-
AuthorContent
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2001
11:22 AM

Post #3767

Anybody know a good way to keep out the ducks?! We are right on the bay so every year the mallards come in and usually a few end up nesting in the yard somewhere. We always loved them, fed them etc, they even used to walk right into the house.

Well...since we put our pond in obviously the ducks don't belong anymore. Last year they ate everyone one of my goldfish, (and taking a swim/bath and rutting up the lilies,)the only fish they didn't get was my koi. We replaced all the fish and the ducks had their babies and went on their way. For the last 2 days now I have had to chase them out of the yard and just don't know how to get rid of them. I'm going to put a net over the ponds again but...it doesn't stop them, only deterrs them momentarily, they DO find a way to get under it for their free lunch and bath, geesh there has to be a way.

Any ideas?
AJC

April 18, 2001
12:05 PM

Post #68701

Hi jody, doubt it was the ducks that ate your fish, sounds like you get another visitor of some kind too, but,ducks are known to carry parasites from water to water, so they may have bought you some into the pond killing your fish, the oils from them can cause a small amount of pollution too, depending on how large the pond, and how many ducks, the only way that will work for sure is to cover the whole pond with a light wieght netting, again if you have a large pond thats difficult, ducks will return to the same place to breed year after year, some of there young will come back too, so if a net is out of the question, you may have get rid of the eggs, to drive them away, that may take a couple of seasons though, not the nicest thing to do, but i dont know of any easy way round your problem, but once you get the ducks to move on, restock with fish, but keep an eye out, incase you do have a preditor eating them, best time to look for one is dawn and dusk.
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2001
1:22 PM

Post #68720

Thanks for the advice Alan. I would not have thought the ducks would eat the fish either, but caught them "red handed" in the act, LOL.

I have netted the pond, as I did last year but somehow last year they found a way to get part of it up, hoping it will be secure enough this year that they can't. I figured they must nest at the same location, but didn't realize their young may come back too.

Hope I wouldn't ever have to resort to getting rid of eggs, I'm such a softie for animals, I cried and balked for a week a few years ago when the coon got the eggs in the nest beside the garage, LOL. Husband thinks I'm crazy but I just can't help it, shrug. But...even if the net works this year, I don't want to have to net it every year, is a lot of work and well...just doesn't look as nice. Wishing there were a way to deterr them from the yard all together.
TerryN68
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2001
1:38 PM

Post #68724

Hi Jody! I wonder if one of those 'Preditor' motion detectors would help with ducks. I have my trusty Jack Russel in the backyard and he won't let any animals near the pond. He thinks it's his water bowl and goes into protect mode when anything gets near.

T
AJC

April 18, 2001
2:43 PM

Post #68761

Jody, not wanting to break the eggs i a few points in your favoure, glad to hear it, some people would, u have never heard of ducks eating fish before, but i suppose they mst do if you have seen them, do you know what species they are ?, terry is right about those sensors, they make a high pitch noise beyond our hearing, but i think they affect cats and dogs too, not sure though, good luck with this one.
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2001
4:30 PM

Post #71496

Well...yesterday my bullfrog got caught up in the net over the pond...since I hadn't seen the ducks around for a few days I took the net off...sure enough a few hours later I looked out the window and there they were...swimming in the pond! Aaaakkkkkk!!!!!!! The female duck manged to chew on at least 3 fish as far as I can tell, and actually chewed the tails off of 2 of them. They are still alive but prognoisis obviously not good. I am so heart broken and frustrated!!!
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2001
11:16 AM

Post #71637

Jody, Ducks equal a mess when you have a pond, my neighbor doesn't seem to under stand the concept of keeping your animals in your own yard.
We called the humane society and DNR, their advice "shoot them and enjoy a nice duck dinner", yes they will eat small fish, (24) have been lunch. But after repeated calls , we went duck hunting, success.
When a duck gets into water, they release a lot of duck poop, causing the nitrites to greatly increase and the algae will feed on this and a great algae bloom will happen, not a good thing for your pond. I hated to do them in but ...
Anyway the netting and motion dector sound great. Ann
barrykooda
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2001
6:59 AM

Post #74285

Hi Jody,
I had a problem with 50 to 100 grackles nesting every year in the cedars next to my house and the resulting poop and noise was a real pain. I don't know if it will help you any but I bought a cheap ($35) paint ball gun and popped them ( well...NEAR them. They're not real accurate)using the biodegradable paint balls only every 4th or 5th shotand shooting "blanks" the rest of the time.It was enough to make them too uncomfortable to nest and , once the nesting cycle was interrupted , I don't have nearly the problem. It was pretty satisfying , too hunting without injuring. The sound of the gun without paint balls is enough to discourage them from coming around now.
Good luck!
Barry
Baa

May 13, 2001
10:25 PM

Post #74397

Having ducks for some years I can assuredly say they eat anything small enough to fit in their beaks. I've even found one eating baby rabbits from a rabbit nest and have seen our own drake kill and eat his own offspring. You'd think they weren't fed enough!

We also have a pond and there is no way you can keep them out without building a frame with wire netting over it. You could try a plastic heron as they will stay away from larger birds.
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2001
1:07 AM

Post #81305

Jody..

I have to make one short comment... :) Then I'll go away and stop misbehaving.

QuACK!!! :)
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2001
10:39 AM

Post #81406

Lololol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America