Photo by Melody

Roses: Rooting new roses: starting to work!

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 5, Views: 412
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2002
1:12 AM

Post #31958

OK rose fans, start getting your trading hats on! I am rooting several of most of my favorite roses, and will have at least one of each for trading later this summer.

If I am successful in rooting a couple, I will be uprooting my grafted varieties and offering them for trade this winter/early spring.

I will give a list of successful new roses when they are done rooting (beginning roots already forming after 1 week!) I am so excited! GW, the Zeph cutting you brought me has tiny roots! Wow!

Doing a happy dance! Kathy
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2002
6:10 AM

Post #277004

Congrats, Kathy!!! Elaine(aka. RAmblin' Rose)
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2002
2:05 AM

Post #283938

For those of us who have never propagated rose cuttings before, would you please explain the steps involved for successful rooting. Also, do you use a special rooting hormone? If so, which one.

lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2002
12:07 PM

Post #284157

Shirley and all other rose lovers,

I am far from an expert in getting roses to root themselves; I have been successful a few times and am doing that with this latest batch. I will share what I know, as well as passing along the advice from Louisa (Margaret) for taking hardwood cuttings in the fall.

I use semi-hardwood cuttings in the early summer. After a rose has flowered, and the bloom faded, I cut a piece about 8" long of the stem that had developed the current year. I have found that if the stem was still soft (red) it doesn't work. So I wait until it is somewhat woody, but not bark-ey. I cut the stem at the proper pruning place (just above a good leaf node) then trim away the bottom from the cutting to just below a leaf node. I cut off all the leaves that remain on the stem but the top leaflet. Make sure to cut off the faded flower.

I put the cut stems in a 4" deep pot containing equal amounts of perlite/vermiculite and sand. Firm the mixture all around the cuttings. The "pot" I use is a disposable bread pan with tiny drainage holes poked in the bottom; this is stood in a bigger pan lined with pebbles to retain some moisture.

I have not had good success in the past using commercial rooting hormone powder. I have heard that unless it is very fresh it loses its effectiveness. Don't know if this is true. Anyway, I get some branches of a willow tree and soak them in water for a day. I use this liquid to water the cuttings I have placed in the pots. I keep the rootings in an unheated greenhouse that is in a somewhat shaded area in our enclosed porch. I have tried doing them outside but find that they too quickly lose moisture; covering them makes them cook.

Louisa's method is done in the fall with more hardened wood. She prepares the cuttings as above, and puts them outside in a prepared bed. She digs a trench about 8" deep, lines with with sand about 3" deep (to help provide good drainage). She then fills the trench with soil. The cuttings are placed in the soil, and kept watered. She has had them root in about a month and a half. I believe her method would be very successful in the midwest starting cuttings in Sept, with the roses fairly well rooted in October, and ready to face winter on their own (without need of additional protection). I am going to try her method on a few roses that are very stubborn about rooting on the (possibly not ripe enough) semi-hardwood cuttings I have not had success with. Since Louisa lives in a more temperate climate (VA), she starts hers in October and they are well-rooted by November.

I would love to hear how others take cuttings; as well as different methods they have tried and not had success with.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2002
5:15 PM

Post #284468

WOW! Thanks for your detailed message on rooting rose canes. I will give it a try this fall. Am I to assume that during the summer is not a good time for rooting? Since I live fairly close to Louisa, I'm in Maryland, I will try her method. I had also read somewhere regarding willow water as a very good germinator. I didn't realize that packaged rooting hormone powder had a shelf life. However, that does make sense!

Good luck with the rooting of your new roses. Who knows, maybe if my rootings are successful, we will be able to trade one day.

Thanks again for all your help and very informative information :~)
lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2002
8:27 PM

Post #284618

Update on my rooting:

My 'Soaring Flight' cuttings didn't take :( so I did some more today. My 'Pat Austin' ones have tiny root hairs! So do my 'Rose de Rescht'! My 'Buffalo Gal' have put out a new leaf, but no sign yet of root hairs. My 'Abraham Darby' cuttings are doing the best so far: lots of root hairs, new growth, etc. Inconclusive so far on 'Wild Spice'; they haven't died, yet no root hair or new growth; will keep a close eye on them...

Shirley, you can try some cuttings now and in the fall. Let us all know how they are doing.

Kathy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America