Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Propagation: how do you propagate Taro?

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 5, Views: 249
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
toadlily
Grandview, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2001
5:08 AM

Post #3651

I have a silver leafed taro that I just love. Problem is, it rarely puts on new leaves (still has the 2 it put on in November) and there are no runners. I cut one leaf off 3 weeks ago and tried it in water, but the cutting just died. Any suggestions?
Surf
Whittier, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2001
7:26 AM

Post #68975

Hi there-- I'm definitely no expert as I've just begun growing taro myself, but I think division is the best way to propagate taros. Apparently they will flower with giant calla like blooms, but this is supposedly rare except in the most ideal climates. I also read that these should be relatively quick growers given ample water and fertilizer. Mine are in pots, waiting for their bed to be readied, so I have been trying to keep them small for now. Good luck with yours! :)
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2001
1:43 PM

Post #69249

I think that taro and elephant ears are one and the same.if so...root division

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2001
11:54 AM

Post #69537

yes, I read that elephant ears are also taro. Mine only had a few leaves the first year, but it was not a huge bulb. It should get bigger and bigger each year and have more leaves. Just fertize it.
toadlily
Grandview, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2001
1:50 PM

Post #69556

Thanks for all the info guys. I know that taro and EE are the same, The reason I asked about the cuttings, is because I thought I read somewhere that you could take cuttings from the leaves and they would also propagate. I guess I could be mistaken, hehe, ya know it HAS happened before, LOL.Toadlily
PS. Since I cut a leaf from the silver leafed taro, it has grown a new one. I guess it thinks that it is only allowed 2 leaves at a time because this is the first time since fall that it has put on anything new!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2001
4:49 PM

Post #72023

I just divide our elephant ears; the first year I lifted them, the big bulbs* I'd initially planted were gone and instead there were multiple babies in their place. I separated them and put them in paper bags over the winter. Last year, I potted them up and they grew just great. This year, I kinda forgot about them down there -- thanks for reminding me so I can get them in the pots!!

* I know they're not bulbs, but I can't think of what they'd be...Corms, maybe?! LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America