Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: red vine

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have no idea what this is. Don't remember planting it but it has beautiful reddish flowers, and spreads like a vine.As you can see it seems to be taking over the yellow sedum.

Thumbnail by kat7
Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Is it callirhoe??? I have one that looks very similar to yours. Check out the pdb....
Becky

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That's what mine look like.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Callirhoe involucrata, 6"-12" tall, decumbent sprawling plant with trailing stems up to 18" long.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

SOOOO pretty....Its not hardy...is it?

CC, it's hardy here. If it makes seeds, want me to save you some?

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Well I like it.If anyone is going to trade any seed I would like some.

It's still blooming now, but I'll keep an eye out for seeds.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Wildseed Farms sells the seeds. They will form a carrot-like tuber, which can be used to start more. The trailing stems will not root, and should be cut back to promote fall growth after they die back in the heat. Blooming season is Feb-July. A pkt of seeds sufficient to cover 545 square feet sells for $1.75. Germination is 28-56 days. The blooms will close each evening, and remain permanently closed after pollination. There are other forms of callirhoe that are more erect, like the standing winecups seen along Texas highways in spring.

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks eveybody-mine looks just like the picture in the plant data base! I think the plant survived from last year so it must be hardy here in zone 6a as well. I'll try to get some seeds saved if anyone is interested!
Kathy

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I am, Kathy, Just let me know.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 25th 10:25 AM

I found what looks like two seed pods. Thanks Aimee for the info, I didn't know they closed after pollination!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.