-
AuthorContent
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2001
3:09 PM

Post #3608

I've been composting for quite awhile - my mother used to tell me that my bedroom resembled a compost heap - but I've never indulged in Super Hot or any of the other compost facilitators. I'm wondering if anyone has used them and what your thoughts are on their effectiveness . Should I spring for a bag, or save myself a few bucks and just pour the three bottles of very old, stale beer on the pile?
ribbitcat

April 13, 2001
8:52 PM

Post #67691

I have heard peeing on it works.This isn't a joke !
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2001
10:13 PM

Post #67701

Umm, I've heard that too, but the neighbors already think I'm crazy!
Patty

April 13, 2001
11:53 PM

Post #67722

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
AJC

April 14, 2001
12:24 AM

Post #67727

peeing on the heap helps to accelerate the proccess, adds minerals to it too, you should cover the heap with poltthene sheeting to keep the heat in, and give it a couple of buckets of water each week to, that gets the heat going well, give you very good results, i compost in polythene sacks, and adding a bit of pee, helps no end, and with a cover over the top you can feel the heat from the sides of the sacks.
Patty

April 14, 2001
1:30 AM

Post #67742

dave

April 14, 2001
4:05 AM

Post #67772

Comical sounds great Patty! I'd love anything you draw, actually!!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2001
1:20 PM

Post #67815

Patty - I think you have WAY TOO MUCH MATERIAL HERE!!
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2001
1:34 PM

Post #67821

If you want a cheap accelerant, plain old urea is available at most places that sell fertilizer. That's the nitrogen heavy component of urine that gives it the characteristic ammonia smell, and you don't have to go around unzipping trou and hoping the neighbor's don't catch ya!

The biggest accelerant to compost making is oxygen. Piles that are turned rot faster than those left in place. That's the theory behind all of the expensivo fancy compost makers. If you can find a used portable concrete mixer at an auction or garage sale, you can have the same thing with a lot less muscle effort. I found one for $50, (I actually use mine for mixing concrete, though) and I've thought if I ever found another one cheap enough, that's what I'd do with it. There's always the standard shovel from one bin to another every couple of days with a pitchfork and shovel. That works just fine, but it can be hard on the Advil bottle. ;*)
Patty

April 15, 2001
12:32 AM

Post #67901

plantbug
Asheboro, NC

April 15, 2001
2:05 AM

Post #67912

Kathleen,

In the Great Green book of Garden Secrets,
"Dump a can of regular cola (not diet) on your compost pile, the sugar content & carbonation will help speed up decomposition."

and to really get it cooking:
Mix 1/4 bottle of beer, 1/4 cup of ammonia and a gallon of warm water. Spray on you compost pile.

I have just tried the cola, too early to tell if it helps.

plantbug

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 15th 10:56 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America