Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Potato "fruit"????

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 867
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2002
5:26 PM

Post #32008

I thought I was seeing things this morning when I glanced over at my potato plants, and saw little tomato-like fruits hanging from them.

The second thought was a volunteer 'mater must have been hiding among its cousins.

But close examination revealed indeed, it is part of the potato plant. In fact there are several plants with fruit on them...what's the deal?

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dave

June 8, 2002
5:30 PM

Post #277176

Neat vols! You're going to get seedpods from your potatoes.

Save the seed and sow them, and see what you get! They won't look anything like the parent, but you may get something cool out of it.

dave
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2002
6:37 PM

Post #277196

cool i've never seen anything like that. lol. will you get potatoes from the seed or just a plant?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2002
7:08 PM

Post #277201

farmgirl, I've never seen these either - and I spent enough time on a farm that I *should* have seen 'em before now, I suppose.

I don't think you get potatoes; as far as I know the only way to get potatoes is from...potatoes :)
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2002
10:30 PM

Post #277276

You'll get potatoes alright g_v, but as Dave says, they'll probably be very different from the parents. It's only like growing from seed rather than a root cutting LOL
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2002
3:29 AM

Post #278729

Well, isn't that just about the coolest thing. I've never seen that before either and I'm a farmer girl for 58 years.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2002
2:12 PM

Post #278958

Mine get seed pods which form after you see the blooms. I remember a few years ago reading about potatoes from seed, and it seems that someone (catalog?) was going to sell the seeds. The first year I noticed them I cut one open, they resemble little tomatoes but I wasn't sure if they would be safe to eat so I threw it away. Maybe we should try planting some and see what we get.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2002
7:29 PM

Post #279050

Well, I'm defnitely up for the challenge - I wonder if they need to be fermented a la tomato seeds? And when do you plant them - fall, winter, spring?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America