inadequate idiot. Again, please help.

Molly
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2005
6:12 PM

Post #1767231

Oh no, now I just went back to adding more from PF and the categories aren't found, in any of the journals.

Waahhhh,
this is so frustrating.

Molly
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2005
7:19 PM

Post #1767356

Molly,

On your first question, to add something that's not in PF, go to your main journal page and click on the category you want to add something to. When you're in the category, you should see two links near the top of the page, one to prepare the page to print, and one to add new things to the category. If you click on this link, it should work (I can't get it to work from the Add an Entry button on the bottom of the page).

For your second question, I don't know what's going on--sorry! Anytime I try to add a plant, if I click Default Journal then it does nothing, but if I click on the Garden 2005 journal that I created then it always pulls up the categories so I'm not sure why you're not seeing yours anymore. Although, you should still be able to add stuff from PF even if you don't put it in a category--I've done this where I select my Garden 2005 journal, then don't do anything when it says to click here to select a category, and I've found everything I've added that way shows up under "Unknown" status, and from there I can change categories, etc.

Liz
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2005
7:42 PM

Post #1767388

Liz,

Thanks again for that. I managed to go back this time and do both different tasks. The category listing is back.

I'm just losing my mind and when it's all gone, I'll go play a game.

:^)))))))
Molly

You are a very patient lady.
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2005
1:24 AM

Post #1767997

Molly, There is a blue mouse ears PF. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/6004/index.html
Is this it? Linda
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2005
2:38 AM

Post #1768114

Thanks Linda,

Thats the one and it's added now

Molly
gototheboat
Orlando, FL

October 9, 2005
3:01 AM

Post #1805727

I'm trying to delete the defalt journal. how do I do this
lavenderwolf
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2005
4:28 PM

Post #1815948

In plant files you can click and add a plant to your journal. I have been doing this but cant find them in the journal. Where do they go? Thanks.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2005
4:45 PM

Post #1815966

Try adding a plant from PlantFiles, and look carefully at the link you're accessing to add it. Then when you return to your journal, you should be able to spot that link. If you don't...hmmmm. I guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it!
lavenderwolf
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2005
5:03 PM

Post #1816004

it says importing to journal. I bet I am doing something wrong. thats for helping me.
lavenderwolf
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2005
5:40 PM

Post #1816078

lol I ment thanks for helping me.
putteringone
Emeryville, CA

November 20, 2005
5:10 AM

Post #1885099

Is there a way to change the name of "default Journal" to a name of my own choosing???
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2005
7:01 PM

Post #1894681

I can't seem to find my plants in my journal. I usually start placing them in my trade list while I am looking them up on PF (at the bottom of the page). Example: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/1405/
After the plant is in the trading section I ask it to copy to my journal. http://davesgarden.com/trading/edit/viewentry.php?tlid=53913
It then takes me to my selection of journals http://davesgarden.com/trading/edit/journalcopy.php?tlid=53913 . When I click on Garage west the next page says it has been copied to the journal. I am not asked if I want to go to it like the other journals. http://davesgarden.com/trading/edit/journalcopy.php?tlid=53913&jid=1873
When i go to the Garage West journal it is not listed.
I even tried to just add it to the journal itself under Garage West where it says to add an entry but I ended up on Garage West main page.
I am not sure the links will work so I hope I explained it well enough for you to understand.
Linda
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2005
10:06 PM

Post #1894837

Linda,

I don't use the Trade Tracker, but here's something I've noticed when importing things directly from Plant Files into my journal. No matter what journal you tell it to put the plant in, it will always put it in the journal that you had selected as your default, so if your default journal was one other than Garage West then you might find your plants in the other journal instead. For example, I have two journals, one called Garden 2005 and one called Wish List. If I go to my journal homepage and select Garden 2005 as my default, then go to Plant Files and import a plant and tell it to put the plant in my Wish List journal, it will put it in Garden 2005 instead because that's the one I had selected as my default. Don't know if that's what is going on for you but might be worth checking.
CApoppy
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2005
3:27 PM

Post #1921665

This weekend I reorganized my journal (the one called Almanac and Journal). I was using FoxFire. I then tried to add an entry to a category I had just created (Shrubs/Bushes"). I had already moved an old entry into it. But every time I clicked on "Add an Entry" the page that loaded was the one that starts with "Need some help?"

I figured it was an abberation that would disappear when I restarted the site. No. I then decided to reboot. Same results. I then decided to use Internet Explorer. No luck. I then read this whole thread and tried lowering my privacy settings. I am still stuck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
CApoppy
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2005
3:32 PM

Post #1921675

Cancel above message. I just got it. Sorry.
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2005
4:54 PM

Post #1921815

ecrane, for some reason I just found your answer to me.
yes, that was what my problem was.
I was having problems with my Journal until I discovered I have to work from Top to Bottom. In other words, I can't change categories unless I start at the Top, namely the Journal name then work within that Journal. Every category in my South Journal can't be put in my North categories until I go to the North Journal first.
Thanks again.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2005
4:02 AM

Post #1922891

Glad I could help! I don't use Trade Tracker so I wasn't sure if it was the same bug I had run across or not, but I'm glad to hear you've got things working now!
runktrun
Edgartown, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2006
8:16 PM

Post #2006852

I am just getting started in my journal which I am using more as a "Landscape Record" partly for my own use of having organized records but also as a record that I can hand over to a realtor someday in the future who may very well compliment my years of hard work but comment on the care of the property may now be beyond the average home owner and limit potential buyers. Is there any way I can enter a start date prior to Jan 1 2000. I would love to use this option as the date of record that any tree, shrub ect were planted? I am unable to print out my journal pages including images am I doing something wrong? Thanks Katy

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2007082

Katy, I don't think you can enter a date prior to 1/1/2000. (Sorry!)
runktrun
Edgartown, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2006
11:24 AM

Post #2007961

Terry,
Thanks for the very quick responce it was much appreciated. I am also wondering what I am doing wrong when I try to print out pages with images my images do not print? Thanks Katy
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2006
8:29 AM

Post #2021506

Hi Terry I've just found this thread. I posted a question on DG Forum, but I think this is the place for it:
I've just started using my DG Journal (I know - how long have I been here? LOL)
Anyway, I would now like to change the title of one of my 'top level' categories but can find no way of deleting and replacing it. I've done it easily with the ones beneath - it's just the top level
Sorry to be a pain, but please can someone help me?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 4, 2006
6:02 PM

Post #2022306

I think you have to move everything underneath it to a temporary category, delete the one you want to rename and then put it in with the right category name. Then move everything back.

Maybe there's an easier way to do it, but I couldn't figure it out either. So I made up some temporary categories to put the things underneath until I got the top level category fixed. Then I deleted the temporary categories.

Since you are just starting, hopefully you don't have a lot of entries below the top level category.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2006
8:24 PM

Post #2022581

Thanks JoanJ, I was hoping there was some simpler solution. Oh well, I'll give it a whirl :)
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #2022595

LOL JoanJ, I went to do that and discovered that just down the page are some buttons to change the name of the categorey or delete it etc. So I did the change the name one and it worked like a dream. I can't have scrolled down far enough last time I was trying!
DG rocks LOL
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 4, 2006
8:48 PM

Post #2022642

Great! I wonder if that is a new feature since I tried to change the name of one of my categories? I have never noticed it either.

I'm glad you got it changed easier than moving everything first. :)
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2006
6:52 AM

Post #2023801

Yes, I couldn't believe I missed them - but then senior moments are more and more frequent LOL Perhaps they arrived in answer to my plea? Probably not...

Anyway it is a great feature and very welcome! Thanks for your help Joan

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2006
1:15 PM

Post #2026084

Sorry to be so late getting here - but it looks like you solved your own mystery. I don't remember when Dave added that feature, but it is a whole lot easier than the "move everything, delete, rename and move back" method ;o)
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2006
4:08 PM

Post #2026442

Yes, thanks Terry
What a relief to find how easy it was
runktrun
Edgartown, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2006
5:55 PM

Post #2037815

I have a Word 2003 document that conatains tables that I was hoping to add to my journal but I have been unable is there a secret? Thanks Katy
caerwin
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
3:01 AM

Post #2038958

I am trying to add plants from the Plant Files to my journal. I select add to journal under actions & get a message adding plant to your journal but the plant does not get added. Do I need to enter anything in the RID or Search fields for the plant to be added?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2006
5:13 AM

Post #2039352

runkrtun, I don't know the answer to your question, but I hope someone will see this that has done what you are wanting to do and post how.

caerwin, I think you need to set up some categories in your journal first, then you will be able to add plants to your journal from plantfiles. I'm not sure where they go if you don't have some categories set up first. Even if you only have two categories, perennial and annual, it gives you someplace to put the items from plantfiles. But if I were you, I'd take a look at some other people's journals here and see how they are set up and decide how you want to do yours before you add a bunch of stuff. It's just easier to have the categories right to begin with because it saves a lot of moving around later.

If you'd like, you can take a look at my journal to see how my journal is set up and what categories I have.

I just ran through the transporting an item from PlantFiles to my journal and here's the steps I took, (again, this is after the categories have been set up)

1) double click 'Add To Journal' from PlantFile page

this takes you to :

2) importing to your jorunal where you choose the journal you want to put the item in. This option is in case you have more than one journal set up.

3) once you do that, it will tell you that the plant has been added, then you can select the category for it to put the plant into. (One you have already set up I think) I don't think you can set up a new category at this point.

4) Then it will tell you the plant has been moved, and you can a) go to the entry b) go to the new category or c) go to the old category. I think options b and c only apply if you are moving an item that's already in your journal from one category to another category. If you are adding an new plant to your journal from PlantFiles, then you would choose a) go to the entry.

Okay, is this clear as mud? Maybe someone has an easier way, or can explain it better.

RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2006
1:37 PM

Post #2039668

Joan,

Nice to talk to you again. I see you have earned the prestigious Title as UBER. Congratulations.

I also have this problem. I did one just now. It registered in the journal but when it offered me my categories under the North journal it said I had none (No categories found!). I believe I have 6 categories under that Journal.

Thanks, Linda

I just found where the Daylily entry went. It did go to my North Journal but ended up in my unknown status. Here is the URL: http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/viewbystatus.php?status=0

This message was edited Feb 12, 2006 8:43 AM
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2006
3:07 PM

Post #2039906

Hi Linda, nice to see you again too. It seems that the larger this site gets, the less I bump into people I know. Thanks for the congrats too. :)

When you add something to your journal, it defaults to the unknown status until you go back to that entry and change the status, whether it be growing in the garden, dead, not yet planted or whatever you choose. Do you already have your statuses set up?

As far as the message 'no categories found' when you have 6 set up, I don't know the answer to that. I tried to take a look at your journal to see, but you must not have it set for public viewing. Maybe Terry will be along and can answer that one better.

caerwin
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
3:35 PM

Post #2039980

Joan,
Thank you for the help. Last night I finally got plants added to my journal from the Plant Files. One thing I have not figured out is how to add a hyperlink to the Plant File to the journal entry. I have noticed others who were able to do this in their journals. I also need to learn how to add a picture in the Plant File to my journal. I am not having any trouble adding my own pictures to the journal. I am having trouble getting the journal to print with my pictures. I am getting an error. I have taken high resolution 5 megapixel picutures. Is it possible the pictures I am using are too large (2578x1932)? I turned off windows firewall but this does not seem to make a difference.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2006
4:03 PM

Post #2040070

If you add the plant to your journal from PlantFiles "Add this plant to your journal" link, it should automatically put the PlantFile link in your journal entry. It didn't?

If you have plants already in your journal and just want to add a hyperlink to the PlantFiles entry, you can hightlight the url in plantfiles, right click and copy, and then go to your journal entry and rightclick and paste it in your initial comments area, or as an additional entry.

caerwin
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #2040279

I can get the link in the journal by cutting and pasting it manually but I still can't get the link added automatically. Where should the link show up when the entry is viewed if the link is automatically added from the PF?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #2040420

I added one to test and this is how it shows up for me when I am managing my own journal. It doesn't show up like this if I just go into view journals and pick my own. In other words, you can see your journal differently in manage your own journal than I can see your journal in view journals.

This is what the plant I added to my journal looks like right after I added it, but the Mirabilis jalapa shows up as a link in my journal, where it doesn't here.

Common name: Four O'Clock, Marvel of Peru (85231)
Genus: Mirabilis
Species: jalapa

Journal: Joan's Garden Journal
Category: Annual Flowers: 2005

Initial Comments:

There are 0 entries for this item.

Add an entry to this item.
Add a milestone to this item.
Edit this item.
Clone this item.
Delete this item.
Move this item to another category.
Move this item to another journal.
Copy this item to your tradelist.
Print this item (with images).
Print this item (without images).
External View.
Journal Homepage.
This plant is in the PlantFiles!

* Mirabilis jalapa
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2006
12:27 AM

Post #2041160

Joan,
I did not realize the journal was closed off. I opened it. I could not find out how to do it. I kept looking for it under 'My Info' and 'Extras'. I finally found it on my journal's front page. DUH!!

Since changing it I found that it will take me to the categories. I do not know how the categories and the open viewing are connected but it has solved my problems.

Thanks,Linda
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #2041237

Glad that helped Linda. I am not sure how having the journal open or closed would make the difference, but it obviously does. I think that may be the problem that caerwin may be having too.

Caerwin, try making sure that your journal is open for public viewing, and then go into your journal under the manage your journal tab and see if the link is there then.
MichaelGitlitz
North Salem, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2006
8:27 PM

Post #2061066

Hello! I have a journal imaginitively titled 2005 Garden Journal. I wanted to clone the entire journal into a new journal titled, 2006 Garden Journal, which I can then edit, but I can't seem to do it. Am I better off simply changing the status on plants which died or were eaten by deer etc.?

Thanks,

Michael
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2006
8:57 PM

Post #2061123

I had that same plan but couldn't figure out a way to do it, besides cloning each individual entry that I wanted to copy and then moving the clone to the new journal, and that would have taken way too much time. But I'd love to hear if someone else has figured it out!
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2006
5:47 AM

Post #2139717

Okay, having a similar problem as above when trying to add a plant from the PlantFiles to my default journal. When I had another journal up, only if I put the plant in the NON default journal, would it then give me the option of putting it in a catagory. Problem was, NONE of the catagories were in the second journal. All in default. So I moved everything to Default, deleted the other journal, and now can't seem to get anything over. Help???
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2006
6:25 AM

Post #2139728

Michael and ecrane3, if you go into the journal you want to clone, then go to manage journals, there's a link to where you can 'click here to learn how to move one journals contents to another journal'. Then it will ask you which journal contains the contents you want to move, and which journal you want to move the contents to. Try that and see if it works.

desert_witch, I'm not sure I understand, so please bear with me while I try. You moved everything to your default journal and deleted the other journal, right? So, now you have all your catagories set up in your default journal? And you can't add a plant from PlantFiles into your default journal? Am I understanding this right?

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2006
6:30 AM

Post #2139729

desert_witch, I now understand what you are talking about. I just tried to import a plant from PlantFiles into my default journal, and couldn't do it. I can,however, import a plant into any of my other journals. I don't know why you can't do it into the default journal.

Try setting up a new jounal, and doing what I told Michael and ecrane3 to do in the post above to import the information from your default journal into the new journal. See if that works.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2140462

Desert witch,

If you scroll through earlier posts in this thread you'll find a number of other people have had the same problem--for some reason the import feature from Plant Files doesn't work with your default journal, you have to set up a new journal and import the plants into it instead.

Joan,

I know how to move things from one journal to another; what I wanted to do was make a new journal for this year that would start with all the same entries from last year's journal (but I wanted to keep everything in last year's journal too) and then I could add new stuff as I got it. The only way I can figure out how to do this is to clone all the entries, then move them and that would take way too much time. It's not a big deal now though--I'm probably going to be moving within ~6 months so I'm going to wait until I have the new place and start a new journal for it.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2006
10:30 PM

Post #2140950

Okay, I see, and if you move it, it doesn't stay in that journal. Maybe Dave could whip up a program that would allow us to clone a journal.
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2006
10:50 PM

Post #2143320

Joan, and ecrane,
The problem with simply adding another journal is that When I was importing PlantFiles into the new journal, only the catagories from the default journal appear. I'm soooo confused!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2006
12:11 AM

Post #2143516

Hmmm...I'm confused now too. Did you set up new catagories in the new journal that are different from the ones in your default journal?

Hopefully Terry will stop in sometime. She's the wizard at journals. Or you could click on the contact us link below and ask if she can take a look at it when she gets a chance.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2006
6:04 PM

Post #2145428

Which journal were you in last before you started trying to import? For some reason it will always show you the categories from the last journal you were viewing and will import to that journal even if you tell it to put things into a different journal. So before you import, always go to the journal page and make sure you select the journal you want to import stuff into, then when you go to PF and import it should show you the right categories and your plants will end up in the right place.
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2006
11:49 PM

Post #2146153

Okay!! That's the problem, then! So, can I clone the old journal? Or will I have to recreate my custom catagories and them move everything by catagory?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2006
2:03 AM

Post #2146502

Take a look back at the first part of Joan's post from 3/25 at 11:25 PM--she gives some directions there for how to move things from one journal to another. I've never moved things from one journal to another so don't know whether you'll need to recreate your categories or not.
MichaelGitlitz
North Salem, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2006
9:28 PM

Post #2166602

Joan, Thanks for your post from 3/26. But unless I missed something, the directions seem to allow me move an entire journal's contents but not to clone them to a new journal. I would like to clone the contents, not move them, so that I can keep the previous year's journal as a record while having a new journal that is not cluttered up with entries that are no longer relevant. I understand if this isn't possible on DG, but hope this clarifies what I was trying to do. Thanks again, Michael
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2006
9:50 PM

Post #2166648

Michael, I believe you are correct about my instructions. It is to move an entire journal, not clone it. I misunderstood what was being asked.

It doean't appear to me that you can clone a journal, unless I'm missing something. You could ask on the Dave's Garden forum, and maybe Dave or Terry can tell you for sure. If it's not possible, Dave might even add it to his To-Do list. :)
budzy
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2006
9:12 PM

Post #2192995

Rendering---What does this mean. I have built journels but there are no coloums to the right as described in the instructions.
budzy
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2006
6:44 PM

Post #2197230

Could you look at my journal and see what is wrong? I have tried to work with it but I never get a chart on the right side of my screen like I see everyone else have to fill in. thanks
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2006
7:06 PM

Post #2197271

budzy, I just took a look at your journals. The only category I could find that you have set up is in your Flower Garden Journal, and you have the category tree.

If you click on tree, it should tell you that there are no entries yet, and have a "Click here to add a new item" That's if you want to add all your different trees in that category.

Or, you could add subcategories under tree to place your different trees. In the main menu of your journal, click on tree, then add subcategories like conifers, elms, or whatever. Then once you have the categories and subcategories set up, you can start adding the trees.

To add the trees to the category, go back to Access By Category and you can add the trees by clicking on the category you want to put the tree in, whether it be just under the category 'tree', or if you created specific subcategories under the category 'tree', you can choose which subcategory to put it in. Click on the category you want to put the entry into and you will see a blue "Click here to add new item under this category.

That's were you will fill in the information on the specific tree you are wanting to add to your journal. Once you add an entry, then you will be able to see the chart with the information for the entry.

Make sense?
nivlac
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2006
11:06 PM

Post #2239897

I am still trying to get the hang of this journal. For the newbie in town it is not very user friendly :( however, I do realize that over time it might become easier to handle and use. So, until then could someone explain to me how to get the TODO list status going. I posted a Future ideas Category which is my TODO list for now. I would like to change the status of my entries to TODO not Unknown.

Also, I was wondering if this web site set up was easy to edit change and modify. I would really like it if when I logged on, I went staight to my Info page instead of getting the Welcome page. If I went staight to my info. then it would feel more personalized. You know something like "MY Yahoo web page". Giving me instant access to my mail, journals, threads I am watching and have posted, with reply notices to my questions and threads, ect. Just a thought.

Well, if you canhelp with the TODO question, or have a comment for me please send it Dmail so I can see how that works.(I have yet to experience this, I am new to the community as of 04/30/06.

Thanks to all
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2240262

You can customize how your home page looks. Click on "My Info", then "Manage Preferences", then "Customize Home Page" and it will let you pick what you want to see on your home page and in what place on the page.

As far as your to do list, it is not a status. A status is something you create, for example I have statuses for planted in garden, planted in container, removed from garden, etc--you can make them whatever you want. The way the to do list works is that once you have entered a plant, you can go to that plant, click on "add". You'll get a screen that asks for the date, what type of entry this is, and then a blank box to add whatever comments you want. The "what type of entry is this" is where you can choose for it to be a to do item.

I highly recommend that you read through the previous posts in this thread--I know it's long but there are lots of good tips and tricks along the way. And you can take a look at other members journals too to get ideas of how other people do things.

Also, I looked at your journal, and based on what you have in there now I almost wonder if you wouldn't be happier using the Garden Diary for this information instead? I find the journal to be most useful when you have specific plants in your garden that you want to keep track of things about them individually. The garden diary is more friendly for general thoughts, plans, etc on your garden which seems to be what you have in your journal entries. You can of course use things however you want, but for example in your vegetables entry, you have in your comments that you have 6 corn, etc planted--the way I would use the journal would be to create an entry for corn, an entry for squash, an entry for tomatoes, etc, then you can add comments to the individual plants. Then you could also have a place in your garden diary where you could add comments on the vegetable garden as a whole.

Hope that helps!
nivlac
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2006
2:30 AM

Post #2240598

THank you ecrane3 for the help. much appreciated. and I will check out the Garden Diary when I get a chance. I have to go to work now, when I get a break I will check it out.
sumer64
Austin, IN
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
5:04 AM

Post #2250284

I am stuck on step 3 with no list of any type and can't go forward, could someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong so that I can try to start my journal. Thanks
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2006
5:07 AM

Post #2250288

sumer, can you tell me exactly what you mean by step 3?
sumer64
Austin, IN
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
5:33 AM

Post #2250325

Joan,
In my journal it has me choosing a catagories to add to but I have no catagories or subcatagories and I can figure out how to start over or start a ne journal.
Sumer
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2006
6:25 AM

Post #2250357

Sumer,

Okay, it looks like you have one category.
Quoting:This journal has 0 items inside of 1 category.

From the main menu of your journal, go into Manage Categories. You can click on any category to drill down and perform actions against that category. You can add subcategories to that top level category, or delete that top level category if you don't have subcategories underneath it. If you do have subcategories under the top level category, you will have to drill down to the subcategories and delete them before you will be allowed to delete the main category.

If you want to add a new top level category, you can go to the bottom of that same page and add it in the box and submit.

Once you have the categories set up as you want them, find the link on the page that says either "When you are done, click here to return to your main journal page to continue." or "Back to your journal homepage".

Once back on your journal homepage, you can click on any of your top level categories and then click on "This category has no entries yet. Click here to add a new item." This is where you would enter the plants you want to add under that category.

If you set up subcategories, you click on that subcategory and then on "This category has no entries yet. Click here to add a new item." This is where you would want to enter the plants that you want to put under that subcategory.

Try this and see if you can get further. I'm off to bed now, but I'll check in tomorrow when I get a break at work. Feel free to click on my name and take a look at my journal. It may help you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Good luck!

Joan
sumer64
Austin, IN
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #2252775

how do I start my own journal apart from the default one

Sumer
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2006
3:31 AM

Post #2253166

From the Main Menu on the first journal page, go into Manage Journals, then leave the first box alone, because it defaults to new journal. In the second box, type in what you want to call the journal. Then hit submit.
Lenka_
Princeton, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2006
9:03 PM

Post #2355486

Maybe you have answered this before. But is there any way to remove the Default Journal? I think I've added a new one, but I actually was trying to rename the default one. Now I have two - default and a second one. And that wasn't the initial idea. They seem to have the same number of categories as well as the same item that I've initially added. Or am I doing something incorrectly?

Appreciate your assistance,
Elena.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2006
9:11 PM

Post #2355508

Mmmmm, nope there's not. To be honest, the "default" thing has always thrown me for a bit of a loop too.

IMHO, it would be best if we could name our default journal - even if it has to be a permanent fixture in our journal area, and even if it still has to display "default journal" after the name we give it ;o)
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2006
5:49 AM

Post #2540741

I'm not seeing the "Manage Categories" option. I go into my Journal tab, select "Manage your own journal" and all I see is one category listed, "General" and no way to add any additional categories. I must be missing something.

Donna
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2006

Post #2541426

I wonder if you never finished the initial setup for the journal properly? Someone else I helped out with a different problem was seeing completely different screens than I was and it turned out it was because they had never finished the setup. Unfortunately it's been so long since I set up my journal that I don't know how to get back into the setup and fix it, but hopefully someone else will remember.

What you should see when you click on manage your own journal is a screen with multiple sections, first one is called "your journal summary" which says how many categories, etc I have, then the next section down says Main Menu and that is where the manage categories link is. When you click on that, it pulls up a list of the categories you have, and underneath them there's a space where you can add in a new category.
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2006
5:54 PM

Post #2542251

That may be the case, but I'm stuck!!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #2542269

Can you post a screenshot of what you see when you click on "manage your own journal"? Or if you can't do that, then at least type in here what it is you see on the screen when you click that link (make sure you scroll down to the bottom of the page, sometimes options are out of sight and you don't see them unless you scroll). I can only view your journal as an outsider and from that view it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it so I don't know why you don't have the main menu that everyone else does.
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2006
8:32 PM

Post #2542886

Here's what I see...

Thumbnail by DonnaA2Z

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2006
12:44 AM

Post #2544059

OK, that's what I thought, you're still in setup mode. I'm not sure if this will work, but here's what I would try. Click on the general category and add an item (make it up if you have to, you'll be able to delete it later). Then keep going following the directions on each page until it's not on Step # xxx anymore (I'm not sure how many steps there are, but you'll need to get through all of them I think before your journal will work normally). Once you've gone through the rest of the setup steps, you should be able to click on the journal tab, then manage your own journal, and the screen should look like I described (main menu category with various options such as adding categories, etc). Then you can go make real categories.

One other thing I would suggest--if you plan to use the option of importing plants from Plant Files into your journal, I would create a new journal other than the default one--for some reason the import feature doesn't work with the default journal (this is something else that you can do once you get through your setup steps--it's an option in the main menu just like adding categories)
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2006
1:19 AM

Post #2544242

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!!
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2006
1:27 AM

Post #2544281

Ok, that appears to have worked...

Question, how do I delete a category... it's not giving me an option to do so.

Nevermind... DOH!!!!!!

This message was edited Jul 24, 2006 9:28 PM
bgentle
Vernon, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2006
3:31 AM

Post #2577429

I am unable to add an entry from in the status screen. When I click " add entry" it goes back to the home page. What am I doing wrong?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2006
2:23 PM

Post #2578336

"Add an entry" is used if you want to add comments to an existing plant (and the reason it keeps taking you back to the home page is that you didn't tick off the check box next to the plant you wanted to add an entry to since that wasn't what you were trying to do). I'm not sure if you can add plants when you're in access by status, I would go to the access by category section, click on the category that you want to add your plant to, and above the table listing everything you already have in the category, it'll say "add another item under this category". Click on that, and then put in your info.
Peachykeen
Seward, NE

August 22, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2647745

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my journal. I've successfully added one plant entry, but now I'm trying to add another one and I'm stuck. What does "Jump to RID" mean? When I'm viewing a plant in the database that I want to add I hit the button "add to journal" and then get a screen that says "You are importing a plant" but then I don't know what to do next.

Thanks for any help.

Di
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2006
7:36 PM

Post #2648597

Jump to RID is if you know the RID for the plant you want to find in your journal (this is the number that the computer assigns to each entry...personally I never use this button because if I'm looking for a plant I'm much more likely to know it's name than it's number!)

As far as adding plants to your journal from Plant Files, are you trying to add plants to your default journal? That doesn't work for some reason, you have to make your own new journal and then you should be able to add plants to it just fine (if you want to read more on this, scroll up through this thread, this problem has been discussed several times before). When it's working right, it'll pull up a screen that asks you first what journal to add to, then what category to put it in, etc and it's pretty straightforward. But if you're trying to add things to your default journal then you get something that looks like what you're describing where it's not clear what to do.
Peachykeen
Seward, NE

August 23, 2006
5:31 PM

Post #2651878

Thanks ecrane3... it worked!!

Di
diamndsnjns
Crosby, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #2667463

My computer kicked off while I was loading images in my journal that I just "kinda" figured out last night. Now when I go into my journal, it's not showing anything but still shows I have 107 items...I can't seem to find the items...where do I find them or do I start over?

Edited to say:
I've found my stuff...I think...but I have to enter a RID number, then go to the 2006 catagory to get into all of the items...I know I messed something up, just not sure how to fix it.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 9:55 AM

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 9:55 AM
tulloch52
bundaberg
Australia

September 28, 2006
4:33 AM

Post #2765573

Dear Dave's Helpers,
I create a new category then go to Manage Your Category's click on to same to add detail etc but keep being returned to add a new category page. Why can't i get in to the new category?

Bazza
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2006
2:16 PM

Post #2766266

Are you sure you're getting returned to the same page? I have a category called Annuals, and when I'm in manage categories and I click on it, it takes me to a screen that says Managing Your Categories: Annuals on the top, and there's a box to add a new sub-category. If you're trying to see the actual plants that you have in that category or add new ones, you don't do that through Manage Categories, instead you should go back to your main journal page and scroll down to the section where it says Access By Category, then if you click on the category there it'll show you the plants you have in that category or let you add new ones.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
12:51 PM

Post #2769480

Help Please.. How do you copy entries from one journal to another?. How does the clone feature work?

I want to copy entries of my daylilies from one journal's category as an entry into another journal's category. Just hope there's a way to keep from typing the same info already included in another journal.

Hope this makes sense. I feel brain-dead this morning.

Deborah
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2006

Post #2769687

There's not a one-step way to copy something from one journal to another--you will have to copy (clone) the entry, then move the clone to the other journal (cloning creates a copy of an entry, you can choose whether to also clone all the entries and images of that plant, or just the plant itself). Once you have your clone, "view" the entry and you'll see a link to move to another journal, then just follow the screens step by step to get it to the journal and category that you want.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
3:04 PM

Post #2769830

Thanks, ecrane3!
tulloch52
bundaberg
Australia

October 5, 2006
3:23 AM

Post #2787100

Dear Dave's Helpers,
I find when I add anew Category I cannot add content to that new Category until the next day. They say self learning is the most rewarding knowledge!
I am now requiring info on the Chinese Date (Jujube) when planting from seed. I had eight seeds now zero with zero plants. I even tried the method of placing seeds in storage area of fridge for sixty to ninety days to help promote germination without success. I say without success as there are still four seeds in pots which should have seen the light of day by now. Still hopeful. " HELP"
I should mention i growing trees in sub-tropical climate.

Bazza
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2006
2:18 PM

Post #2787873

I have never had that problem with categories, not sure why you are. As far as your question on Jujube, I would post either on the Propagation forum or Tropical Fruit forum
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #3263168

I've looked at the previous 186 entries, and if my question was there and/or answered, I missed it. I am trying to use the Journal to keep track of my seeds, and hopefully their emergence into life. There are some 120 entries and the process is daunting. For example; under Penstemon, which has 5 of 16 entered, to enter number six I end up back at 'home' and have to scroll down to access by category and start the basics all over. Is there a way to add an entry to my Penstemon sub-category , and future categories without having to 'backpedal' so much ? It would be so much nicer if I could merely click "add next item".Hope I haven't overlooked the answer somewhere.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #3264015

You haven't overlooked anything, but if you don't like all that clicking you can use the back button on your browser instead. I hit it twice after I've added a new plant--that'll take you right back to the list of things in that category and you'll have the link to add a new plant (if you've done anything else like edit the entry after you made it, you may have to hit back a couple more times, but I've still found that's the easiest way).
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3264263

Sounds like a reasonable alternative. Thank you e3

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #3329558

What's the difference between a Journal and a Diary?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #3330290

The journal is more useful for tracking information about individual plants, and the diary is more useful for tracking everything else--things like how your beds look from season to season, landscaping projects, etc. If you want more of an explanation than that, it might help if you take a look at how other people have set theirs up--a lot of people have their journals and diaries public so you can take a peek and see how other people have used theirs.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2007
10:12 AM

Post #3332197

Thanks.
baagrant
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #3389072

This is the second day I have worked on my journal. I remember seeing nice pictures of the plants on the left side of my screen the last time, but not today. Today I have RID numbers. I want the pictures back, I don't really care to see the RID numbers. Can I get the pictures back? What do need to do?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3390154

The RID numbers are always there, if you have a picture the thumbnail will show up underneath the RID number. I'm not sure why your pictures disappeared, but I checked my journal and the few pictures I uploaded are still there just like they should be so there's nothing wrong with journals in general. I don't see any pictures when I look at your journal, so somehow your pics must have been accidentally deleted--can you remember the things you've done in your journal between when the pics were there and when they disappeared? Since they're gone now, I think the best thing to do is try uploading them again, but pay attention to everything you do in the journal and that way if they disappear again it'll be easier for someone to help you figure out what's going on.
baagrant
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2007
4:37 PM

Post #3391073

Thank you for the response. I had some computer problems in between the two entries but I wasn't in DG. Is there any way to use the Photos from the Plantfiles? Or do I have to have my own photo of each item?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #3391115

If you want the photo to show up in the thumbnail, you have to upload it from your computer. You can import plants from Plant Files into your journal, if you do that then when you go into each plant's entry you'll find a link back to the Plant Files entry, but you won't be able to look down your list of plants and see the pictures. If you wanted to save a pic from Plant Files and then upload it into your journal so that it'll show up as a thumbnail, you can do that only if you contact the owner of the picture and get their permission, otherwise you're violating their copyright. And then if they give you permission, make sure you turn off the copyright watermark when you upload the pics so that the pic shows with their copyright not yours.
ffg
Bethesda, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3857591

I'm new at this, so this may be a really dumb question. What is the easiest way to open up my journal? There is no link to it on my home page as far as I can tell. I've been getting to it by going to My Tools. Also, I can't find the link that takes you a page where you can set up a diary. Help!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #3857660

The diary and journal are both under "My Tools", the diary is now called a blog but it's the same feature that's always been there. The easiest way to get to your journal is just how you're doing it now going through My Tools--Dave's talking about adding a feature where you can add a few links to your home page if there are places you visit frequently that you want one-click access to, but I don't think he has that up yet.
ffg
Bethesda, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3857685

Thanks! Also, I've added several plants to my journal from the plantfile, but the link back to the plantfile does not show up when I go to the view option. Should it show up immediately?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #3857798

It should show up right away. There's a bug that occasionally happens where the link won't get made for some plants. I have it happen to me about 5-10% of the time on plants that I import. I've tried going back later and re-importing the plants where the link didn't come through and it still didn't work, so it must be something weird with those particular plants. The other thing to check though is whether you're looking in the right place for it--when you click on "view" to view that entry, the PF link is all the way at the bottom of the page under all the options of things you can do to your entry, is it possible you just weren't scrolling down far enough to see it?
ffg
Bethesda, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #3857835

I double checked all three entries (Daylily Casual Pleasure, Daylily Aurora's Wedding, and Daylily "Bably Blues"), but none of them had the link at the bottome of the view page entries. Strangely, I'm positive that yesterday I entered a Daylily called "Enchanted Butterfly" manually (not using the plantfile) and today it had the link to the plantfile under initial information, but after I edited part of that field, the link disappeared. I then deleted everything and started again to add plants from the plantfile with no luck in getting the links to show up.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3858065

There's no way you could have had a link to Plant Files unless you imported it from PF, manually created entries can't have that. Also, if you edit some of the fields (common name, genus, species, cultivar) then I think the link goes away because it's no longer the same plant that's in PF. So if you've been editing any of those fields that could be why your link's not there.

It's possible there's just a problem with some of the daylilies--I tend to grow things from a number of different genera so I only notice the problem occasionally, but I remember someone else who was entering a bunch of plants of the same genus ran into the problem with a lot more entries. So my suspicion is that there are blocks of plants in PF that have something wrong with them that won't allow the link to be created.

I'm still not 100% sure you're looking in the right place for the link, so just to doublecheck, here's a screenshot from my journal, as far as I know you have to be on the page that looks like this in order to see the PF link, it won't show up anywhere else.

Thumbnail by ecrane3

ffg
Bethesda, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #3861890

Thanks for all the info. I checked your thumbnail and my view pages do not have the link to the plantfile at the bottom like yours. This, for me, is a serious drawback to using the journal as I had intended. Did you by any chance try loading one of the daylilies I mentioned from the plant file to one of your jounals to see if you can reproduce this problem? I was loading mine to the default journal.

How can I request a bug fix for this problem? I would also suggest a way to link directly from the user's journal page to the plantfile to facilitate loading large numbers of plants. I have quite a few daylilies to load, so I'm hoping this bug with can be fixed before I spend all that time populating my journal. Aside from the daylilies, I have about 100 hostas to load, but haven't tried any yet.
ffg
Bethesda, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3861949

Just tried a couple of other things and I think I've solved my problem by a different route. I loaded Hosta "June" from the plantfile into two different categories - one at level 1, and the other at level 2. Neither had the link when I viewed it. But I tried cutting and pasting the link from the plantfile page for Hosta "June" into the Initial Comments field and that worked fine. Now I can link back to the plantfile from the view page using that link.
danneh
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #4125762

While learning how to use and update my Journal, I've need help from time to time. Searching this thread for answers has helped every time. Thank you to everyone for their contributions to this thread.
michaeljo
West Norriton, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #4143010

Over the last few days I have added 11 categories, 8 statuses and 52 items -- I think I started in my default journal, although it always showed 0 items, the top of the page said I was in my Default Journal. When adding the items, I was able to use the Access by Category section. Last night, I decided to create a new Journal called Plant List and moved all of the items, I thought were in my Default Journal, to the Plant List journal -- I received a message that the move was completed. Now I can no longer access any of the items I created. The Access by Category section is gone and I can't even access the items by status or from the TODO list -- all say I have no items. I tried changing the journal from Default to Plant List and still nothing. The main Journal summary page shows I have 11 categories, 8 statuses, 52 items and 2 journals (default and Plant List), both show 0 items.

I noticed a few others in this thread had a similar problem and tried some of the things they did (logout and back in again, rebooting, changing internet security/privacy, making my journal public) -- no of that worked.

Please Help!!! I'm addicted to my journal and going through withdrawl.

Michael
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #4143241

There does seem to be something weird going on--I went to look at your journal and it shows that you have 52 items, but then for both your individual items it says that you have 0 items in them. I don't know where your entries are hiding, but I don't think this is something you can fix yourself--hopefully Dave or Terry will be along shortly and be able to help you with it, but if you don't hear anything in a day or two, you might try using the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to request assistance.
michaeljo
West Norriton, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #4143332

Thanks ecrane3! I also sent this in an email using "contact us".
michaeljo
West Norriton, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #4153134

ecrane3 -- haven't heard from anyone from "contact us". Does it usually take a few days?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #4153934

They usually respond within a day or two in my experience (although I am usually contacting them about people illegally advertising, and there may be a separate queue for things like that which are going to impact the larger DG community vs things that just affect one person). Over the weekends things can be slower, the admins have families and gardens too! The first thing I would check is to make sure you really sent the message--after you type up your message, the first screen it takes you to is just previewing your message, you then have to click send from that page or else the message doesn't really go through. Go into your D-mail, in there you should see the message you sent, if you don't see it there they you probably never actually sent the message. But if it's been sent, then they have it so you'll just have to be patient, for all I know there might be 50 other people in front of you in line waiting for their journals to be fixed too!
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2007
9:25 PM

Post #4247726

Now I have started using my journal! How do I make the settings so I can allow other users to view my journal?
Beth
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #4247740

When you first go into your journal, under the heading "Main Menu" you'll see a link for privacy settings.
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #4247824

thanks!
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #4640722

I AM LOST! I need to delete my entries to my JOURNAL and start over after i have a better concept of how it works. I always keep a notebook, and it is easy; this may be to much for me right now and I will have to come back to what is a great tool, maybe the next spring/winter and try then after some reading up on it.

How can I clear all of the journal out to start fresh in a future time???
THANKS
fernman23 aka:Darren
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2008
4:27 AM

Post #4640756

First you need to delete all the entries in the journal, then if you go to your journal main page, under the main menu header you'll see an option to manage journals, and in there you'll see instructions to delete your journal. Or if that's too much work, you can just leave that journal alone and make a new one which you can do any way you want (making a new journal is also one of the "manage journals" options.)
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #4682439

I can honestly say, I have no idea how to do anything with my journal.
It looks like I did stuff to it a few years ago, but i can't remember how.

Dave, can you delete everything I did to it so I can start fresh.
I tried but it wouldnt delete lol.
maureen1952
Worcester, MA

March 29, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #4723606

Dear Terry,
This thread is just too long. i saved items under a jounral called cactus and succulents and one underr orchids and one called Summer 2006. Then i decided I would put my cactus and succulants by catagory and subcatagory (famiy, species etc.) I can't open any of the plants i've already saved to put into new catagories and don't know what to do. Could you look at it and tell me how to find my stuff and hopefully how to move some of it so it's a little more orderly?
Thanks,
Maureen
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4724151

I wonder if you're going into your journal the wrong way? There are two ways to get to your journal, one way you see your journal the way everyone else on the site would see it (if you've marked it public) but when you go in that way then you can't edit it, you can only look at things. The way to get to it so you can edit is to go to the "My Tools" tab, then go to the link for your journal. Once you're in there you should be able to open the plants you have and change categories however you want.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #4739770

This thread was designed mainly as a how-to to get folks started, but it has gotten too long, so I'm going to close it to any additional comments.

If you have specific questions (or comments/suggestions) about the journals, please feel free to start a new thread in this forum ;o)

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Journal "wish list" requests here, please Terry 175 Sep 25, 2013 4:26 PM
The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
"Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
Using both the journal and diary barbur 4 Sep 28, 2013 6:57 PM
How to set up your diary hgurule 25 Jul 16, 2010 5:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America