Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Is this poison ivy?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 258
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

April 16, 2001
5:49 PM

Post #3702

Is this poison ivy?

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Patty

April 16, 2001
6:04 PM

Post #68230

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
dave

April 16, 2001
7:54 PM

Post #68237

Dangit, I thought this was poison ivy, but I was hoping someone would come along and tells me "No Dave, this is actually a really rare and cool flowering perennial".

Why was I hoping this? Because I have millions of these plants growing around the farm. :(

Dave

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2001
11:51 PM

Post #68269

Dave... Be MOST careful... If you have lots of seedlings, you no doubt have some older vines growing up the trees. They will look a lot like the woody, fibrous stems of Virginia Creeper. Whatever you do, DO NOT cut them with a chain saw! You will have poison ivy in your eyes and on every other conceivable part of your body, and maybe even in your lungs! We managed to take a machete and slice off ours near the root, but even at that, the branches were still toxic 2 years later, and we had good cases of poison ivy getting rid of it. I understand poison ivy can remain toxic (root and stem) for many years after it has supposedly 'died'.

The seedlings respond well to a specific Round-Up product just for poison ivy.oak, available at Lowe's, and although I hate using toxins, I'd rather that than an annual case of poison ivy. After 3 years, we are slowly eradicating it... winning by maybe 55-45. It's a bear! (And it makes such pretty red leaves in the Fall!)
dave

April 17, 2001
1:29 AM

Post #68295

Darius: thanks for the good words. I'm definitely going to be careful around these guys - I spent a childhood learning all the lessons associated with poison ivy. :)

I have the Round-up Brush Killer right here, and will be putting it to good use after this cold snap passes.

Dave
Patty

April 17, 2001
1:53 AM

Post #68305

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2001
4:52 PM

Post #68466

Dave, I just came across an article with a recipe for a homemade remedy to eradicate poison ivy:

3 pounds of salt dissolved in a gallon bucket of soapy water. Spray/brush it on the leaves and/or pour it around the base of the plant.

I have no idea if this works, but it might be worth a shot as a side-by-side test with the Roundup. If you try it and it works, let us know, okay? I've got some in the back of our property that I think got killed back last year, but I'm keeping my eye on the apparently dead stem just in case.
dave

April 17, 2001
5:17 PM

Post #68468

go_vols: Won't the heavy salt application prevent anything else from ever growing there again (or, at least, for a long time)?

Dave

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America