Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Heirloom Vegetables: Black Raspberries and other things

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 892
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2002
12:13 AM

Post #33158

I spoke with 88 year old Elizabeth Harrell today on the phone.She was a possible source for another tomato.The tomato is gone many years now unfortunately.

We were talking about preserving old varieties of veggies and she asked if I might be interested in something other than seeds. Of course,the radar went up and I pounced on the little tidbit like a cat.

She has Black Raspberry bushes that her Grandfather brought to this area about 1840! Not the common red ones we see today,but Black! I'm not sure if that was the common color back then,gotta do some research in that dept.I wonder if Wil Weaver would have info on something like that Brook?I can take pictures when I go and send them to him if you think he would be interested.She also has grapes that her father planted about 1900 that are still producing on the homeplace where she still lives.

Now...I can just see John and Brook trying to figure out a wine recipe...hehe hehe...hic! We'll be swimming in libations this time next year,as I have no doubt that I'll not be alone in getting some of these ! I guess I'll have to figure out how to smuggle plants into the U.K.

She also has garlic that she's been growing for many decades..she can't remember how long,but at least 60 years.She remembers having it in her veggie garden as a young bride.

Sounds like I've got a windfall! Headed over to her home the end of the week.She says 'bring a bucket...berries are ripe and falling off the briars!"
Baa

June 18, 2002
9:14 AM

Post #284070

Good find Mel.

I have some black raspberry (Rubus occidentalis) seeds somewhere, the chap in Norway who sent them told me they were a North American native and that they cross readily with other raspberries.

Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2002
11:18 AM

Post #284131

Hey, Mel,

This is the first I've heard of her garlic! Reckon you're gonna get some from her when it's ready? Enough, maybe, to send me a couple of heads?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2002
12:49 PM

Post #284192

I recon I get garlic Brook. Can't wait to get over there and see the goodies.I forgot to mention it when I emailed you. oops!

We don't have raspberries growing wild in this area.Tons of blackberries,but no raspberries. These had to be brought in,which goes along with her story about her grandfather.

I'm curious about the grapes too.She said over the years,they planted other grapes that they purchased,but they eventually died out,except for the old ones.They're hanging full this year.

I'm hoping when I get over there that she'll have thought of a friend or relative that has some more stuff.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2002
4:07 PM

Post #285209

Hmmm...reckon I better check more closely into the black raspberries growing here. They had to have been planted yrs and yrs ago, I found them in the woods growing. Fortunately, when I cleared my present day garden site I didn't wipe them out! If you get a good source of identification I wish you'd post it.
By the way, this land was part of a bigger farm yrs ago and the folks that once owned/worked it are the same ones who grew Betty's White Okra...I'll check w/Betty and get back in touch.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2002
12:29 AM

Post #337873

melody... I am interested in her garlic. When you get some, would you taste it and describe it for me? I have just started growing garlic a couple of years ago, and want to try more and different garlics. I have had a few that are not the white garlic grown in Gilroy (CA) and sold in groceries all over this country. Yummy.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2002
12:43 AM

Post #337895

As soon as the weather cools just a tad,I'll go over there. Mrs.Harrell is the kind of lady that will insist on helping and the weather has been so hot,I didn't want to risk her health.
celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2002
5:06 PM

Post #388509

Mel,
Were you ever able to get some garlic from Ms. Harrell? I have just started growing garlic this year. I would be interested in what type of flavor they have.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2002
1:31 AM

Post #390566

I've been covered up lately and haven't had a chance to get to Mrs.Harrell's.It's just as well,because she would insist on helping and it's been misrably hot for waaay too long. It's cool now ,so I'll give her a call in the next few days and see when she could have me over. I'd like to see what else she's got anyway.
BBWCHATT

May 6, 2003
2:16 AM

Post #525400

I am trying to find some white okra seeds called White Lightening created by Hastings from their White Velvet (the White Velvet is a pale green, and available all over the internet) - who then apparently sold them to Parks who then apparently sold them to White Flower Farms. I want them for an uncle who is in his 80's and thinks he would like to try them. I contacted Hastings in Atlanta - they are a Garden Center now. I contacted Parks and they have no record of them. I contacted White Flower Farms, but have had no response from them yet.

Thank you so much for your help. BBWCHATT@aol.com

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 23 Sep 2, 2014 6:00 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America