Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Water Gardens: What size pots for water lilies

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 1, Views: 282
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lorie
Muncy, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2001
5:57 PM

Post #3487

I am getting ready to repot one of my waterlilies. Do I need a deep pot or can I use an oblong plastic pot that is 3 1/2" by 14"? Thanks for any information.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2001
8:12 PM

Post #67041

Lorie, it's 3 1/2" deep by 14" wide? That should be an okay size although 3 1/2" isn't very deep. You'll notice most pond plant containers are no deeper than they are wide, and are often fairly shallow relative to their width.

You want a plant to fairly quickly fill up the container with roots, so don't plant it in a container that is excessively large compared to the tuber.

I recently came across a great website with detailed planting instructions for water lilies. Let me see if I can find it, and if so I'll post the link back here. Just remember to use clay soil and work in some fertilizer while you're at it; no soilless mix, or any component - peat, vermiculite or perilite - unless you want it floating on top of your pond ;0)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America