-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 11, 2002
9:14 PM

Post #32383

Now I know two things about myself... I was born to be a matador, and my eventual cause of death will be trampling. I've been working in the yard, but had a moose incident of some proportion, so I decided to come in and let the adrenalin settle... so here I am at the keys telling my tale of a foolish old fat woman that protects her garden like the Alamo.

While transplanting some yellow perennial foxglove, I heard the dogs barking excitedly and spotted a moose entering the yard. Now, if you've never been very close to a moose, they are quite huge... the size of a horse, only taller, and easily excitable... at least this one was.

In another thread, I think I mentioned having tried spraying one with a hose, and it charged me. You can always tell when they are ready to charge, because the hackles go up on their back like a dog. Of course, I can't outrun a moose, so I dropped the hose and darted behind a tree. The moose ran past me and off to the woods. In a couple other incidents, I managed to encourage them out of my yard with some rather loud renditions of the theme from Mr. Ed. My experiences have usually been with cow moose and calf.

Today was a whole new experience in moosery. The visitor was a young bull. He wasn't concerned about my presence, and he wasn't phased by the dogs barking. It is often best to quiet the dogs, since moose tend to challenge dogs and go out of their way to do so. Corndog obeyed my command to "stay" and "be quiet". I really don't think she wanted to challenge him either.

As he walked the yard looking for morsels.. and they were in abundance, I began singing the Mr. Ed theme song. It wasn't having the desired effect, so I got a bit louder and added lots of vibratto. I even changed key to make it more offensive. Finally, he walked across the road into a wooded area, and I felt good about once again singing away a moose.

However, about 10 minutes later, he was back in the yard. I started to sing again, and he wasn't impressed. I silenced the dog and tried to maintain a noisy presence so that he would decide it wasn't a good place to be. After singing in a key that was high enough to make my throat ache, his hackles went up and he charged me.

I ducked behind the same tree I had ducked behind the year before and he ran by, but instead of continuing out of the yard, he turned and ran at me again. I moved to the other side of the tree, and we played tag for what seemed like about three hours, but was in all likelihood about three seconds. Finally, he just trotted off into another area of the yard, & I followed him at a distance, wondering what to do next.

I have heard that a moose will yield to anything with a bigger rack than he has, so I stuck my arms out, bent upward at the elbow, to impersonate a big bull moose. Well, let me tell you, that is a real fable. This young bull must have thought I wanted to do battle, and he was up for a tussle. He came charging through the brush at me, and I stepped behind a little alder with three trunks no bigger than 3" in diameter. When he came past me, I could have reached out and touched him... not that I was inclined to do so. ("Tap, tap, tap. Hey, buddy, you missed me!" ...not likely!)

By this time we'd both become quite upset, and neither of us was really backing down... although I was sure moving out of the way in a much speedier way than I ever thought I was capable of. I decided to plead with him to leave. Maybe it was something in my tone, maybe it was the fact that I was just more trouble than he wanted to deal with.. whatever.. he trotted off across an area that has several pallets of perennial plants, without so much as tipping one over.

He began nibbling salmonberry bushes in our woods, and I stood back to let him know I was still around, but willing to allow him to eat in peace. When I finally felt he had vacated my yard for awhile, I came in to check on the dogs. The oldest one is about 12, and she never even made the trip out to where I was dueling with the moose. Her daughter, the younger one is about 6 years old, and she had stayed outdoors as I swung behind trees and the moose crashed through the brush. It took me several minutes to convince her everything was OK. Now, if I can just convince myself!

As I sit here writing now, I wonder what in the world possessed me to challenge a young bull moose! He is one of the few things I don't outweigh, he is younger and faster, and he has hooves. Moose have been known to trample people to death, so it is no small thing to square off with one. I accept the fact that I am stupid, I accept the fact that he is a wild thing, doing his wild thingery, but I've worked so hard on this yard, I've spent so many hours planting, transplanting... I just have too much invested to allow him to nibble the tops out of everything because it happens to strike his fancy. I think I am destined to die in my yard, trampled by a moose. Someday, Dennis will come home and find a big flat grease spot in the yard wearing a pair of garden gloves. Oh, well, I guess it beats a wheelchair in a rest home. Anybody have any foolproof moose deterents that aren't fatal to either me or the moose?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2002
10:53 PM

Post #279218

I'd be finding me a pellet gun or one of those guns that just make noise, to scare them off. This makes my little 'ol meek deer look pretty good!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2002
10:59 PM

Post #279225

Oh wow Weez what an encounter!!!
Thank goodness you won out in the end. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about!

Moose look so great to those of us who never have to share our gardens with them. In fact i've been all for reintroductions here if we had a large enough area of the right habitat. May think again after your history with them

Hope your coming back down from that adrenalin high now
((((Carol))))
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2002
1:53 AM

Post #279349

Thank God you and your dogs are fine. I remember seeing moose in NH and before that I never realized how huge they are. Not to make light of what must have been a terrifying experience but I would pay money to see you singing to that moose.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2002
2:19 AM

Post #279380

Weez...you are such a good story teller...I think you should write a book...I love to read your posts...and am so glad that you perservered over the moose! Jo
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2002
2:56 AM

Post #279426

Yes, I've come back down from the adrenalin high. In fact, I've had a couple cocktails, and a hot bath sounds good. All that excitement sure wears me out. Looking back, I know I did a foolish thing. I was willing to chance serious injury or death to save my garden. I really don't know why I was so obsessed, but I'm guessing it's all the hard work I've put into it, and I was being pretty territorial. He's got the whole wilderness to munch on. I don't go out there and cut down all his willows, so he shouldn't come in here and snack on my flowers.

My mistake was underestimating the power of testosterone. He was young and studdly and thinking he could rule the world. I am old and fat and foolish about my plants... a bad combo. Aggression is never a good idea with moose. I'd rather chase a black bear out of the yard than a moose.

I've got to come up with some other way to scare him. I don't want to shoot him, I don't want to injure him in any way... I just want him to go away. It's really the best for him, as well, since moose usually come to bad ends when they hang around residential areas. A couple weeks ago, a cow and newborn calf were in the lot across from us, and the neighbor's Afghans were barking and worrying them. Dennis took the 22 out there and fire off a shot to send the dogs home, but it was only a matter of time until something took down that calf. It was hit by a car a few days later. Moose need to stay in the wilderness.

JoanJ: It's a really bad idea to do anything that makes them mad. A BB gun would just make them surly and turn for an attack. I found that out with the garden hose. Making a big noise might be better. Dennis brough home a couple seal bombs to throw out in the yard next time. I still wouldn't do it unless I was under cover. The moose could still charge at me. It's a real problem sometimes when wilderness meets residential.
snowhermit
Woodsville, NH
(Zone 4a)

June 12, 2002
4:01 AM

Post #279469

Weez, The biggest problem we have with them around here is auto accidents.It's never good when you hit one with your car and there are lives lost every year. Now black bear are another story. They are a pain in the neck.About twice a week I have to go out on the back deck and scream, holler, and bang pans together to chase this one big guy that is determined he is going to destroy all my bird feeders.Yes, I know I should take the feeders in but I enjoy the birds too much.He knows me well by now so when I yell at him he just stands looking at me with a disgusted look on his face.It really is a bad thing when wild life is no longer afraid of humans. Be careful around those moose Weez, they can be ornery critters.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jun 12th 12:03 AM
Dorise
Oak Ridge, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2002
1:21 PM

Post #279631

Holy Crow!!! Closest I've been to a moose it is watch it on TV and then it astounded me with it's size. Glad you weren't hurt.
We have a huge bear that visits us several times a week. I wonder if Mr Ed's song would encourage him back into the woods. If I weren't such a chicken, I might give it a try.
Moogie
Lewisville, TX

June 12, 2002
6:21 PM

Post #279861

Dorise - Nah, wrong species. You'd have to sing the Yogi Bear theme song to make him leave - LOL!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2002
9:04 PM

Post #279978

I wonder if one of those air horns scare them away?
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2002
9:47 PM

Post #280016

Got Weez a bunch of "seal-bombs", these are about 3 times as big as a "cherry-bomb" and very loud. We use them to scare seal away from our nets when we're commercial fishing for salmon.

Also left a loaded 7mm. magnum rifle on the front porch.
Contacted fish and game and told them the problem we've been having with the young bull, they said " do what you wont to do". If I have to shoot it they will come and take the meat to a charity.

Oh well, life in the last frontier...Dennis...
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2002
4:41 AM

Post #280396

I sure don't want to see that young fellow shot. He's just young and stupid with raging hormones. I'd like to find another way to discourage him, and I hope the seal bombs will do it. Maybe after our last encounter neither one of us want to repeat it. I hope some alarm bell goes off in his head when he attempt to step back into my yard.
penny4
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2002
4:57 AM

Post #280403

WHAT IN THE H, E, DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!
I just now saw this thread. I am remembering some darn close calls with the long legged ones myself. When I called the moose police (after being trapped inside a friend's car for over a half hour in 10 degree weather) I was told to keep big pots and pans around, with big utensils to bang them with. And they also said the M80s were a good idea, but would never admit to anyone since they are illegal. And they told me no way could I shoot it unless it charged me. So I guess you're safe there. For crying out loud, you could have been killed!! I was tortured by a female with old calves, but those young studly males are even more unpredictable.
I guess when you lay out the smorgasboard, the moose are bound to get a wiff of those fresh dishes, so lovingly prepared. So what are you going to do when you sleep?
I am just glad that you and the doglets are OK. Be careful, and remember it is only a plant. Blasphemy I know, but I prefer Carol to petunias, and I like petunias a lot...
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2002
5:06 AM

Post #280410

Thanks, Penny. I know it was a stupid thing to do, but I really wasn't thinking. It was something primal between me and that young and studdly moose. I've got a real stubborn streak, and I'm pretty territorial. He just thought I was someone he could beat in a fight... and he's right. You're right, it's only a plant, but in this case, it is many, many plants. He could have wiped out hundreds of dollars worth just grazing a bit... the little jerk.

I have the seal bombs in the greenhouse and on the porch, so I'll give that a try. I can tell you that banging pots would be a bad idea. Sudden noises just sent him charging toward me. It has to be something totally scary like a bomb. Of course, I'll be dragging the dogs out from under my bed to reassure them!
Amari
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2002
5:16 AM

Post #280416

Weez, what a great story, but only because it had a happy ending! I'm so glad you're okay and hope that moose never comes back. I think I will add MOOSE to my list of reasons not to move north.

AnnMarie
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2002
5:48 AM

Post #280422

Amari: If you're going to compile a list of reasons not to come to Alaska, the lack of fresh sweet corn and tomatoes would be a ligitimate addition. However, being able to chase a moose out of your yard is the reason many of us came up here.

Every time I see an eagle fly over with something in his talons, I am both awed and amused to think that someone somewhere might be calling their miniature poodle in vain! People buy pigmy goats and tie them out in the back yard, only to lose them to black bear who are delighted to find dinner on a string! I've often picked wild raspberries, knowing that the bears are out there somewhere picking them too.

It was my stupidity not to allow for the macho attitude of this moose. Generally, there are ways to deal with these big beasts. I'd be much more frightened to walk down a strange city street, not knowing who could mug me. I guess we all get used to our own preditors and fellow grazers. In spite of the close call, at least I know that Mr. Moose didn't step into my yard with plans to stomp me. I just punched his buttons.
Amari
Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2002
12:56 PM

Post #280527

Good point Weez. Mr. Moose needs to come off the list and he's probably much less dangerous than some of thugs that walk past my house every day. DH really wants to move north because he is tired of the hot summers here. I've been compiling a list of why we should stay put, but I'm definately losing the battle. If I ever said, "Hey hon, let's move to Alaska" he would be thrilled.

AnnMarie
Dorise
Oak Ridge, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2002
2:20 AM

Post #281727

Weez.. If I'm ever missing my sweet little chihuahua, I'll be sure and give you a holler.

We have no eagles around here, but some very very large hawks. So, I always stand guard over her when she goes out in the back yard to do her business.

Alaska is so beautiful. Had a job offer there once, years ago, to share a practice with another midwife. Was always sorry I didn't at least go up and look into it.

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2002
5:31 AM

Post #281846

Most people that come to Alaska are either hooked on it or can't wait to get home. I was hooked.
KatBaxter
Feeding Hills, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2002
12:10 PM

Post #281907

I think Chevy Chase can use this scene in his next movie...:*). I just can't imagine it!

Glad you are ok...that would be way too much
excitement for me.

Kat
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2002
5:15 AM

Post #282520

KatBaxter: Yes, it sounds like "Alaskan Vacation". It was, apparently too much excitement for me, as well, because I fell sound asleep on the couch at 8:30 pm!
debi_z
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2002
11:54 AM

Post #284146

well it might have been helped along by the cocktails and the warm bath too. good thing you didn't fall asleep in the tub and drown. :) katbaxter told me about this thread and she said i "had to read it", it was a real hoot. well you were right. folks you have all made my morning. what a nice way to start the day.
This is how i picture what happened. you are dressed in a bright floral dress ,a big garden hat holding a purple cape and the moose just is staring, in awe, at this apparition that is singing to him. He must have been saying: "she's kinda cute" "think i'll just go and show her my stuff"
running moose... "oh she's trying to play hard to get is she?.." "and she's singing to me again. she loves me! she wants me...!"
running moose...
"nope, she's just a moose teaser"...
"guess i'll go get some of those berries over there, this is just too much work." trot, trot, trot...munch, munch munch...moose looks over from berry bush. "she's still there, think i'll go find me a more willing moose for my afternoon delight." can't win them all"
moose leaves scene.
you pass out on the ground.
end of story...
KatBaxter
Feeding Hills, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2002
9:16 PM

Post #285417

Such imagination...tears running down my cheeks.
Needed that laugh.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 21, 2002
4:29 AM

Post #286671

Debi: That's a great image! Actually, I was wearing a pair of dirty old sweats and a stained tee-shirt. I weigh over 200 lbs, so I'm considerably slower than the studdly moose. I think my only attraction was that I was such a big target!
debi_z
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2002
2:02 PM

Post #293783

weezingreens, you have the same wardrobe as me for the garden. :) hope that moose has stayed away. debi z
lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2002
10:22 PM

Post #296137

Ditto. Any fresh sightings of Mr. Studly Moose? Wow maybe that would be a new cartoon idea for Fox or MTV? LOL Penthouse or Hustler would probably snap it up.

Seriously, I hope he has gone to new horizons.

I really, really hope you don't have brown bears (grizzlys) around you. They are much worse than the black ones.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2002
5:40 PM

Post #296604

We had a visit by Mr. Moose about 5 days ago, problem was we had customers shoping at the greenhouse at the time with thier small children in tow.

After getting the kids up on our front porch I grabed my rifle and a seal bomb. The seal bomb did the trick and he headed to a less noisy feeding area.

Did find a fresh hoof print in one of our raised beds, must of been a nocturnal visit. If keeps it up he will end up in our freezer.

We do have bears around here, both black and brown but there has'nt been any problem with them for a few years. You just have to keep your eyes open. Like when we go berry picking, we take a rifle or shotgun with us.

Oh, such is life in the great north country.

...Dennis...
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2002
2:29 AM

Post #310967

I just saw this for the first time..what a funny story. I am glad you are okay. I was reading Big Red's thread about the moose in his yard and asked a dozen questions..I think you just about covered all of 'em I asked! Maybe you should think about wearing one of those baseball caps with horns on it while you are working in your yard :-) . Great story.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

July 25, 2002
7:11 AM

Post #311125

Hi, Lisa. Haven't had a visit from Mr. Macho Moose in quite awhile. Maybe he's in some poacher's freezer.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2004
4:40 PM

Post #1174871

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is TOO funny !! You have to read this!!!!

Weezingreens you are absolutely one of THE funniest people I've had the pleasure of 'meeting!'

Nicole

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2004
4:53 PM

Post #1174891

Weez, I musta missed this the first time around. What a funny story, afterwards. LOL.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2004
5:16 PM

Post #1174926

Thank you, folks. I am glad I have lived to tell it!
hanna1
Castro Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2004
5:36 PM

Post #1174962

Weez, you are just too funny, lol lol, sounds like a great place to live, better than to have to watch out for some thug on an evening walk most places!!!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2004
5:39 PM

Post #1174969

The worst thugs I have around here are the blue jays! They are like a bunch of juvenal delinquents! Every once in awhile, a bear will take exception to sharing his berry patch, but most of the black bear are more inclined to run away. Brown bear are more aggressive, but rarer in this neck of the woods. I'm more concerned about the neighborhood dogs than the bears, to tell you the truth.
Equilibrium

December 2, 2004
6:04 PM

Post #1175013

Once again, I find myself laughing outloud uncontrollably while sitting at my desk and I have no doubt my underliner and mascara is smudging!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2004
6:07 PM

Post #1175019

Good! I'm glad you think it's funny too!! I just get the funniest visual when I think of the 'sparring' game...

Course we need Weezingreens to be careful too so we can continue to enjoy her stories!!!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2004

Post #1175020

Equil, you'rge going to have that Al Cooper look if you keep running your makeup like that!
Dogzilla
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2004
8:31 PM

Post #1175194

That made me think of those Garden.com commercials where people did anything and everything to protect and preserve their gardens...

Maybe you should try some Elvis or something instead of the Mr. Ed song... I'm just sayin'!
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2004
9:02 PM

Post #1175244

Weezi, you crack me up - what a funny story!!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2004
9:43 PM

Post #1175301

Dogzilla, which one of the King's songs would you suggest?
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2004
10:32 PM

Post #1175355

Well, here I sit in my upstairs office, visiting on Dave's, and there in the yard below is a young bull moose. He was heading across our drive, into the woods. I wonder if he's peeled the bark off my scruffy little willow tree?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2004
10:34 PM

Post #1175357

Tried fencing?
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2004
10:52 PM

Post #1175378

No, Darius, I've given up fighting with moose, and I don't think they can hold one of those little fencing swords in those big ol' hooves of theirs.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2004
10:55 PM

Post #1175385

LOL!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2004
10:59 PM

Post #1175394

You know, come to think of it, they do have split hooves...

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2004
3:17 AM

Post #1175680

Weez, you're a hoot! ...fencing... (shaking head, can't believe it, chuckling)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2004
3:21 AM

Post #1175684

Weez, please remind me to someday relate my sisters moose story - from Cordiva Alaska.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2004
4:01 AM

Post #1175743

Is it someday yet? I'm all ears... :)
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2004

Post #1176362

This is so funny I can't stop laughing. I know it wasn't funny at the time. Maybe you could get some SKUNK Spray that ought to deter that darn old moose. :)
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2004
7:08 PM

Post #1176491

Skunk perfume would certainly repel me. We have a problem with skunks around here and have found that Wal-marts cheapest perfume sprinkled around is a complete deterrent.
I have also been reminded by several neighbors to not follow the very large Alligator tracks because I might find what made them. I had a friend that discovered that they are very dangerous. He spent a little time in a hospital from a foolish encounter. Along the Texas Louisana border, he ran over a 6 foot gator about midnight. He stopped and it looked dead. He picked it up and threw it in the back of his van. About 2 miles down the road he suddenly noticed the gator getting in the drivers seat with him. He stopped and left the door open so it could get out. It sat in the drivers seat with the engine running and the headlights on until sunrise, then got out. He came down with a fever from the thousands of mosquito bites. Another painful lesson learned. There is danger every where if you do the wrong thing.

Sorry for the hijack.

trois
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2004
7:12 PM

Post #1176497

Funny hijack! Good thing your friend ended up ok but the picture in my head of an alligator sitting in the front seat of a van... :)
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2004
7:55 PM

Post #1176556

Well Weez, just keep out of the new bull moose's way!!!!
...and avoid alligators - that is a hoot of a story, though as serious as the moose problem. Thanks for telling it trois
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2004
10:12 AM

Post #1177350

Weeze...Your story is just too cute...I had no idea that Moose were so aggressive. I thought they would be like the White Tail Deer we have here in Northern Michigan...which run for cover if you happen to catch them in your garden.

By the way, have you ever tried Liquid Fence?? It really works for me, and not sure if it would keep the Moose away.

Deann
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 4, 2004
5:39 PM

Post #1177799

Trois, thanks for the great story! Dyson, jump on in with your tale! Deann, any kind of 'fencing' is not practical here. Our property is surrounded by woods, and my trees and plants are scattered about it. There are driveways on either end that would have to be gated... just too expensive and too much trouble. Some of the worst tree gnawing occurs in the winter when moose are foraging in earnest. Our plowed driveways attract them, and even fenced yards are vulnerable when the snow gets 3 or 4 ft deep... they just step across them!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2004
6:34 PM

Post #1177863

My sister & brood (15 + years in Alaska) consume mostly local staples for food. Ie salmon, moose etc. One moose will feed the family for a long time (properly stored) and the Moose hunting lic. are issued on a "lottery". Well though sis is not much of a hunter two chances are better than one.

So they both (her & the brother-in-law) bought hunting lic. & entered the lottery. Sis got the ticket. So the hunt began.

The idea was that If they found the Moose he would shoot it & she would tag it. His gun jammed. She shot it. Try liveing that down in a small Alaska fishing village.

To this day I feel sorry for the bil.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2004
8:05 PM

Post #1178003

That is sad. She could have loaned him her gun.

trois
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2004
11:04 PM

Post #1178225

Sis, give up her gun? Don't think thats gonna happen!
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2004
3:12 PM

Post #1179140

weezng. I missed your moose story first time around, funny story now, glad you weren't injured. Maybe the really cheap perfume would work. It is very provoking for the animals to ruin what you have worked hard for. Donna
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 5, 2004
3:35 PM

Post #1179172

Dyson, I can imagine you BIL was feeling bested for awhile there. Ah, well, he could have said, 'You shot it, you clean it and pack it out!', but I bet he didn't. It's an incredible job to clean a moose. It would be like shooting a cow in the field, then having to field dress it in order to move it... if you leave it, the bears say thank you.

By the way, Dyson, moose are plentiful enough that they do not have a lottery for them in Alaska... at least nowhere I am familiar with. They do, however require a certain number of brow tines to be legal. It sure is difficult to tell at a distance. However, polar bear, Kodiak brown bear, goat, sheep, muskoxen and buffalo are all lottery game. Caribou & deer are seasonal hunt, like moose, but you can only shoot one moose per season, per hunter.

My second husband used to hunt for moose every fall. We had four teenaged kids at home, so filling the freezer with moose was very important, as with your sister and husband. He had a small rag and tube airplane, so we'd go moose spotting in the evenings before season opened. We'd keep track of their habits and haunts, so that he would know where to land and camp.

He'd fly in the night before, taking the two oldest boys, set up camp, and go hunting in the morning. He would usually get a moose the next day. I'd hear him overhead, 'buzzing the house' to let me know he was bringing in some fresh meat bags. The organ meats came out first. I remember him bringing in a meat sack with the liver and emptying it into the sink. It filled up one well!
76summerwind
cape may court house, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2004
4:00 AM

Post #1184126

I found this quite by accident. Wondering what "Jokes and Chat" was all about..
I just sat at this desk and laughed myself so silly, I hurt.

You have such a way with words. You have not only made my day , I have to say my week.

Hopefully you'll find the time to write a Book. I'll be first to buy it.
With your permission I would love to print it out ,
when were sitting watching birds just start reading this article to the group who are hoping for that "Bald Eagle to fly over head!
BUMP, right ncgardenaddict? She's funnier than anything./
Sandy

Thumbnail by 76summerwind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2004
4:25 AM

Post #1184147

I lived in Cape May, (Coast Guard) for three years, actually North Cape May, A little ways from the ferry terminal. Neat town.
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

December 8, 2004
7:05 AM

Post #1184264

Sandy, that's such a cute teddy bear pic! I wonder what he's up to on the other side...sleeping, grabbing a fish, drinking? Too cute!

-Julie
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2004
12:42 PM

Post #1184427

Hahaha!! I love the pic ! For my own amusement I believe that he tripped and that's how he landed!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

December 8, 2004
2:05 PM

Post #1184563

NC, that's hilarious! Bet he felt foolish when he got up and all the other bears were laughing at him too. Poor bear! ROTFLMAO

-Julie
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2004
2:30 PM

Post #1184601

Wonder what polar bear laughs should like? ;)
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 8, 2004
4:08 PM

Post #1184782

Love the polar bear picture, Sandy. I think he is just lazing around in the sun. It's hard to imagine that they could loom 9 ft over you when standing up on their hind legs... guess they lose that teddy bear quality about that time! Binky the Polar Bear from the Anchorage zoo was quite a celebrity for awhile in the 90's. On two occasions some foolish visitors got too close, and the response from local Alaskans was definitely pro-Binky: http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/humor/polar-bear-morons
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2004
5:13 PM

Post #1184872

HAHAHA! Weezin! That is a funny article!! Poor old Binky! Course he's probably enjoying the tourist excitement...

Can't believe how dumb people can be!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2004
5:17 PM

Post #1184882

Yea, Binky! (and I wanna tee shirt...)
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

December 8, 2004
5:21 PM

Post #1184886

Weezingreens, thanks for that link. Very funny stuff. I liked the one editorial encouraging a Binky visiting day...to raise the State test scores LOL

-Julie
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 8, 2004
5:40 PM

Post #1184929

Weez ?

"He had a small rag and tube airplane,"

Pati
76summerwind
cape may court house, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2004
5:42 PM

Post #1184934

Dyson, Hello, well you know how beautiful the area is... I go birding on the base. I know someone who teaches courses for the boaters!
That does help!

I love that bear picture I have a friend who sends me all these sillies. I like passing them on. Makes people laugh..

Binky, hmmm, maybe that will be the name of a new birdI just re-read your story, soooo Funny. You have a writing ability that, I do admire. Truly think you should start a book
Sandy

Great story on Binky the Bear... I'd buy a tee shirt and also the music. I'm all for the bear. People can be such moron's!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2004
5:43 PM

Post #1184937

most excellent link

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2004
5:51 PM

Post #1184963

We have had so much fun with this... maybe one day I'll post my racoon story.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2004
6:22 PM

Post #1185027

Do tell Darius!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2004
6:42 PM

Post #1185071

Well, in a couple of days, and in another thread so as not to hijack this one. It's long to type...

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2004
8:39 PM

Post #1185246

Yeah! another bedtime story!!!!!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 8, 2004
10:07 PM

Post #1185373

Patischell, rag & tube airplane refers to small aircraft that are constructed of metal tubing and covered with cloth. It keeps them light so they can take off and land in confined areas. Mike liked to fly into remote areas and land on gravel bars along the rivers. The only thing more heart stopping than landing was taking off just over the tree tops!

Go ahead Darius, this is the spot for spinning yarns... highjack away!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2004
11:25 PM

Post #1185553

Okay, here’s my Raccoon story…

Some years ago, I bought an older waterfront house in an old wooded neighborhood on the Severn River, up river about 6 miles from Annapolis, MD.

To set the stage: It had a porch with screening, half-walls and sloping floors to let rain run off on 2 sides. AND a HUGE oak at the corner, touching the house. I put up a wall to make a summer guest bedroom in one end of the waterside porch.

Well, my job (sales/medical equip) required that we work one day a month with a manufacturer’s rep, and the Rep I got that month was a City Boy from New Jersey. He had never been water skiing (or even out of the city, I think), so we played hooky from work and tried to teach him to water ski, to no avail. Mercy, he had more Severn River enemas than the law allows! That man kept falling hard, over and over again.

After supper, we were invited down the street for a birthday cake. He declined, being pooped from trying to water ski, but I left him the phone number and walked down the street.

Well… an hour later, I get this frantic phone call from him… there’s a wild animal in the house!

I ran back, and here’s this city boy in just his jockey shorts, white buck loafers and brandishing a pistol in the air in my living room! I’m sure he was so upset he didn’t realize he was just in underwear, LOL.

He’s still frantic, and tells this story: “I was asleep, and I felt someone softly get in bed with me. I figured it was you, and turned over to put my arms around you.”

Whoa, it was a raccoon and I’m not sure who scared the other the most! He jumped and ran, the raccoon jumped and ran… into the house and into the bathroom. He closed the bathroom door, got his gun and called me…

After I assessed the situation of the raccoon in my only bathroom, with periodic strange sounds emitting from there, I called Animal Control. No dice. Called the SPCA, no dice. Finally called the volunteer fire department down the road and a man came with a long-handled crab net.

Gingerly, the fireman entered the bathroom, closing the door behind him … and all was very quiet for maybe 2 full minutes. Then, sounds of breaking glass, and much pandemonium inside, and finally the door flew open…

Out came the racing raccoon followed by the racing man with just a 2 foot section remaining of his long-handled crab net!

He chased the raccoon to the porch corner where the big oak touched the porch. I found some trail mix and went down to ground level and coaxed it down, finally.

When we surveyed the bathroom, the only broken glass was a bottle of cologne (phew!)… but the funniest thing was the raccoon’s habit of washing food. The toilet bowl was filled with tubes of shampoo and toothpaste, caps off so he could wash them, and he had peeled an entire box of tampax trying to wash them!

I guess I will never forget my mental image of that city boy in his jockey shorts waving his pistol in the air, and the washed items in the toilet bowl.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2004
4:56 AM

Post #1186087

That's a hoot!! sure tickled my funnybone! Just curious, did you ever ask him why he thought something furry was you? maybe it was a dream... lol
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 9, 2004
5:09 AM

Post #1186099

Great story, Darius! It certainly does conger a mental image!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2004
9:43 AM

Post #1186238

Great stories,weezy and darius! I'm glad to know that it worked out good for both of you in the end! Especially you weezy with the bull moose!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2004
11:18 AM

Post #1186296

Hee hee Darius! That's a good one! I'm with Kooger on the furry thing though - you don't look at all furry to me!! LOL Thanks for sharing!!!

This site is just so much fun!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2004
12:43 PM

Post #1186365

I think he was more than half asleep and just felt a weight next to himself on the bed... and didn't realize it was furry until it was too late!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 9, 2004
2:22 PM

Post #1186497

In Alaska, we have many old yarns about fly-in trappers who throw their critters in the back of the plane, only to have them revive mid-flight. Now, a wolverine, especially a very upset wolverine, is a very dangerous fellow, and a definite distraction when you're operating a small aircraft.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2004
2:27 PM

Post #1186507

From what I've read, they(wolverines) are one of the all-time nasties! Read a story about a DNR guy giving a talk to folks going on a mountain hike. Someone asked how far you should stay away if you see a moose. He told them 1.5 miles - and he wasn't kidding! He said they will track you and stomp you and are so unpredictable you can't depend on them to do anything you expect them to do. And you don't want to be in their face! Weez - what were you thinking?????????? lol - but it is still so funny, every time I read it!

P.S. I have a much less dramatic one concerning a van, a tree and a dog. hmmmmmmmmmm!
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2004
2:29 PM

Post #1186509

ROFL!! These are such funny stories!

My sister tells a story of coming home to visit at Christmas with her kids. Our folks lived on a property that backed up onto a wildlife area and consequently was very dark.

Late the first night, after getting the kids to bed, she was reading in the front living room. Suddenly she heard noises from the front porch. She listened and looked out the door but saw nothing so she settled down again. More noises. She turned off all the lights and looked out again...still nothing. When she heard noises again she flipped on all the exterior lights. Finally she saw a very large racoon leave the porch and settle on the lawn ... to eat a chocolate chip cookie! She'd left a cooler with snacks on the porch and the racoon found it. He'd open the cooler, grab a cookie and eat in out in the yard and then come back for more. The noises she was hearing was the thump of the cooler lid!

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 9, 2004
2:35 PM

Post #1186524

Floridian, we don't have raccoons up here, but I find them fascinating. I believe they have hands with opposing thumbs, so they can get into all sorts of trouble!

Kooger, I've asked myself the same question several times... 'What was I thinking!' This was a young bull moose, and he had attitude. I think the most dangerous to upset are cows with calves. Foolish tourists will get between cows and their calves to get close up pictures, and they are lucky if they don't get trampled. I've seen a moose wade across a deep snow bank to chase some dogs that were barking at it in their yard. OK, tell us about the van, the tree, and the dog.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 9, 2004
2:52 PM

Post #1186562

Thanks Weez. As soon as I get through laughing at these hilarious stories, I'm going to give some serious thought about what kind of people fly around in what amounts to a KITE! LOL
Pati
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2004
4:01 PM

Post #1186713

I really enjoyed that one thanks darius - what a scream!!
You're right Weez - what a picture lol

Not as scary as your moose episode, but very very funny - poor guy.
I wonder if he ever ventured into the country again??

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2004
6:35 AM

Post #1187998

the van, the tree and the dog...

A couple of years ago I ran a cookie route, delivering, selling, stocking shelves, etc. My area was rather large and the biggest day run was out to Platte, SD, about 360 miles and 11 stores. I usually got it done in 15 hours so I always tried to get out the door by 6 am. This particular morning it was already 6:15 and I needed to run down to the shop for a few extra boxes I thought I should take.

'Barney', our dearly beloved Cocker Spaniel, decided he needed to go wee-wee just as I was running out the door. Grrrrr! I'm thinking, stupid dog, now I have to wait for him. He has to find just the right spot and then he checks if you're looking and if you are, he has to find another 'right' spot! So, being the smart woman I am, I thought, I'll take him with me to the shop, then I can load the boxes while he does his thing, then I'll drop him off at home and I'm gone.

So, I threw him in the van, ran back into the house for something, and hopped in the van, ready to roll. I put my foot on the brake and shifted the van into reverse and I noticed I was moving backwards. Strange, my foot is on the brake! I press harder on the brake and I am still moving backwards. Panic is beginning to set in and now I am going down the driveway, across the street and into the park, backwards!

Thankfully there is a small ditch, 3' maybe, and we stop there. Whew, finally stopped, I can figure out what is going on here!!! Suddenly we are racing backwards, much, much faster than before. Dirt is flying, trees are going by quickly and I don't have a clue why this is happening! I try to get my foot back on the brake, and then can't, Barney is in the way. BANG!! Finally we are stopped for good. Another tree! Whew! Oh no! But what a relief! At least now I can try and figure out what happened.

Took a few minutes but I figured it out. Barney was on the gas pedal the whole time. When we stopped in the ditch, the van bounced, we both bounced and Barney was off the gas pedal. Then he landed back on it with the force of his bounce and his 25 lbs. POWER!!!!

Now you try and explain that one to the insurance man or your husband who is out on the road. Not fun!! Then the insurance man says he has to tape the phone conversation and the guys at the coffee shop (who my DH was so kind to tell), figured he was recording it to win the 'dumbest' claim award at the national convention. They also thought Barney should lose his license.

Personally, I don't think they have a 'dumbest' claim award, at least I sure hope not!

So that's the van, the tree and the dog story. Hope you enjoyed it!
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2004
6:48 AM

Post #1188006

Immensely, kooger! LOL!
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

December 10, 2004
6:48 AM

Post #1188008

Kooger, I'm so sorry ... but ... ROTFLMAO! I'm really glad you weren't hurt, but since I knwo you weren't in the end I just can't stop laughing! Thanks so much for the morning giggle and for being the kidn of person who can tell a story like this rather than hide it away! Good for you! :-)

-Julie

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2004
6:53 AM

Post #1188012

I was pretty sore and stiff and Barney had a seizure as soon as I let him out. Poor guy. Ins. co. talked about totalling the van at first, then decided to fix it.

I emailed all my sibs a few weeks after it happened. Dad was visiting my one sis in Vancouver, so I asked him if he read my email. "Oh yeah", he says, "I not only read it, I had her print me a few copies. That's a classic, Lor!!" Thanks, Pa!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2004
10:00 AM

Post #1188075

Oh kooger, that was bad - thank goodness it wasn't more serious!
I've now got visions of the performing dog - on the pedal, off the pedal ON the pedal :O
Thanks for the laugh!!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2004
11:49 AM

Post #1188138

Bad DOG!!!

:)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2004
1:42 PM

Post #1188319

Too funny, Laura! Glad you were not hurt. I've almost wrecked a couple of times when my cat or my small dog got under the brake pedal.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 10, 2004
7:46 PM

Post #1188968

Great story, Kooger! Next time, turn off the ignition. ;)

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2004
8:09 PM

Post #1189006

now, why didn't I think of that? lol Barney got his license revoked so there's no chance of a rerun!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 10, 2004
9:10 PM

Post #1189115

I've heard of dogs locking their owners (chauffeurs) out of the car by hitting the button, but I've never heard of one trying to drag race! Is it the dog's fault you had it in reverse, I ask you? LOL!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2004
11:38 PM

Post #1189335

reverse was better than D, that would have been through the garage door!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 10, 2004
11:46 PM

Post #1189346

Kooger, if only you could speak dog. Perhaps Barney said, 'Let's crank 'er up and see what this baby will do!' How is a dog to see out the windshield and operate the gas pedal at the same time.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2004
11:51 PM

Post #1189351

I think he was as confused as I was - why can't she get her feet outa my way!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

December 11, 2004
12:02 AM

Post #1189369

Well, Kooger, I'm sure he's forgiven you for it by now! LOL!
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2006
8:31 PM

Post #2004455

Bumping this one up. Its hilariously written and performed and deserves to be read by others also.
Janett
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2006
10:08 PM

Post #2007075

Thanks, Janett! I'd forgotten all about this one. The whole thread is full of great stories, each one offering some mental pictures that can cause a belly laugh!
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2007258

I loved this thread the first time I saw it...gonna hafta take a gander at it again. :-)
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2006
11:47 PM

Post #2007268

can cause ??? heck I already had a belly ache after picturing you "matadoring" that bull ROFLOL and the rest of the posting didn't help my stomach either. I even had my son reading it and he had some serious giggle attacks from this tread.
Now don't try to become a grease spotted glove wearing puddle on the ground again will you!!?
Janett
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

January 29, 2006
12:13 AM

Post #2007311

Well, at this point, I'm perfectly willing to let the moose eat my garden... it's under snow!
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2006
5:59 AM

Post #2007873

I'd never seen this thread until just now. I have laughed so hard at these stories that I have tears running down my face. Thanks for sharing these adventures. The stuff in the toilet almost sent me onto the floor I was laughing so hard. That and the stump of net he had left. I also own a Cocker, and she rides in the BACK seat only, so I can picture you with that silly dog in the way of your brake pedal. I open the back car window just enough for her to get her head and ears out. If we travel far enough, it takes me forever to get the mats out of her ears that the wind causes blowing through her tresses. I have really enjoyed this thread a lot.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #2008228

This thread has been hilarious. I loved the moose story and I'm glad you're safe. Then the van and the dog story really had me in stitches. It reminded me of Garrison Keillor's story about the mouse, hidden in the seat of the corn driller, unbeknownst to the owner who ended up on quite a ride.

We once had an experience, in our own vegetable garden, as we were going through it and sharing the goodies with a friend. We had the Jalapeno plants a few feet from the tomatoes that we were giving her. We noticed a vole running round and round, over and over, around the Jalapeno plant - chasing his tail. He must have taken a few bites and it had it's effect on the poor thing.

No match for the stories by Weez and Kooger but much safer.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2006
3:38 PM

Post #2008313

What a coincidence that Janett would revive this thread on Fri. We had to put Barney down, and Fri was his last day. He was a stray and we had him 11.5 years so we are really missing him. Rereading his most serious 'crime' brought tears to my eyes and precious memories. The tree in the park still bears the scar from the crash scene. He was such a personality, definitely a 'mommy's dog'. DH would sometimes try to call him away from the window by the door where he would wait patiently for me to return. And then u would think I had been gone for a week, the welcome he would give me! Only after they are gone, do u realize how many times a day u think of them and check on them. Yup, he was my baby! (sad smile) ...pic is DGD saying good bye and telling Barney he'll be in heaven with Opa, (my dad).

As always in life, laughter and tears go hand in hand. The mental vision of Weez and that moose will always cause a smile and a shudder in me. :)

Thumbnail by kooger

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 29, 2006
7:07 PM

Post #2008750

Oh Kooger, I'm so sorry you have lost your friend.

No words, just ((((((hugs)))))

Pati
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2006
7:18 PM

Post #2008780

It was Equillibrium and Floridian that was looking for Datdogs vulture tread in the "Vultures are to funny" and I had resently been reading it and we got to talk about it when Floridian asked if I had read this one and I had so I bumped this one up.

Oh so sorry to hear that your dog is gone. (((hugs)))
It so darn hard to loose a pet and even more when they have been with you for a very long time, most of the dayli choresrevolves around checking dogs and kids. I lost my Zorro a few years back to cancer and i almost drove me nuts, all that oh have to feed the dog, time to get out for a walk, just to realise that thers no one to walk with. No more warm furry thing taking up all the space in bed.
So I got me a new 220 llbs furry thingy from a shelter in Lanzarote. Canary Islans
Janett

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 9:20 PM

Thumbnail by Janett_D

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2006
7:58 PM

Post #2008883

Thanks for the hugs, they all help. And so true, Janett, daily life definitely revolves around kids and pets. And it's the first thing I did in the morning - let the dog out and the last thing at night! And whenever I sat at the computer, he slept between me and the door. And at night he preferred sleeping between my side of the bed and the door - can't count how many times I stumbled over him in the middle of the night and then would love him up for the oopsie! It's been over 2 years since he could jump up on the bed with us. The last half year he slept more at the end of the hallway, about in the middle of the house. We suspect his hearing was going and he could no longer hear the kids coming and going from our bedroom. Recently, I was out of the car and in the house before he even heard me! But that was really minor, besides the health problems.

As I mentioned on the Coffee Thread, I would dearly love a blue marle (sp?) sheltie but we're planning on going dogless for awhile. I'm gone too many hours in a week to do justice to a new dog. I'm hoping to cut back a bit on hours in a year or two and then look. (until another stray finds us? smile) And that 220 lb. furry thing there is a beauty! You flew him back from the Canary Islands? wow! bet that was an adventure! but don't u just love tusseling with a BIG dog? There's just nothing like wrestling on fresh spring grass with a big dog!!
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2006
8:32 PM

Post #2008983

I'm so sorry about your Barney being gone. I had to put my best friend/best dog down several years ago when she was getting old and in too much pain. Some dogs are just so special to us and even though we love others, they still hold a place in our hearts.

Diane
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2009006

I have always had a soft spo for BIG dogs :0)) the bigger the more there is to love and cuddle with
Yeah ...that is a story all by itself
A friend Ann in Gothenburg that placed dogs from this shelter flew down to get him I had only seen him on pictures and knew what size he was. Being a big bossy male about 4 years old. Me and my son had a discussion on if he would dare to go a few rounds for the position of being the top dog. I told him Tayson may bite you a few times and he is B.I.G. He decided that Tayson was worth the risk and deserved a good live, being locked up prison like for three years.

Ann was going to fly down and be there for a week and on her way home was going to take Tayson and two other rescue dogs with her, she had a permit from British Airway of taking 3 not the ordinary 2 dogs on each flight.
Well when you fly from Lanzarote (outside the coast of Africa for those who don't know where it is) she flew over Spain and Portugal almost when they reach Portugal she get the words from one of the flightstewardes that one of the dogs was still on the ground in Lanzarote.
She freaked and got hysterical. Forced the plain to land, And in rage demanded the plane to go back and GET THAT DOG. I personally cleared and checked the dog in you better get him, Sadly there where one flighcommand department that didn't allow them to go back.
I then lived in Stockholm and was on my way down to Gothenburg to meet up with her, got a somewhat nutty hysterical not making much sense phone call from Ann yelling that Tayson in his cage is all alone sitting in Lanzarote airport and no one there knew he was left.
She finally got a hold of Andrea the person in charge at the Shelter and she took him home to her. Ann was forced to continue the flight to Gothenburg
What had happened was that the Pilot in his last check before liftoff, noticed that there was on dog more then allowed and gave order that my big baby should be unloaded. grrrrrrrrrrr he hadn't got the clearance from the check in desk that we HAD permit from his company to have 3 dogs on board. The woman there had made a HUGE blunder. she should have made the notification that it was a special delivery / luggage agreement.
Oboy did she get a mouthful from all over the place.
The pilot that made the error occur promised that on his next Friday flight two weeks later he would personally get Tayson home. So two weeks later Tayson arrived to Gothenburg as the Pilots personally luggage.
Some ride he had to get to us.
Janett
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

January 29, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #2009224

That's quite a story about Tayson, Janett! What a world traveler!

Kooger, bless Barney's big ol' heart... he was a real cutey. There is something about that stout stance that old dogs get.. it just makes me smile. We have two old dogs in the house. The youngest is 12 and her mother is 16, so we will soon be sharing that sense of loss, I am sure. I'm really glad that this old thread popped up again to give you a reminder of that adventure you and Barney shared.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2006
10:45 PM

Post #2009285

Kooger - my heartfelt sympathy goes to you and your family on the loss of Barney. Now is the time you'll be told to remember all the good times but each good time brings more tears. I've been through it too many times and last August 13th was the end for our Suga, a rescue beagle. I'm so very sorry.
oladyhoo
Brunswick, GA

January 30, 2006
2:19 PM

Post #2010461

Can you believe that after Katrina, some government workers didn’t know people would rather die than leave their pets behind. I would have been one of them. Thank y'all for a morning's enjoyment reading your stories.

These are our babies.

Thumbnail by oladyhoo

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2010466

Oh my goodness...now there's a picture to bring a smile to your face. LOL
Do these charmers have names?
Pati
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2006
2:40 PM

Post #2010496

oladyhoo - the dogs and the captions are adorable.

Just this morning I was writing to a DG friend and mentioned the people who wouldn't leave their pets behind during Katrina and Rita. I just can't imagine turning my back on my remaining dog, Harry, and leaving him. How people could do it is way beyond my thinking. All our pets rely on on us for care, water, food, etc. and to close the door and leave would be too heartless for me.

Thumbnail by pirl

oladyhoo
Brunswick, GA

January 30, 2006

Post #2010766

We had a mandatory hurricane evacuation about 4 years ago, and you can bet our pets were the first ones in the car.

The big dog is Buddy, 8, and the dominatrix is TC (Tiny and Cute, 10, named by our granddaughter). Buddy defers to her in most situations, including getting out of that chair (which overlooks my computer) when she whines at him, so she can have a turn being photographed sitting in it.

I don’t want to slight Kit Kat, who, at 15, is now retired.

Thumbnail by oladyhoo

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2006
6:27 PM

Post #2010805

olady: APPLAUSE!
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2006
10:46 PM

Post #2011191

Great pictures and captions.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2006
4:44 AM

Post #2012201

Hey Weez, a very happy birthday to YOU!!! Yeah, it was really special to reread about the moose and the coon and Barney.

Janett, that frequent flyer dog of yours was a good tale too!! Musta been a real panic worrying if he was being taken care of or just forgotten in a crate! Looks like he took it in stride.

I noticed yesterday that we have a new wallpaper on the pc - apparently DS (16 yr old) is missing Barney too so we now have one of Barney - rather big! It's from about 4 years ago and really shocked me how much he had changed, read aged, in the last few years. I guess u just don't really notice when ur with them day to day. Kinda like in peeps u haven't seen for 10 years. Then u later confide with ur hubby on how old he or she was looking -- and u forget they're saying the same thing when they get home about U! LOL

olady and pirl - nice shots of the furred ones. That squirrel wld be dinner if Oscar was laying on that railing. He keeps a cache in the back corner of the garage (wish he wouldn't!) and we've cleaned out rabbits, squirrels, rats, mice and birds. So totally gross!!! I was furious at him one day -- he got one of the cardinals and we don't see them very often so I was really ticked at him for that. He was a stray also, a very sick, half dead stray but now he's a huge cat and a great hunter. I appreciate having no mice in the house but sure wish he would leave the other critters alone and not bring them home! ick!!
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2006
7:20 AM

Post #2012311

Happy Birthday, Weez!! I hope you have a great day and don't see any moose in your garden! ;-)
Equilibrium

February 1, 2006
12:28 AM

Post #2013962

Gosh kooger, really sorry about your baby there.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 1, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #2014531

Thanks for the birthday wishes.
ceeadsalaskazone3
Seward, AK

February 2, 2006
4:42 AM

Post #2016759

Everybody in the store who saw Dennis with Weez's Birthday flowers asked: What did you do? So funny, he said a guy can't even buy flowers without being accused of something!!! LOL LOL
Happy Birthday, my friend.
Carol
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2006

Post #2017820

Thanks, Carol! Yes, the joys of living in a small town! I should have shown up at the store shortly after him to buy an ice pack... with a big old bruise on one eye! That would have kept the town buzzing!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2006
12:45 AM

Post #2172535

Weezin, I have to bump you. Your story is not only well told, It's interesting and very humerous! I can't imagine not running for the house. Aint no tree big enough for me.
Everyone has an interesting story!
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 9, 2006
9:39 PM

Post #2176968

Thanks for the bump, billyporter...this is one of my all-time favorite stories!!!
Pati

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #2177020

It has to win some sort of award don't you think? I just reread it and fell down laughing again.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2006
6:05 AM

Post #2178041

Gee, guys, thanks for the kind words. I was truly inspired when I wrote this, and fresh from the yard where I'd been doing Bullwinkle battle. I must have been on an Adrenalin rush.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2006
11:49 PM

Post #2182488

It was worth every word!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 13, 2006
5:13 PM

Post #2187199

Thanks! We had a fair sized moose in our yard about a week ago... a young one, but still huge. He/she was nibbling on some of our alders. Our old doglets woofed a bit, but were glad to be called back indoors for a treat. They know better than to get close to those hooves!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #2190249

I can't imagine anything bigger than a stray cat in my yard. LOL!
ceeadsalaskazone3
Seward, AK

April 14, 2006
9:47 PM

Post #2190467

Weez, sister, Ava had 6 moose in her yard at the same time last week. For everyone else, Ava lives between me and Weez. And that little yearling orphan was by the culvert yesterday and I think his twin is a skeleton by Nash Road this side of the bridge by Brummers. I've been seeing Bald Eagles, Ravens, Magpies and Stellar Jays working the carcass for a month. Our property has a nesting pair of Bald Eagles and all those other scavengers are keeping them vigilant near their tree.
...The Other Carol
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 15, 2006
6:16 AM

Post #2191779

It's a harsh world for young moose who live close to people. The neighbor dogs pester the calves, and I'm sure a few get shot for the freezer. Ah, well, the eagles and ravens have a feast.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2006
11:42 AM

Post #2191911

I'm so glad to see this bumped up yet again. I do believe it is my all time favorite DG thread
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 15, 2006
4:21 PM

Post #2192496

Thanks so much, Floridian. I should probably read the whole thread again myself, since I'll soon be back out in the yard defending all my green babies. I need to remember how ornery a moose can be!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2006
2:53 AM

Post #2812275

Well, I just found this, and read the whole thing. It is so funny, and had to tell DH a few times what I was laughing about. He has no sense of humor, so to him, it would be a dull read. Me, I love the slapstick whether it be humans or animals.

This deserves a bump.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2812415

Thanks

Sashagirl

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2006
3:49 AM

Post #2812438

Bonnie, You read my mind. I came back here just to BUMP it up.
People just HAVE to read this, as it's priceless in dozens of ways.
Deanna
gaiadisciple
Fuquay-Varina, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2006
7:33 PM

Post #2825883

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread (I am slacking at work, afterall), but here's a thought...how about some nice hard rubber bullets for the moose who think of your yard as a salad buffet?

::POW!:: right in the fanny ought to get the point across
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 17, 2006
11:40 PM

Post #2826628

Oh, I'm sure it would! The problem with a moose is which way he will run... off into the woods or up the porch steps to stomp me! Thanks for the bump, everyone! I managed to get through this season without 'The Running of the Bulls', so I feel fortunate!
ceeadsalaskazone3
Seward, AK

October 19, 2006

Post #2832233

I have to say that the rubber bullet works only if you shoot it on the side you want them to start moving to. I used a pellet gun and found the pellet in the hind quarter of a road kill moose donated later that same year. When I shot it the direction she took was right at me, the source of her attack! I had a large dog (Sweetie Pie) who smartened up in that department over the years. At first when I yelled to chase a moose away he would stand right by me and help. Well, after many, many charges and near stompings (He did suffer one stomping, in the yard, deep snow and Sweetie Pie was young. He was slapped down into soft snow and only bruised) he figured out to approach from the opposite side from me and lead the moose away as it charged him. What a dog! Moose definately aren't your typical deer for spooking.
Carol
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 20, 2006
5:02 PM

Post #2835145

That's what I figured, Carol. I had the same experience when I squirted a moose with the hose. She headed straight at me. Poor Dennis didn't even have time to grab a gun before it all happened. Fortunately, when I stepped sideways behind a tree, the cow just shot past me and kept going. My matedor moose was a bit more feisty. Moose seem to hate dogs. They'll make a point of seeking them out for a good stomping.
linedancer
Fort McCoy, FL

October 26, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #2852920

I lived in New England for over 50 years and never got to see a moose. I love moose! I collected them back home but since I moved to FL I thought it probably wasn't a good idea. Flamingos maybe, but not moose.
Gail
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2006
3:46 PM

Post #2858784

Well, come up to Alaska and spend a week or two, and you'll see some moose! I can usually tell when they are in the neighborhood, because the dogs are barking all down the road. Most smart dogs steer clear of moose and porcupines.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #3142793

Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday Dear Weezingreens, Happy Birthday To You.

Your moose story is so good it's time for a bump!

Sally
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #3143510

Thanks, Sally!
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 12, 2007
2:14 PM

Post #4185045

BUMP...just because it's so funny!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2007
3:43 PM

Post #4185361

Well, I just read the whole thread and I have had my laughs for the week--maybe the entire month! So funny reading all the great stories and yet sad about those of you having to say good-bye to beloved pets.
Over on one of the weather threads, I asked Kiska, who also lives in Alaska, if moose were dangerous and Dyson, also on the same weather thread, told me to check out this thread--guess I have my answer now! LOL
Thank goodness we don't have moose in Arkansas. However, we do have a population of over a million deer and this past week-end the Game and Fish Commission estimated that there were 500,000 deer hunters in the woods--now that's a scary thought--talk about testosterone--and every one of them is carrying a gun! I know, I know, the deer have to be harvested and shooting is kinder than letting them starve due to overpopulation but I still think of deer as "Bambi".
Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread with tales of too many deer. I have had a great start to the week by enloying all these "animal adventures" ROTFLOL!!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

November 12, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #4185807

Gad you enjoyed it, marsue! Many years ago, my first husband & I spent a year in Wisconsin. When it was deer season, the farmers painted 'cow' in big letters across their Jersey cows to keep greenhorn hunters for shooting them.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2007

Post #4196490

We were coming home from town when we saw a huge red paint spray across the entire lane. In the ditch was a deer with a huge chunk of it's shoulder gone. Luckily it was dead. I'll take a hunter any day.
crittergarden
Pittsburgh, PA

April 10, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9077193

Well, now it's been 5 years and there are lots of new folks who haven't read it yet so:

BUMP!!!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9077210

Thanks for bumping this Jill, I never saw it the first time around and it's hilarious.

Doug

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9081600

gosh, time flies. Barney, with the lead foot errr butt, has been over the rainbow bridge for quite a few years already. Sure miss that guy. He was rather unique and most certainly MY dog.

I see Moose Matador and I just grin, picturing Weez facing off with that critter. oh my!!
crittergarden
Pittsburgh, PA

April 14, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9081834

I laughed so hard I cried - and more than once - reading this thread.
Actually got sore laughing muscles through the raccoon story.
Put my glasses back on the next morning and they were filthy with salty tear stains.
:D
I just HAD to revive the thread!
(after I revived myself)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9093823

It's one of my top favorites and deserves to be read by everyone who joins Dave's Garden!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9094347

Needs to be added to the classics thread.
crittergarden
Pittsburgh, PA

April 25, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9096978

There's a classics thread?????
How do I nominate???

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9101757

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/archive/all/
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2014
9:13 PM

Post #9759834

Well...It's time to wish our "Moose Matador" a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY~!

I have stayed up late to read this whole thread again...and laughed at each of the stories as much as I did the first time. So...Dear Girl...I hope your Birthday is one of the BEST and that you haven't had to join the "Bull Moose Party" any more. Jo

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2014
10:18 AM

Post #9760087

ditto! Happy Birthday Weez!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2014
5:26 AM

Post #9763472

Same here Weezins! I think of you often :o)

HAPPY BELATED!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Wildlife Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Doing the Bunny Leap Bloomer 5 Apr 6, 2012 10:46 AM
The nicest thing happened in the local Walmart in their greenhouse.............. Merry_Sunshine 2 Apr 6, 2012 10:44 AM
Black Panther at pond BittysGarden 3 Apr 6, 2012 10:56 AM
BIG cat incident lantana 7 May 16, 2012 7:21 PM
Eerie Howling Dorise 10 Jun 13, 2012 3:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America