Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What is this purple flowering groundcover?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 325
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
karen7
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2001
7:35 PM

Post #3746

Anyone know what this plant is? Makes a great groundcover with small bluish-purple flowers that bloom from early spring until late fall. Bought it at an end of season clearance at a local plant store but it didn't have a tag so I never knew what it was. I've never seen it anywhere else. I took this photo early in the season when it first started to bloom. It gets a lot more flowers during the season so that it turns into a really pretty purple carpet resembling creeping purple phlox from a distance but having much different flowers and foliage when you get up close.

Sorry I couldn't get a better picture. The flowers are so small I really could have used a macro lens to get the deatil.

Thumbnail by karen7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dave

April 17, 2001
8:25 PM

Post #68525

What kind of foliage is that? Is it an evergreen type plant, deciduous, succulent, or... ?

Also - how tall is it? Are we looking straight down at it, or does it grow like a bush or hedge?

Dave
karen7
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2001
8:34 PM

Post #68529

The photo is looking straight down at the plant. The flowers themselves are probably about 1/4 inch in diameter. The entire plant is only a couple of inches high. It spreads pretty quickly running along the ground. The foliage is is evergreen. It is not a succulent.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2001
8:44 PM

Post #68533

I'm guessing a type of creeping veronica. A search for veronica repens; veronica prostata; or veronica pectinata might give some results or point you in the right direction. Here's one picture of v.repens

http://www.tradesecretgardens.com/PlantHTMLs/VeronicaRepens.html

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2001
10:09 PM

Post #68554

That would be my guess as well.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2001
11:00 PM

Post #68575

It does look like a Veronica but the leaves are so different to my speedwell and they seem different to Poppysues's link. Your leaves almost look like a succulent but you say they are not.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America