Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What is this awful weed?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Moogie
Lewisville, TX

June 10, 2002
4:25 PM

Post #32206

Here's a picture of a mystery weed. I washed every trace of dirt off the roots - the brown you see is the dense mat of roots. This is why - when I try to hand pull it, only the tops come off and the roots remain embedded in the ground. (I had to dig this out with a shovel.) It seems to thrive on weedkiller, browning a little and then coming back stronger. The "leaves" look like pine needles (round, not flat) and the roots remind me a little of bermuda grass. The seeds form as little balls at the tips of the needles. It seems to reach a maximum height of 24" (growing up through shrubs).

What started off as just a few needles last year has now taken over an entire bed (after being sprayed with weedkiller several times).

Can anyone identify this pest or give your experience on erradicating it?

Thumbnail by Moogie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

toadlily
Grandview, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2002
6:08 AM

Post #278805

Moogie, is this in a bed that stays moist? It almost looks like it could be a rush of some kind. Common or spike Rush?
Toadlily
Moogie
Lewisville, TX

June 11, 2002
1:10 PM

Post #278929

Toadlily - I think you're right! We built a low stone retaining wall and it keeps that area very moist. I did a search and all the pics look identical to this plant.

Many thanks toadlily for your help. For everyone else, here's a link to controlling spikeweed:http://msucares.com/pubs/is1027.htm
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2002
2:25 PM

Post #278965

That's a good website Moogie. I checked out the info about horsetail - which is my nightmare weed. Unfortuately all the herbicides listed are controlled substances - and you need a liscense to use them. I guess I'll have to stick to pulling and shot of Round-up now & then.
toadlily
Grandview, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2002
3:58 PM

Post #279027

Moogie and Poppysue,
Have you ever thought of offering these plants for postage? These are both plants that water gardners (like myself) like.

Poppysue, The horsetail around here sells for $10.95 a gallon! and I for one would gladly take as much of it off your hands as you are willing to dig and send :-).
Toadlily
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2002
4:20 PM

Post #279046

Toadlily - this isn't the same horsetail that's sold for water gardens. It's a scrubby weed. It's Equisetum arvense... and grows about a foot tall. Hers's a picture of the nasty stuff http://www.css.orst.edu/weeds/Field_horsetail/juvenile.jpg

I believe it's Equisetem hyemale is the type that water gardeners seek. I've seen this one growing wild too but fotunately not on my property. Hiking around we came accross some abandoned railroad tracks in windham that had the stuff growing as far as the eye could see. I didn't dare to take any for my pond. Maybe one of these days we'll take a ride back there. I'll keep you in mind & bring a shovel - ;o)
toadlily
Grandview, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2002
9:34 PM

Post #279161

Poppysue, You are right, it is the Equisetem hyemale that I thought you were talking about. The Equisetum arvense was NOT the kind of horsetail I was thinking of :-( and it doesn't look like something I would want to have. Thanks anyway.
:-)
Toadlily

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America