-
AuthorContent
lunasee
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2002
3:34 AM

Post #32054

I do not know the name of this tree. I bought at a Sale today & it looks relatively healthy, at least healthier (and cheaper)than I have been seeing in nursery's lately. It also needed a good home. I paid 4.00. Also it is kind of leaning - could it be the way the sun was hitting it? Should I add a stake? There are some dead branches. Should I just prune? I live in Texas, can I keep outdoors all year? Sun, Partial or Shade? Should I transplant into fresh new soil? Lots of questions - hope you can help me.
I will try & post a close up.

Thumbnail by lunasee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2002
3:42 AM

Post #277485

ficus Benjamina variegata? Variegated weeping fig. Not cold hardy.
lunasee
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2002
3:47 AM

Post #277489

Thanks again Calalily. I thought it was a Ficus but when I looked it up my tree did not match the pictures. I will look up again. Also I would have posted a close-up but it only allows me to post 1 pic.
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2002
5:50 AM

Post #277536

I would consider putting a support of some kind in the pot. You can get plastic ones that look like bamboo and blend in, so you can control the amount of leaning it does. But some people like for the ones with multiple trunks to look sort of "weepy". Not a bad price. You will probably have leaf drop for several weeks, as they resent being moved.
Amari
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2002
10:49 PM

Post #277834

I've always wondered if they were finicky plants or not. I've heard both, but my one and only experience with ficus was back when I was in college and I used to "babysit" my friends when she would go home on break. It was a long list of instructions...when to open the blinds and how much depending on how sunny the day would be, maintaining a certain temp in her apartment, watering, washing the leaves, etc. - seemed an awful lot of trouble, but the plant was very special to her so I would do exactly what she said to do. All the same, it would ALWAYS start dropping leaves the day after she left, almost as if it knew she was gone.

AnnMarie
lunasee
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2002
12:26 AM

Post #278605

Amari,
Appreciate the info & I enjoyed your little story.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America