-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2001
5:37 AM

Post #3343

Yep, another mystery plant. This one I transplanted from behind my neighbor's house, so there's no chance I'll find the seed packet from it and have another "Doh!" moment!

The flowers weren't much - I *think* they were yellow and pretty small. I just thought the leaves were really pretty. It has a somewhat bushy habit, and it got about 2' tall last summer. It was in a fairly shady place originally, so I moved it to a similar site. Sorry I don't have more info, but at least the leaves are clear. And, nope, I don't need the impatiens ID'd. ;o)

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 7th 1:40 AM

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2001
8:15 AM

Post #66199

Whatever it is it has an interesting leaf shape to it and a nice color
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2001
11:47 AM

Post #66220

Could it be celendine?
Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2001
1:54 PM

Post #66240

I don't know what it is, but it is not celandine, which has a softer outline, color, and tends to be quite hairy. Also, it you break celandine, it oozes bright orange sap
FernCliffFarms
Dutton, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2001
5:30 PM

Post #66270

The leaf resembles a Virginia Creeper. Is it a vine or does it run?

FernCliffFarms
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2001
5:01 AM

Post #66442

Yes - The leaf does look like Virginia Creeper, but it's not a vining plant. The leaves didn't turn any color in the fall; they just eventually died back in the cold. It has a clumping habit and had small, insignificant flowers, yellow I think (but don't quote me on the color). It reached about 2' high.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2001
6:05 PM

Post #66546

Hi, I'm a new member and I love trying to identify plants. Your plant looks very much like Astrantia major to me. The only reason I am not 100% certain is because you said you think it might have yellow flowers and Astrantia usually has whitish, greenish or pinkish flowers. Do you recall the general shape of the flowers?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2001
7:51 PM

Post #77208

It is in bud now and appears to have fine sprays of flowers in clusters rising above the foliage. From the buds, it looks like the flowers are yellow. I'll get another picture when I borrow our friend's digital camera again!
Baa

May 25, 2001
8:27 PM

Post #77213

Hmm a tough one GW how about Anemone possibly A. pallida or A. crinita?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2001
8:34 PM

Post #77214

Gardenwife, your description of the flowers made me immediately think of some variety of meadowsweet (Filipendula). When I did a photo search, here's what I came up with for foliage - looks similar, but probably you're the only one who can say for sure: http://www.gnc.com/wellness/natpharm/Herb/Meadowsweet.htm

Here are a couple pictures of Filipendula in bloom - check out the cultivar with yellow flowers especially:
http://www.hort.net/gallery/alpha/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America