Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Xeriscape Gardening: good types for zone 7b 8a

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 533
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kelly333
Longview, TX

May 20, 2002
12:24 AM

Post #29915

Anyone know of good types of xeriscape plants for my zone? I live in NE Tx...thanks.
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

May 22, 2002
12:45 AM

Post #265775

Opuntia (Prickly Pear) cactus, salvias, artemisias, Iris, thyme, gaillardia (blanket flower), gazania, Oleander (tho some areas have a ban against it), rosemary, sedums...

That's all I can think of right now :)

Oops ROSES, sunflowers
Chris
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2002
5:26 AM

Post #269039

Kelley check ,my list here on GC.Natives such as Yucca's, Salizaria mexicana, Senna armata.
I also grow. Lavendar, Lantana,Echinacea, Verbena, Penstemon, Gallardia,Osteopermum, Lambs Ears. Dusty Miller, Rosemary, upright, and creeping. Agave, Ocotillo, Juniper, allysum.
Kelly333
Longview, TX

June 11, 2002
3:43 PM

Post #279012

Thanks for your help. I do grow some on your lists already. I hope to go to Yucca Do Nursery and find a few plants for a xeriscape garden. I already have salvias, artemsias, iris, thyme, one oleander, blanket flower, sedums, and roses. The roses have to have water here though. Salizaria mexicana, Senna armata I havent heard of. I will have to look them up. I also have lavendar, lantana, purple coneflower, verbena, penstemon, lambs ears, dusty miller, rosemary, and junipers. I guess I didnt consider what I already had. I saw a huge agave at an arboretum in Garland. It was AWESOME. I must try and get a strictly xeriscape garden going. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Tim10
Desert Hot Springs, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 21, 2002
2:32 PM

Post #286871

Hi Kelly! We are lucky to have our Resiident Expert, Michele. I don't know Chris, but that's a great list, too. I'm always surprised by the lack of action on this thread. I would guess that there are lots of people who live in arid climates with little available water. If Michele were a man, I would have to say " She da man!" when it comes to xeriscape knowledge. Good luck and have fun!
Kelly333
Longview, TX

June 21, 2002
4:40 PM

Post #286965

Hi Tim...yes we are lucky to have people on here who have knowledge, and experience! I got a prickly pear cactus yesterday. One more to my list!
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

June 21, 2002
8:57 PM

Post #287211

Forgot about the echinaceas. Glad it was on your list Michele. I've managed to collect types now. E angustifolia (Pale Purple), Epurpurea (Purple and White Swan), E tennessensis (flower petals turn upward) and E paradoxica (yellow flowers). So excited to have them. The White Swan, tennessensis and paradoxica will bloom next year (if all goes well).

Should I bag the flowers before they open to collect pure seed? I'd like to be able to share the seeds but I have a small back yard garden so there is no question that pollinators would cross them.

Chris
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2002
8:22 AM

Post #293098

Gosh! ...Thanks :)
I wouldnt call me an expert.
Just got back from Arizona / New Mexico.
Tree Cholla, Green canes with Magenta flowers.
New Mexico Prickly Pear to add to the collection.
Your Back Tim . We were supposed to get you some seeds.
OK. Invitation. Gunfighters for Hire show Sundays 2:30 each and every single Sunday until the 3 week in November. Notify me you are coming and I will give you seeds at the show. Hope your Dad is well Tim.
Its best to bag the flower heads on the bush. That would work :)
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

July 4, 2002
5:29 PM

Post #296021

Thanks Michelle
Chris

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America