Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Propagation: how do you propagate Taro?

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 5, Views: 249
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
toadlily
Grandview, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2001
5:08 AM

Post #3651

I have a silver leafed taro that I just love. Problem is, it rarely puts on new leaves (still has the 2 it put on in November) and there are no runners. I cut one leaf off 3 weeks ago and tried it in water, but the cutting just died. Any suggestions?
Surf
Whittier, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2001
7:26 AM

Post #68975

Hi there-- I'm definitely no expert as I've just begun growing taro myself, but I think division is the best way to propagate taros. Apparently they will flower with giant calla like blooms, but this is supposedly rare except in the most ideal climates. I also read that these should be relatively quick growers given ample water and fertilizer. Mine are in pots, waiting for their bed to be readied, so I have been trying to keep them small for now. Good luck with yours! :)
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2001
1:43 PM

Post #69249

I think that taro and elephant ears are one and the same.if so...root division

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2001
11:54 AM

Post #69537

yes, I read that elephant ears are also taro. Mine only had a few leaves the first year, but it was not a huge bulb. It should get bigger and bigger each year and have more leaves. Just fertize it.
toadlily
Grandview, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2001
1:50 PM

Post #69556

Thanks for all the info guys. I know that taro and EE are the same, The reason I asked about the cuttings, is because I thought I read somewhere that you could take cuttings from the leaves and they would also propagate. I guess I could be mistaken, hehe, ya know it HAS happened before, LOL.Toadlily
PS. Since I cut a leaf from the silver leafed taro, it has grown a new one. I guess it thinks that it is only allowed 2 leaves at a time because this is the first time since fall that it has put on anything new!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2001
4:49 PM

Post #72023

I just divide our elephant ears; the first year I lifted them, the big bulbs* I'd initially planted were gone and instead there were multiple babies in their place. I separated them and put them in paper bags over the winter. Last year, I potted them up and they grew just great. This year, I kinda forgot about them down there -- thanks for reminding me so I can get them in the pots!!

* I know they're not bulbs, but I can't think of what they'd be...Corms, maybe?! LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America