Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Vine with small purple and yellow flowers.

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 15, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2002
1:03 PM

Post #29940

This vine is growing up in a bush in front of Pangie's home. The leaves are 2.5" long, not including the petioles and the flowers are 1/2" long including the yellow centers. What is this? Is it a weed? Is it annual? Is it invasive? I am smitten...

Here is a wide shot of the leaves and flowers: http://davesgarden.com/journal/si/6969.html

:) Kimberley

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2002
1:08 PM

Post #264661

night shade-weed gets red berries
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

May 20, 2002
2:04 PM

Post #264704

Solanum dulcamara - I think. We have it too, my cuttings have started to grow too, I took them last year =) Nice plants but berries are extremely poisonous and smell very bad. It is the only hardwood native vine here.. :]
naturepatch
Morris, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2002
2:58 PM

Post #264732

I believe it would be considered invasive. Spreads by underground runners and the birds help it reseed. I grow it anyhow. The flowers and red berries are worth it. According to my wildflower book, the American Bittersweet Nightshade is not as highly toxic as the European variety. Guess that's why the European form is called 'Deadly Nightshade'.

This message was edited Monday, May 20th 11:01 AM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2002
11:32 PM

Post #264991

Hmmmmmmm. It is really pretty, and it seemed very shallow-rooted when I yanked several of them up before leaving my friend's home, LOL. The only concern I have is their toxicity; then again, I grow foxgloves and they're poisonous, too. They're just lovely flowers!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2002
11:38 PM

Post #264998

I just saw this one on the NJ weed site. LOL Flowers are cool though, huh?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2002
11:43 PM

Post #265003

Sorry Kimberly, I was in Connecticut, not NH. ROTFL Here is is. http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/solanumdulc.html
Great site that Louisa posted in Wild Plants.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2002
11:44 PM

Post #265004

They are so pretty, yes! I just found this page with more info on them: http://www.wellesley.edu/Activities/homepage/web/Species/pnightshade.html

This is not the bittersweet people make into fall decorations, is it?

This message was edited Monday, May 20th 7:47 PM
Baa

May 20, 2002
11:47 PM

Post #265007

GW

The main problem with the Nightshades and toxicity is because the berries are shiny and juicy looking. Sometimes people, especially children, mistake them for edible berries. You wouldn't normally eat a foxglove because there is nothing your stomach might be attracted to on it but you might be tempted to pick a berry, just to see what it tastes like.

If you know something is poisonous then you treat it with extra respect and pass the knowledge on. There are many poisonous or problematic plants in a garden, even some commonly used herbs like Sage can bring on symptoms very like being poisoned if too much is ingested.

I personally wouldn't grow it but that's my choice (it grows wild here too). I think it looks weedy and seeds too much but there is no reason why you shouldn't grow it if you want to.
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2002
12:33 AM

Post #265053

Hey, be careful of the nightshade family. The varieties with red and yellow fruits are delicious (tomatoes)!

I have a deadly nightshade (Solanum negrum) growing and can't wait for the berries. Oh, the other common name is garden huckleberry.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2002
12:53 AM

Post #265070

Hey, when I first saw the leaves I thought they resembled potato leaves -- same family again, huh? Cool beans! Well, not beans, LOL...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2002
6:48 PM

Post #266278

Man, it's just like when you buy a car and suddenly everywhere you look other people are driving the same model as you. Now I see this little vine everywhere in little clumps in alleys, roadsides, etc. But I still really like it. :) I have five of them in pots now until I figure out where I want to put them.
lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2002
10:46 PM

Post #267581

One more word of caution before you plant these:

They are definitely perennial. Their roots roam far and wide seeking nutrients. When they find a patch of good soil, they grow voracious feeder root mats that within a year have displaced everything else. My neighbor allows hers to grow along the fence, and I spend many hours year-round yanking the matted roots out of my beds. They are worse than silver maple feeder root mats, if you can believe that! I have found some 40' from the nearest vine.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2002
1:36 AM

Post #267682

Oh, wow...Maybe I should re-think this. I guess I could put them in a big container in the ground to stop their roots from spreading. That wouldn't stop the birds from spreading the berries, but maybe I could keep a handle on the seedlings when I see them popping up around. Hmmmmm...Darn, they're so pretty!
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2002
6:06 PM

Post #268034

GW, since you like this vine so much, maybe I should send you about a box car load of the lower growing form. I agree they are pretty, especially from a distance in late summer when nothing else is blooming, but I spend way too much time pulling them out of my beds.
lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2002
6:24 PM

Post #268046

Go ahead and grow it in a pot! Pick the berries before they ripen and the birds won't be able to spread them (and also little children won't be able to eat them)! Gardening is for enjoyment!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America