Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Shallots are ready - now what?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 263
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2002
12:48 PM

Post #33548

The shallots I planted last fall need to be harvested. I was thinking of mashing them and blending them with butter, and freezing in portions I can use in recipes.

Are there any easier/better ways to store them? We've used some in dishes throughout the spring, but there's a lot o' shallots out there :)
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2002
2:01 PM

Post #286859

Just treat them like storage onions or garlic, G_V.

Lift them. Let them cure in the sun for a day (just let them lay next to the rows they were in. Then hang them in a warm place out of direct sunlight to dry. When they have (takes a week or two), trim the stems to about an inch from the bulbs, and store in a dark place.

Shallots seemingly keep forever. Nine months or so, at any rate.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2002
2:14 PM

Post #286866

Thanks, Brook! I think I'll go ahead and make up some shallot butter to freeze, and follow your suggestion to dry and store the rest.
gerddi
Versailles, CT
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2002
6:28 PM

Post #287062

Two years ago I harvested my shallots (here in northern Europe we plant them as early as possible in spring, which means April here) and they kept for nearly two years! I dried them like Brook said and then hung them in strings, first outisde then brought them in when it got too cold.
Go_vols
I think your shallot butter sounds good and shall certainly try it and freeze it.
Brook
I shall also try freezing my squash, according to your directions instead of trying to give them away to people who don't want them!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America