Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Is this poison ivy?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 258
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

April 16, 2001
5:49 PM

Post #3702

Is this poison ivy?

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Patty

April 16, 2001
6:04 PM

Post #68230

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
dave

April 16, 2001
7:54 PM

Post #68237

Dangit, I thought this was poison ivy, but I was hoping someone would come along and tells me "No Dave, this is actually a really rare and cool flowering perennial".

Why was I hoping this? Because I have millions of these plants growing around the farm. :(

Dave

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2001
11:51 PM

Post #68269

Dave... Be MOST careful... If you have lots of seedlings, you no doubt have some older vines growing up the trees. They will look a lot like the woody, fibrous stems of Virginia Creeper. Whatever you do, DO NOT cut them with a chain saw! You will have poison ivy in your eyes and on every other conceivable part of your body, and maybe even in your lungs! We managed to take a machete and slice off ours near the root, but even at that, the branches were still toxic 2 years later, and we had good cases of poison ivy getting rid of it. I understand poison ivy can remain toxic (root and stem) for many years after it has supposedly 'died'.

The seedlings respond well to a specific Round-Up product just for poison ivy.oak, available at Lowe's, and although I hate using toxins, I'd rather that than an annual case of poison ivy. After 3 years, we are slowly eradicating it... winning by maybe 55-45. It's a bear! (And it makes such pretty red leaves in the Fall!)
dave

April 17, 2001
1:29 AM

Post #68295

Darius: thanks for the good words. I'm definitely going to be careful around these guys - I spent a childhood learning all the lessons associated with poison ivy. :)

I have the Round-up Brush Killer right here, and will be putting it to good use after this cold snap passes.

Dave
Patty

April 17, 2001
1:53 AM

Post #68305

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2001
4:52 PM

Post #68466

Dave, I just came across an article with a recipe for a homemade remedy to eradicate poison ivy:

3 pounds of salt dissolved in a gallon bucket of soapy water. Spray/brush it on the leaves and/or pour it around the base of the plant.

I have no idea if this works, but it might be worth a shot as a side-by-side test with the Roundup. If you try it and it works, let us know, okay? I've got some in the back of our property that I think got killed back last year, but I'm keeping my eye on the apparently dead stem just in case.
dave

April 17, 2001
5:17 PM

Post #68468

go_vols: Won't the heavy salt application prevent anything else from ever growing there again (or, at least, for a long time)?

Dave

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America