Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: formerly known as "that awful weed"

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

That's what the lady who lived here before us called. I'd like to know what it really is. the stems and leaves are quite sticky and look like a succulent. It seeds like crazy, and has these clusters of five petalled almost magenta flowers.

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Kathleen, hard to be sure, I can't see the foliage well, but it looks like Silene "catchfly". I agree with you: very pretty!

I beat Baa! But maybe I beat her with the wrong answer LOL

I agree with Lupine, it's a Silene. Possibly Silene armeria if it's an annual/biennial.

http://images.google.com/images?q=silene+armeria&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you, ladies. I thought perhaps that's what it was. I am very happy to let it stray around the garden to it's heart's content, and if it gets in the way, it's easy enough to move. perhaps I should save some seeds. . .

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Now that's a weed I don't have to "grow" to love!!!

"eyes"

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

That is one pretty weed.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

It sure is a pretty weed and I would like to have it in my yard too.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

By all means, save me some seeds, pretty please with sugar on it? I think it belongs in every wildflower garden, especially mine. I will find something you will want in trade.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Aimee, I started a list and you're at the top!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.