Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

SOLVED: Tennis, anyone?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's a stumper - anyone know what this might be? I can't tell you much other than the flowers and fruit appeared in year two, the fruit are about 2 1/2" in diameter, and the photographer/gardener lives in California...

This message was edited Monday, Jun 10th 11:26 PM

Thumbnail by Terry
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

WOW look so Cool never see this one. That's so nice.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Vols - am I reading that right? The fruit are 21 inches in diameter?

Sue, that's what he said. They don't look that big from the photo, so I'll ask him just to be sure. Now 2" I could see but 21" are the size of a (large) beach ball, if I'm thinking correctly...

hehehe, apparently something was lost in the translation - let's try 2 1/2" - that does sound more reasonable :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Maybe try posting on Tropicals and Kyle might be able to answer with what it is. Very unusual.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Terry - maybe asclepias fruticosa? http://www.milkweedcafe.com/swanplant.htm

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Hey, I've seen this somewhere, botanical has this, but the 'fruits' (?) aren't that big. If I rememer it is somekind of Asclepias as sue said.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Gosh Terry, that is cool. Please save me some seeds or a cutting or whatever you have to save to get a start. Thanks.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

But you got me stumped on this one..looks like a type of euphorbia from the foliage...but the flowers don't ring a bell...sorry... :-)

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

wow that is cool can i get some seeds also and is it eatable

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

It has been 50 years since I left CA so haven't seen one in a LONG time but could it be Quince? Just a wild guess. The asclepias fruticosa does look right.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Well U can rule out quince.. I looked it up & not that.

Thanks, all. I've sent a link to a picture of Asclepias fruticosa to the photographer to have him compare to the real thing. I'll let you know if he confirms it.

(Zone 5a)

I don't know what it is but would sure like to have some seeds from it.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

I love it,it looks like a gooseberry on steroids!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Must be it... eh? http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/4892/

Sue, yes - I meant to get back here and let everyone know that apparently we had a winner. For those who would like seeds; sorry, I don't have any. But if you look at the member who contributed it to the PDB, you'll know the source of the photo (and maybe some seeds, too :)

(Zone 5a)

Lol Crestedchik, I couldn't help but laugh at that one.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Terry - after looking this up in my AHS Encyc ... the genus has changed from Asclepias to Gomphocarpus. There are two species - G. fruticosa and G. physocarpus. Both are very similar but physocarpus has larger fruit. A google search for Gomphocarpus comes up with pictures of both species. You may want to have Ulrich look them up to see if he can determine which species he has. I'm thinking it probably is the G. physocarpus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.