Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What's this weed's name?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 19, Views: 397
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

April 12, 2001
12:52 PM

Post #3568

Here in the mountains, we have a lot of this weed. Does anyone know its name?

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dignbloom
Greenfield, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2001
2:06 PM

Post #67420

Hey Dave, I have a little bit of that too, but I have no clue as to what it is! Julie
dave

April 12, 2001
2:14 PM

Post #67422

I used to call it an umbrella plant when I was a hid. They are really neat plants that.

A single stem with 2 leaves per plant. Directly between the two leaf nodes a flower will appear, leaving behind a big seed pod. This is a fun plant.

Dave
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2001
2:36 PM

Post #67427

That helps. Mayapple ~ Podophyllum peltatum?
dave

April 12, 2001
3:21 PM

Post #67437

Ahhhhh!! Poppysue you're a gem. Of course it's the mayapple. I don't know how I had forgotten that.

Well done!

Dave
dave

April 12, 2001
3:27 PM

Post #67440

Added it to the plants db. :)

http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/359.html

Dave
FernCliffFarms
Dutton, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2001
8:20 PM

Post #67490

Its MayApple not a weed. It blooms, white I think, and it bears fruit. You can eat the fruit, but rest is poison.

FernCliffFarms
dave

April 12, 2001
8:33 PM

Post #67492

Hi Fern: I guess whether its a weed or not depends on your point of view and where you live. :) Here in East Tennessee it is most certainly a weed.

Dave
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2001
10:17 PM

Post #67502

About the fruit - don't eat it until the blackberries are ready or it can give you problems. I think mayapple is probably pretty much a weed everywhere, but some people like weeds, after a fashion...
FernCliffFarms
Dutton, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2001
2:08 PM

Post #67825

Oh okay, but I think it is a nice weed. :)

FernCliffFarms
Ryan
Patty

April 14, 2001
2:46 PM

Post #67831

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2001
10:51 AM

Post #67945

"A weed is a plant out of place!" ;0

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2001
2:01 PM

Post #68170

Oh, Patty - now you're talkin! My parents live in rural Nebraska (is that redundant?) and they go morel hunting every year. (Yes, they know what to look for, and they're very careful.) I have such good childhood memories of going to my grandparents and having a huge feast on fresh, fried morels.

Jody, I've heard that definition before, but I'm not so sure - a weed may be a plant out of place, but I also define it as a plant that will stubbornly grow in the "wrong" spot despite my best efforts to eradicate it. Unlike mere plants may or may not grow where they are planted. So I think that definition is a little too kindly, at least for the weeds I encounter, LOL!
karen7
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2001
7:18 PM

Post #68505

We have them growing in my yard here in Kentucky as well. They are considered a wildflower in most desciptions of the plant. (I guess it's a weed if it's growing someplace you rather it didn't grow and you can't get rid of it). I've found it listed under many arboretum plant lists and it shows up in many lists of spring blooming wildflowers. It is known both as Umbrella plant and Mayapple.
carrottop

May 9, 2001
10:43 PM

Post #73650

Hey...Mayapple is a treasured spring wildflower in New England woods...not common at all. It blooms with the trilliums and violets. Doesn't it have some sort of magic
associated with it?
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2001
4:04 AM

Post #73698

"A weed is a plant out of place!"

Yes Jody, that's what I told a lady over at my house the other day when I asked her to identify some of my plants for me and she called a couple of them weeds. Funny, another lady that was over looked at what I had pulled up at the library from the cracks at the base of the building. I thought it was tiny morning glories but she said it was just bindweed and was a nuisance. Well, I was looking up morning glory in my encyclopedia and one of it's names are bindweed! Unfortunately it did not take root and died and the library pulled it all up but that's ok, I have some seeds. It is just fun to find something that is considered a weed and find a perfect spot for it in your own garden.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2001
7:05 AM

Post #73714

Bindweed's a whole other ballgame, Angel. I have been battling it forever, it seems. It's perennial, unlike morning glory, and sends down a tap root up to 7' long. You can't just pull it...And if you chop it out, the pieces of root will, well, root and you'll have many more bindweed vines. It can really choke plants, too. It's pretty, I agree, but be *very* glad it didn't survive its transplant to your yard! :oD
Patty

May 10, 2001
11:50 AM

Post #73740

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2001
1:36 PM

Post #73756

LOl, ok... I will just go visit it at the library then. Thanks for letting me know. I will stick with my regular morning glories.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2001
11:36 AM

Post #73948

I've got morels and ramps!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America