Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Pic's of my fish!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 38, Views: 600
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2002
1:42 AM

Post #34206

I tried to get them all together but it is impossible! The orange one is 'jaws' he weighs over 3 lbs...the yellow one is 'sunshine'and weighs about 2 lbs or more...Don't they look like they are kissing?

Thumbnail by imaseedpicker
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2002
12:41 AM

Post #293380

Maybe I should have posted 'Kissing Fish' and gotten a better response! Anyway...I love my fish and have spent 100's of dollars the last month to save them from dying from parasites and I think they are worth every penny!

This forum really moves slow...there must not be too many ponders here at Dg!

Happy Ponding!
Rebecca

This message was edited Sunday, Jun 30th 8:47 PM
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2002
1:02 AM

Post #293396

Okay Rebecca ... I'll respond ;o] NICE FISH!! 3 pounds sounds like a whopper. I only have gold fish. We can't get Koi in Maine - they're illegal to sell here. Actually when I bought my gold fish the fella said he couldn't sell them to me if I intended to put them in a pond or water garden. I had to go back the next day & get the fish from a different employee...
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2002
1:04 AM

Post #293398

It's amazing what we do for a fish. But we ponders do love our fishies!! Your's are very cute. Your timing was good!! or do you have them trained. lol "T" :)
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2002
1:51 AM

Post #293427

Poppysue...that is terrible! why are they illegal in Maine? If I get babies this year I will gladly mail you some...I'm sure I can find out how to mail them!

And goldfish too? What is going on up there?
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2002
1:55 AM

Post #293431

Sledder...Thanks, but I guess as I snapped the picture they were going in the right direction...LOL

Can you train them to do things?
azsteve905
New Albany, MS
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2002
3:29 PM

Post #294740

I am beginning to wonder how many ponders are out there. LOL.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2002
1:35 AM

Post #299624

Okay...azsteve905...no more wonders! There is many ponders there!
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2002
2:13 AM

Post #299657

your water is so clear!!!!
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2002
3:39 PM

Post #300040

Mings... I fought for a month to clear my water and finally bought a real boi filter @ 300 bucks and it helps alot too!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2002
11:31 PM

Post #301110

I just bought some fish a few hours ago. I did price the Koi and kept on walking! LOL The ones I was in love with were one hundred bucks a piece and they had smaller ones for fifty bucks. Guess I won't be getting any of those for a LONG time. LOL
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2002
1:26 AM

Post #301176

Badseed...I know what you mean! I lost about 10 koi babies from last year trying to get my water clear and parasites too...I went to the pet shop and asked about price of baby koi about 3 inches long and the lady said 8.00 and I almost croaked!

I did pay 50.00 for the orange one 4 yrs ago and am glad I did as for the others I paid a small price for them at Walmart I paid like 4.47 for some! You can check there for cheap koi!

But beware of Walmart fish for they sometimes have diseases and you should quarantine them for awhile!
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2002
1:37 AM

Post #301189

last weekend I took OUT my filter. I just have my parrots feather covering 75% of the water. I shut down the waterfall. I have seen my fish now for the past 4 days. I have never EVER had such clear water since I got rid of the filter. lol.My pond is 125 gallon . Its small. Wonder how long this will work for.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2002
1:42 AM

Post #304678

Mings...you still need to filter your water to take out nitrites and ammonia!

Do you mean you have no filter?
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2002
1:46 AM

Post #304684

? really? My friends pond has none and she has always done it with out. She is teh one that got me to try this this way. Its only been 10 days. I still have all my stuff. I just never had clear water before now. All the ponds in the world have none too.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2002
1:52 AM

Post #304690

Well we all learn as we go and I hope it works out for you and am happy you have clear water now...

Let me know how it goes in the long run! I may try it too!
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2002
12:17 PM

Post #304979

so far its great! Will keep ya posted. Time will tell I guess. Just added a water lettuce yesterday.
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2002
8:09 PM

Post #307629

Seedpicker your fish could hardly turn around in my little container. *LOL* My neighbor has a 125 gallon pond & the water was awful. One of the ponders in DG told me how to make a filter so she made one like it also & in just a few hours her water was clear. I don't know how big a pond it would work in. It is just a Rubbermaid shoe box type (mine is a round food container) Put holes in it & put netting around the pump.. so far both our ponds are very clear.
Sugar
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2002
8:34 PM

Post #307650

Sugar...when we built the pond I balked at the prices of filters and we decided we could make one cheap so we had made a filter out of those 20 gallon rubbermaid storage boxes with a lid stuffed it with pillow batting and it worked good for a couple yrs then last year we began having trouble with the water quality and this year lost some fish before I bought the new filter...I figure it will save me lots of money in the long not buying the pillow batting! LOL
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2002
8:44 PM

Post #307658

seedpicker.. we are using the .59 netting like crinoline slips are made out of.. no more than we need it can be hosed off & sooner or later replaced. If we start having problems we can get something else. We have to work on a shoestring & still try to do what is best for fish & plants.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2002
11:44 PM

Post #307773

Last year, we used a mesh basket and buried the pump in lava rocks we'd rinsed well. The little craters give them a lot of surface area on which the beneficial bacteria may colonize. The only bad thing is, it's a pain to get to the pump when you need to; the basket of rocks is heavy and you have to lift the whole thing out of the water to do maintenance on the pump since it's buried. I like that tulle/netting idea a lot better!! Plus if any fish want to go to prom, they have some nice material. ;)

This year when we had to get a new pump, we bought a little add-on filter with two multi-celled filters you can remove to clean. It does its job, but almost too well -- We had to remove the filters and rinse them every day or two for a while, but now the pond has cleared enough that's no longer necessary. Whew!
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2002
1:34 AM

Post #307832

GW...I know how you felt! We are still in the stage of cleaning filter often and it is a headache but should level off soon!

Sugar...just to let you know! When you use the hose with the chlorine water it will kill the good bacteria for your filter as I have learned! Fill a bucket and put declorinator in water and then rinse or you may run into trouble as I did after awhile!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2002
1:43 AM

Post #307842

You can also take a bucketfull of your pond water and rinse your filter in that. Then topping off the displaced pondwater with tapwater won't hurt it. That's what was recommended with acquarium filters, and we just carried that out to the outdoor fish. :)
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2002
1:48 AM

Post #307845

GW...you are so right!!! We have done that too but sometimes I get lazy! LOL! It is hard work keeping up a big pond! Whew...sometimes I dream about things happening to my pond and I go out in the middle of the nite just to check and see if all is okay!

DH says I have lost it! LOL
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2002
2:07 AM

Post #307860

During its really dirty phase I kept a 32-oz coffee can handy and just used that. It was big enough to swish around enough water for one filter, then change the water for the second filter. But you're right...It does get old!
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2002
2:59 AM

Post #307922

I love it though! I love seeing my fish swim around happily even when times get tough... I really like it when I get in to vacuum and the fish follow me around like puppies! They like excitement too! LOL
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2002
3:27 AM

Post #307945

Seedpicker & GW, We have well water..does that make any diference? I haven't cleaned
the netting yet but guess I should check it. The water is clear & would like to keep it that way. I put more rocks around it yesterday & today but it started storming so didn't get any pictures. I have no idea what plants to put around it. I have some Jewels of Opa Seedlings but don't know how big they get as I can't seem to find it on the net. Also it will have full sun till about 2 or 3 o'clock. As I said before U don't have much to choose from here.
Sugar
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2002
5:12 AM

Post #307996

I've always had city water, so I'm not much help to you there. I wonder if it has more mineral content, like iron.
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2002
12:21 PM

Post #308054

GW, Well I don't have much choice. I don't know anyone with a small pond except for the one next door & it's only a couple weeks older than ours. I know there are BIG ponds here where they have a well just to pump water into it most of the time.
There is no plants & the fish are Catfish, Brim & Bass mostly. I guess time will tell.
Sugar
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2002
7:17 PM

Post #308290

I don't mean it's bad, Sugar, I just mean it might have different levels of minerals and such in it. Everybody had well water before city water came to be, and people have been water gardening for centuries! :)
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2002
6:50 PM

Post #309743

There is additives to take out minerals and such!
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2002
10:31 PM

Post #309863

Seedpicker, SO FAR it seems OK BUT we do have a BIG problem. The water is going down so we have leak somewhere. It goes down over 1/2 way overnite. It seems to do worse at nite. I bought another muck bucket today to replace it. Found a blue one this time. I hope we don't have the same problem. We didn't put any sand in the hole but will this time.. maybe that will help. I wonder how hard it will be to get the red one up.. DH says it won't be easy. Wish I had room there for a REAL pond. We also have a new resident at nite...a frog or toad, not sure which. I heard another in the yard last nite.. wonder if it will be a pair *G* Only seen one in the pond though, SO FAR.
Sugar
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2002
10:54 PM

Post #309872

Are you sure the leak is not at your watering can? It could be slowly leaking down the spout!

We have a small one that rolls the water under the waterfall and cannot stop it! we may have to take it out and re-do it too! LOL
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2002
2:04 AM

Post #310007

Seedpicker, I put newspaper under the can & it stayed dry.. we are going to take the tubing out of the can & lay a broomhandle across the pond.. wire the tubing to that & run the flow in the middle of the pond.. that should be a good test. I hope that is the problem... not sure how we would solve that but I'm sure we could.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2002
2:09 AM

Post #310012

Hope you find out! Muck bucket could have a hole in it! Keep me posted!
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2002
2:40 AM

Post #310034

I sure will.. I hope we can get it fixed as it is the right size for my little garden. I do wish I saw the blue one 1st. The red is kinda cute I think. When I get it right I'll put some plants in.. may have to beg a few for it (for postage)*LOL*
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2002
4:55 AM

Post #310171

what's a muck bucket?
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2002
5:18 AM

Post #310180

GW it is a 20 gallon tub U see that has rope handles. I get them for $5 at the Dollar General stores. They are nice for large plants. It got it's name from farm use. Here is what my Atomica has to say about muck *G*

A moist sticky mixture, especially of mud and filth.
Moist farmyard dung; manure.
Dark fertile soil containing decaying vegetable matter.
Something filthy or disgusting.
Earth, rocks, or clay excavated in mining.

Here is a picture of mine (if it works) http://davesgarden.com/forumpics/Sugar_fl_1027050344_838.jpg I have added larger rocks to it now & want some plants but gotta find out why it is leaking & fix that or replace it.
Some here use muck buckets for watering animals. If U have never seen Atomica Check on it. It is a small FREE download.. It is very neat & useful. I'd hate to be without it. Atomica is a easy, great on line spell checker & dictionary.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2002
6:41 AM

Post #310194

Oh, okay - I've got it! I know what you're talking about. I have MANY of those, LOL. I got them when our local Odd Lots store moved to a new location and clearanced out the store. I got 20 of them, I think, for 50-cents each! Most I drilled holes in for temporary planters (we were getting ready to move). They're great, yes! My mom has a water garden in one, too...I'll have to find that picture and put it in my journal.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America