Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Is it Pedilanthus really?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I bought it from a nursery a month ago. He said it was pedilanthus. Note the flower-spike. The bud is a tiny round yellowish thing which I think will open into a bluish tiny flower by evening. The stem is not hard. Breaks off easily. The cut stem roots easily as well. Can someone identify it? I got a doubt because the other pedilanthus (red-bird plant) is different.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

I've just looked up Pedilanthus tithymaloides Variegatus in the RHS book. They say that it is a succulent shrub with thin woody or fleshy stems. The yellow based bracts should apparently open up reddish.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

It does not have a zig-zagging stem.

Have the flowers opened yet Dinu?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Baa, you can see a couple of them on the top of the picture - bluish in colour. Those tiny light-green spots are the buds and the stalk is nearly invisible due to the background.

I suspect your doubt is right Dinu but I'm afriad I'm at the extent of my knowledge of this particular plant. I hope someone can come up with either an explaination or name for the plant you have here. It's very showy and a lovely addition to your beautiful garden!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.