Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: What is this purple flowering groundcover?

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

Anyone know what this plant is? Makes a great groundcover with small bluish-purple flowers that bloom from early spring until late fall. Bought it at an end of season clearance at a local plant store but it didn't have a tag so I never knew what it was. I've never seen it anywhere else. I took this photo early in the season when it first started to bloom. It gets a lot more flowers during the season so that it turns into a really pretty purple carpet resembling creeping purple phlox from a distance but having much different flowers and foliage when you get up close.

Sorry I couldn't get a better picture. The flowers are so small I really could have used a macro lens to get the deatil.

Thumbnail by karen7

What kind of foliage is that? Is it an evergreen type plant, deciduous, succulent, or... ?

Also - how tall is it? Are we looking straight down at it, or does it grow like a bush or hedge?

Dave

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

The photo is looking straight down at the plant. The flowers themselves are probably about 1/4 inch in diameter. The entire plant is only a couple of inches high. It spreads pretty quickly running along the ground. The foliage is is evergreen. It is not a succulent.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm guessing a type of creeping veronica. A search for veronica repens; veronica prostata; or veronica pectinata might give some results or point you in the right direction. Here's one picture of v.repens

http://www.tradesecretgardens.com/PlantHTMLs/VeronicaRepens.html

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

That would be my guess as well.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

It does look like a Veronica but the leaves are so different to my speedwell and they seem different to Poppysues's link. Your leaves almost look like a succulent but you say they are not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.