SOLVED: Meconopsis grandis

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

My blue poppy is blooming this year, after two years of abstinence. It has been in my bed for about five years, and the label said it was a grandis. I know that they are often mislabeled, and I noticed that the blooms face downward. Can anyone pinpoint which meconopsis this is?

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

I love the color

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The blue of these poppies look almost phony.. like they are from an episode of Star Trek, but they are strikingly beautiful.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Weez that looks like the grandis picture in my book. The flowers are nodding and it says all the leaves are covered with rusty bristles. Can I get in the seed line?

I agree with Poppysue, I looked in the RHS book and they said they are nodding flowered too

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Good, so I don't have to relabel it! Blue poppies have become all the rage here, with limited success. This one has decided to stay. I have a friend that grows another type, I believe, so I'll have to get over there to take pictures when it blooms. He always shares seed, too. I'll give him a call.

PoppySue: Sure, you're in the queu! I hope to get lots of seed, if all goes well, since there are at least seven buds on this plant.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

WOW my eyes get big when I saw this photo is very beautiful love that color.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree, it looks artificial. I planted blue poppy seed several years ago, got them in a trade, but never had anything like this. In fact, the blooms were really deep red with a bluish cast to the leaves, which the sender said was where the name "blue poppy" came from. I liked them just fine, but I really really like these! If you make a list for SASE or I can send you anything, I would love seeds. Trying to think of seeds to send to you is like taking coal to Newcastle.

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

What a beautiful color-put me on the seed waiting list!!

Blum, TX(Zone 8a)

wow! such an irredescent bright blue, I too! thought it had been colorized.I know that the seed list will be too long at this time and I will probably forget when bloom time comes around again,but we can't have it all can we?maybe someone else will have good luck with thier seed, and I will be able to get some from them.what a treasure!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Tink, I can only hope to remember to ask for them, but there will be loads of seeds in just what is in that photo.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I want on the list too Weez.Plezzz

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Guess we'd better call this thread back up later this summer so that I remember who wants seed. The next trick will be keeping the seed from molding in the pods, if we have as much rain later on as we do now!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

If you have a couple extra seeds, I'd like them too, since my gardens seem to be predominately blue, I think I'd like to expand on that. If you get lots of seeds and have extra, please let me know what you are looking for in trade. If you don't have many seeds, then leave me out please, 'cuz I haven't been real successful with poppies this year and don't want to take seeds away from someone who can grow them properly.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm hoping to have lots of seed this year, Joan, and I'm glad to share if it all works out. I'm going to check with a friend of mine who has blue poppies, as well. He's a seed saver too, so maybe between the two of us, we can make everybody "blue".

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks so much Carol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.