Photo by Melody

Perennials: Can I divide daylilies in the spring?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 1, Views: 261
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

April 18, 2001
8:14 PM

Post #3786

I didn't divide my daylilies last year, and as thye are coming up this year I am noticing how crowded the poor things are. Will I hurt them if I divide them in a couple of weeks (when the ground is completely thawed)? I am new to my garden - it came with the house we bought last year, but I was pregnant all last summer so I didn't get much done - and I have tons of daylilies and they all are in need of division.
Thanks
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2001
8:23 PM

Post #68852

Cedar,
I'm not an expert - but I divided mine in the spring for the same reason as you want to divide them, and not only did they survive, but they bloomed like crazy - just getting a little more room seemed to give them great incentive. I've found, if you are careful and water water water, you can move most anything any time. It's not always what you SHOULD DO WHEN, but what you CAN DO NOW. Most plants are pretty forgiving, with a little care.
Kathleen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America