Do you heat your house with wood?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Wood stoves seem to go with farms and living in the country. So I wonder how many of us heat 100% with wood. We do. And I have a pot of beans and hamhocks simmering away on it today.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

MMM That sounds good Mary! I only wish I had a wood burning stove. We are all electric, which is not good! When we have a hurricane the power is the first thing that goes. A wood stove would be helpful, but in hurricane season it is about 100* Hot! Hot!Hot! I told my DH that when (if) we ever enclose our carport I would like a wood stove, is it hard to cook on?

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Yes ; I have been since 1986 with a forced air wood furnace and oil burning combo . I only use the wood part tho ...it helps keep me in decent physical condition :)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I guess I should have been more specific. The wood stove we have is a heating stove, not a kitchen range type. But since it gets hot I put a pot of soup or beans on it and borrow the heat so I don't have to use the electric range. My wood heater has 2 levels, the upper one is hotter than the lower. Besides this I have trivets which modify it somewhat, and I can regulate the fire by shutting down the air supply. It does take a bit of watching sometimes. I have put a frying pan on it and fried some potato pattys, but would rather not cook anything like bacon that pops and spreads grease. Also, so far I haven't figured out how I would make something like biscuits. Somebody out there probably knows how. We heat our house from October till about April, then it is either electric stove for cooking or the barbeque.

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Does a wood pellet stove count? It sure beats the central heating system of our old coal furnace that we used to use.

(Zone 6a)

Wood isn't my primary heat source but it's the one I like the best. Well, no, that's not quite true - my most favorite was a small Vermont Castings coal stove we had in one house - build a fire in at Thanksgiving and it didn't go out until sometime in March - it was wonderful.

Now I've got a small Jotul that I build a fire in when I get home from work - since my house is small it does a great job of heating, even the bedrooms down the hall.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We use to heat with wood, but the fumes and ash dust got to my lungs and nearly killed me. Now we heat with LP space & wall heaters. The space heater is VERY old and needs no electriciy to run. The wall furnace has an electonic thermostat. I kind of prefer the heat of wood, but am spoiled to the consistant temps of the LP heaters. I'm also glad we no longer have to deal with the wood and all it's dirt, etc. I kind of enjoyed the wood cutting, etc. but neither of us is capable of that anymore either. Hedge wood gets really hot and burns a long time.

New Paris, OH

We have a stove in the living room that heats the house. We use an array of fans to get the heat around the rest of the house.

(Zone 6a)

we have a forced heat wood furnace and I am spoiled. I freeze when I go to anyone elses house. At our old house we had gas and a small wood stove. I am glad don't have to buy gas this year My friend just filled her tank and it was over 500$..I hate all the dust though. I just kind of move it around till spring and then clean everything real good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images