What is your favorite

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

breed of dogs? I used to have a Blue Heeler. Her name was Meggie. She died at the ripe age of 15. She was a great friend. I have also had good mutts. Right now I have a Blue Tick hound, Savannaha. I also have a Golden Retriever, Clifford and a Chow-mix named Sassy. The last two mentioned just sort of set up camp here. Tell me about your fur faces...

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Hi Lisa, I finally found where you have been hanging out!

We have 3 German Shorthaired Pointers - 2 males and 1 spayed female. Since our children are grown these are our babies now. They are 11 years old and are so active that we still call them puppies. We had their mother until this past year when she past away in my arms. Naturally we watched these pups come into the world, and just couldn't part with these 3.

Their names aren't too inspired. When mom dog was having the puppies we gave all 8 quick names according to their markings so we would be able to identify each one. Patches is liver and ticked and of course has a big liver patch on his shoulder. Ticker mostly ticked. And Missy looked just like her mom.

Patches is my big gardening buddy. He loves to be out there and follow me around from bed to bed, while Missy sits on the porch and watches in the comfort of the shade. We have to keep the boys apart now in their older age they have become enimies. So Ticker is hubbys computer buddy. Lays at his feet while he spends his free time at home on the computers. When hubby is at work, the dogs take turns outside with me, but I have to confess, Patches is my favorite.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

nightmare is my girl-shes a 1yr old siberian husky with big beautiful blue eyes. my xhubby pasted away a yr ago oct.(making a blue garden for his memory)and he left our boys a puppy from their litter. She has become my doggie, she luvs to play in the snow and she fetches oranges,grapefruit and tangerines-till she's ready to eat them. She was inside until she ate a few beanie babies! I try to keep her out of the flowers as she really likes to dig! I do have hammer-he's a chinese sharpei but hes getting old and slow now-i still luv him though, would like to make one more batch of pups b4 he leaves this world!

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Lisa..
My favorite is the Boxer. I had one as a child and several over the last few years. Our loyal Boxer, Ike, died suddenly last year at the age of 10 1/2. He was such a trooper. We had a funeral for him and hubby placed a Naval War Honor medal on Ike for courage throughout his doggy lifetime. My childhood dog was a mixed Basenji and Candy lived to 17 years old. She was my best friend and I loved to garden with her at my side.
We did get another pup, a German Shepherd Dog, female. She's a great dog and very smart (would like to do Search and Rescue with her) but there is nothing in our hearts like our Boxer Ike and my sweet Pipper Candy.
Your Blue Tick Coonhounds sound fun! My favorite all-time book as a child was "Where the Red Fern Grows" with the coonhounds...Old Dan and Little Ann. My, how time flies by. Isn't it great for a dog to become such a special part of your life!
Trish

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The first dog I could really call mine was a female mixed farm breed I named Josie. She wandered into my folks yard when I was 16 and I laid claim to her. She saw me thru the next 18 1/2 years of life. Then there was Shannon who lived about 22 years. Another mixed farm breed. Myra Irene was a Border Collie/Blue Heeler who lived about 12 years. We bred Rat Terriers, West Highland White Terriers, Australian Terriers, and some others for a few years. Now we're back to mutts. My sweet Sugar mutt who was supposedly a Chihuahua/Rat Terrier cross died very unexpectedly last Spring at the age of 6 or so. Boy do I miss her. Now we have Hogan who is probably a Westie/Collie cross about 7 years old and Missy who we just got a couple months ago. She is suppose to be a Welsh Corgi/Blue Heeler cross. In between & along with most of those named were others who we loved a lot and felt terrible about loosing. We've had a huge Cocker Spanial who was wonderful in every way. A darling red minature poodle named Helen Reddy and some Toy Fox Terriers who weighed less than 3 1/2 lbs. We've had mutts and purebreds and loved them all. At one time while we were breeding dogs, yes we were a puppy mill, we had 52 dogs. Each was named, feed by hand much of the time and each had a special place in our hearts.
Speaking of dogs, Hogan and Missy are letting us know that they want back in the house. We let them out for a potty break when we got home from church a while ago. They'll bark loudly all around the house until we let them in for the night.

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

I have a Jack Russel (Toot)who thinks his mama is my very large, red tom cat, Jake.

Jake was about 6 months old when rescued, and at the same time we got him, we added Toot to our clan. Toot was 6 weeks old and clung to Jake the cat very tightly.

They are such fun - play and wrestle but never hurt each other. Curl up and take naps together. They have one huge disagreement - Jake catches birds (which I hate), and Toot takes them away from him.

Now that I think of it, I don't know if Jake thinks he's a dog, or Toot thinks he's a cat!
Grits

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hey folks...hmmm...we just lost our oldest dog, Cassie, to cancer this past yr. Still looking for a puppy for our other dog, Hazel. Cassie was a very smart and loving Lab/Weimaraner, Hazel is a devoted energetic Lab/Dalmation. What a treat! Because I spend so much time in the woods they both learn etiquette like walking quiet as a mouse, "wait", and come to a low whistle. We are the best of friends. (Cassie seems to still be with us. Once, my dd of "just-turned-seven" even mentioned to me "Dad, I thought I just saw Cassie out the corner of my eye, it was so real I HAD to look!") It sounds to me like we all have our favorite and loving pets, so great! (course now, I once had a dog named Rhubarb...so smart! He's the only one I learnt how to drive a pick-em-up truck. Yep. Four on the floor, too. Um-hmmm. (and pulled a trailer behind it!) Perhaps someday I'll tell ya more. G'nite ya'll!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Our yellow lab of 12 years died last year. He was a major escape artist, and he ran away one day, came home ill. It's suspected he ate/drank some sort of poison. He was such a good dog. He and my DS were real tight - when DS was 4, he and Buddy used to run around the porch and bark as soon as they heard daddy's truck coming down the road. DS used to sneak Buddy into his bed, too. I don't know how he did it, but I once found Buddy on the top bunk!

Jake is our 2 yr old Weimaraner. Not a mean bone in his 88 lb. body. Very sweet, gentle dog - likes to follow DH around. Poor guy thought he was going to get to go running in some fields when my DH and DD brought their rifles down to go to the range. He saw them getting ready and went and sat obediently by the front door.

Mauly, our 1 yr old Dobie is the opposite of Jake, and drives him nuts. She is full of energy and always into some sort of mischief. She likes to drop a bone in front of Jake, and when he bends downs to snif it she "attacks" him. She likes to pull his ears. He's got a few scars from when she had sharp puppy teeth, but since then, haven't seen her draw any blood - just likes to pester him! She's such a baby (if you're part of her pack, that is. If you're not, watch out!)

So, I guess our favorite dog is the one(s) sharing our house at any given moment!

Take care.
Karla

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

My favorite was a boxer (such a beautiful dog) but now I have a tiny, cute Yorkie, named Brandi & a Rat Terrier (Suzi) with an attitude.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I tend to favor little dogs....the kind that can fit right between your legs while you're stretched out in the recliner watching television. I had two poodles who lived to be 16 before they went to the Rainbow bridge and I now have a Bichon Frise, Buffy. She is 10 and I am so attached to her and her to me. She has glaucoma and I belong to a blind dogs elist for support and information. She is blind in one eye but we're still hanging onto vision in the other with medications. I shudder to think of the thousands I've spend on her trying to save her eyes, but it is so very much worth it. I love cats too and have two. My oldest is 20!

southeast, NE

I'm a little late joining here. My favorite is the border collie. My dh was visiting some friends and when he came back to the pickup there was a puppy waiting for him. These friends raise border collies and this puppy was a litter reject so he gave it to my dd. The parents of this puppy were winners of many contests. DD named her Jenny and we couldn't believe how smart she was and how much she helped us with our sheep. I have so many stories about her. She knew she wasn't supposed to ever leave the place or go to the end of the driveway so when my dd would walk to the end of the driveway for the bus, she would go into the down position about half way down the driveway and stay and watch dd until she got on the bus. Unfortunately about 6 years ago she was hit by the UPS truck on our place. We do have another border collie, Abby. She's also intelligent but sometimes we wonder especially when she decides to sneak in the bull pen and tease him by chasing his tail. Our dogs are outside dogs. They are so hyper that I cannot imagine them being inside.

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

My favorite is also the Border Collie. I had Oscar for 12 years before it was time for him to cross the rainbow. After two years, I decided I wanted another dog and only another border collie would do. Last week I drove 9 hours roundtrip to pick up a 7 week old puppy. We named her Misty and she's picking up quickly. My fiance jokingly says he now has two women that won't listen to him!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images