Tropicals: Big Elephant Ear

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

This is our Elephant Ear with a coke can to show the size..
Sugar

Thumbnail by Sugar_fl

That is hugh and in a pot besides.
Have you measured just how long and wide those leaves are?
I just planted my first elephant ears this ear but mine aren't near that big yet, but growing good so far.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Coco it measures 29 in long & 20 in wide. DH has quite a few in his garden but not this large.

totally Awesome! I hope mine get just as big. Does he fertilize them with anything or just waters em? Gee,will have to go out and see how big mine are this morning. We had thunderstorms and some rain so just maybe they grew a bit more than the day before.hehehe

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Coco I don't fertilize like I should. My DH dug a wide trench like he was making a pond. It was at least 18in deep 3 ft or so wide & about 10 ft long. He lined it with heavy black plastic then mixed horse manure with the dirt & filled it in. A few inches down he buried soaker hoses. He floods it every few days. He has quite a few plants in there with little ones growing. I water mine in the pot every day. It takes me over an hour most days to water unless God helps me. His hostas seem to be able to go several days without water & some are in pots... NOT my pots & some need it 2 times a day.. The barrels can but even most in the ground need water every day. A lot of the ones in the ground are in lasagna beds & the rest in amended soil as our ground is very poor.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Okay, I've heard the term lasagna beds before and now I have to show my stupidity and ask what it means. Please?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

It's doing great if this is it's first year.

I had one a few years back that measured 52" long, but it was about 5 yrs old. Don't have that one anymore - a man came and saw it & offered me $20.00 & I took it. I have a pic somewhere I can post when I get time to scan it in.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Brugie, do a search on lasagna beds here and you'll find all the info you need.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks tiG.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Brugie here is a good site on lasagna composting. I didn't follow the direction exactly, I just put down news paper or cardboard.. piled grass, leaves, manure, hay & whatever I had on top of the paper.. left it over winter & planted into it... worked for me. Two only had a couple months but are doing OK. My beds started out about 18 inches high or more.. now they are almost level with the rest of the yard.
Azalea this is it's 1st year. It gets in my way in my little garden so if it gets a lot bigger it may have to find a new place in the yard. I want to put it in a larger pot next year.

This message was edited Friday, Jun 21st 11:16 PM

This message was edited Sunday, Jun 23rd 10:16 AM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I'd try the site, but you forgot to put it in. I did read a couple of the others from here and I might give this a try, especially next to the garage where it is so dry and hard.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Brugie.. ooops sorry about that.. http://www.motherearthnews.com/gardening/gar173.lasagna.shtml

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Sugar_fl

I'll give it a try when I get back from the garden tour. High of 95 today and lots of humidity. Hope people show up for this thing. My niece has put a lot of work into her flowers this year getting ready for it.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Here are my EE's that are planted under bananas with caladiums and ginger.

Thumbnail by cclou
Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

I just planted EE. I didn't know what they were. They were bulbs when I found them at an old abanded house.(I was digging the soil because it was so rich) How did the bulbs survive?(around a foot under ground)? They grew quickly. This picture is after only 3-4 weeks after planting. I was told they are black magic EE. Liz

Thumbnail by lizbar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images