-
AuthorContent
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2001
9:31 AM

Post #3389

The original photo posted in photos does not show the flower. The blooms are about the size of a quarter and will burst out all over the plant. It has been suggested it may be a varigated Hollyhock but I have not been able to confirm. But I think we may be on the right track. Will send seeds postage paid when I collect them this fall to whomever can give me a name for this one! {I'm getting desperate} a description is included on the photos page picture

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

April 8, 2001
10:47 AM

Post #66455

It's a dime plant!!!! Do I get the seeds???LOL! The flower does look like a hollyhock. Do the seeds form in a circle,in a hollyhock-like seed pod? I wish I could be more help. I would be interested in some seeds though.
bert
ehrikon
Switzerland
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2001
11:02 AM

Post #66459

now for me it]s clear, some varigated kind of hollyhock must be.
daisy_chain
Norwich, Norfolk
United Kingdom

April 8, 2001
6:13 PM

Post #66547

Right been doing a bit of research Zanymuse, is it...

PETASITES JAPONICUS var. giganteus "variegatus".

in english thats Butterbur or Sweet Coltsfoot?

This gets to 4feet high and 5feet spread??

Mary

April 8, 2001
6:44 PM

Post #66549

Looks like an Abutilon to me.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2001
7:19 PM

Post #66552

Check out some of the abutilon photos at this nursery.
http://www.clivia.com/A.htm

They have a few variegated varieties. I didn't see an exact match but maybe you can tell if it's in the right ball park. I don't know as abutilon would behave as a biennial?
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2001
9:01 PM

Post #66559

Im stumped! Another one of my favorite , Plant Data Base Serches, is at http://www.neoflora.com
An easy one to use also. LOL Michele
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2001
8:28 AM

Post #66669

Michelle and Poppysue ,I checked those sites from A to Z but this one is still a mystery to me! If you have any other sites I can look to for advice I will keep up the search. I am still about half convinced it belongs to the hollyhock family but so far nothing has matched up. I sure appreciate all your help on this you have all been great.

Poppysue and Mary, I couldn't find any abutilons that matched or that are biennial.

Daisy_Chain I didn't find a picture of your suggestion but will keep looking for one.

Frank, of course I will be glad to share the mystery seeds from this years collection as soon as I can collect them!

And Bert, thankyou for your feed back on this!

This message was edited Monday, Apr 9th 4:30 AM
Wendy

(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2001
2:46 AM

Post #67137

Zanymuse, my guess would be Lavatera arborea 'Variegata'
as seen at the site below:)
http://www.crug-farm.co.uk/plantlist.asp?id=1112
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2001
3:39 AM

Post #67145

WENDY! That is it! They list it as a perinnial but other wise everything matches right down to the photo! I have had greeat success growing it but it has definately acted as a biennial not a perinnial. Grows first year with these lovely leaves and then the second year it shoots up fast and blooms for months. Then it sets seed and the whole thing dies. I even left one standing for a year to see if it had just gone dormant but it was definately dead and I finally cut it down.

I will be glad to send you those seeds if you want them as soon as they set. Just email me where to send them!

Bert, Poppysue, Daist_chain,Mary and Michelle if you wish I will be happy to send yo all of you as well! I really appreciate all of your assistance on this. And Frank I have your envelope made out already just waiting for the seeds to come.
daisy_chain
Norwich, Norfolk
United Kingdom

April 11, 2001
5:46 AM

Post #67150

Zanymuse, congratulations. At last! Thought it was going to go down in the "Unsolved plant mistery of the year" book.

I'd love some seed when it sets. Can you email me with your addy so i can send you a stamped addressed envelope. How do I organise the stamps? Being in England obviously can't send you british stamps!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2001
11:42 AM

Post #67162

Thank Goodness!! It drives me crazy not to know what something is!
puttyrat
Powhatan, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2001
1:52 PM

Post #67174

The A-Z Encylopedia of Garden Plants has this listed as zone 8-10. It is short lived perennial or biennial.

puttyrat

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America