Propagation: Growing Catalpa and Empress trees

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Has anyone ever tried going the catalpa tree from seed? I would love to find seed of this tree too. How about the empress tree too? I have started the mimosa tree from seed, my uncle sent me seed from his tree in Oklahoma and I'm in Oregon. I had wonderful germination. Is it best to plant these tree seeds right after harvest or wait?

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

The freshness of the seed will increase the germination rate.
I do have seeds of both trees
cristina

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Does either of you know whether you need two trees to get viable seeds? I have one tree and don't know if there's another anywhere in the surounding hills. And yet I don't have any seedlings under my tree in the 30 years it's been there. It does produce beans (seed pods) with slim, papery things that I think are the seeds inside. I haven't tried starting them indoors ~ think that's the trick? Thanks y'all!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Cristina, what can I trade you for some seed, I would love it. You know I just do not know if you need to have two trees for seed, I know a holly is that way. My mimosa seed I think came from where there was only one tree but he had other trees come up often too in the yard.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Lenjo,
I have seed and plants of the catalpa tree if you are interested.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 8th 1:32 PM

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

I started some seeds from the Indian bean tree,which one is it?and what the difference between the 2? And lenjo,they started really easy......

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I have some Catalpa seeds I collected in Luxemburg, anybody want them? They are C. bignonioides.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Crestedchick, I think that they are the same. Indian Bean and the Catalpa tree.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Sorry, I haven't been around here for some days .
Yes CC, Indian Bean Tree and Catalpa are differents name for the same tree. It is calles also Cigar tree because of the seed pods
None of the trees needs another tree, but they do need pollinators , so perhaps bees or flies need to do a better job.....
It is very rare that a tree is not fertile, but could be the case.
cristina

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Oops ! I forgot to add that the pod is a long edible bean, that it is too starchy for human but, there is a multitude of birds that store them as winter food.

cristina

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Cristina! I'll keep trying, then.

I want to know are catalpa trees dast growers? I am a very new gardner and I was just given a catalpa tree for shade. I live in Southern California, in the Hemet area

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Friar401, Yes they do grow fast. I would keep it watered well and it should make a beautiful shade tree for you. The large cluster of blooms are a nice bonus.

Binghamton, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi. As the "owner" of a 90-year-old catalpa tree, I would advise you to plant your tree far away from your house. A mature catalpa is a huge tree. It drops stuff all year round, flowers in the spring (makes the sidewalk slippery), giant leaves in the fall (clogs the gutters rapidly) and bean pods and small branches & twigs constantly. The bean pods stay on the tree and do not fall off in a predictable manner like the leaves in autumn. Also, a mature catalpa will shade the lawn and sucks up most of the ground water so it's difficult to grow grass or most any plant beneath. Our tree looks cool and is a neighborhood landmark, but it's a high maintenance individual.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Lenjo,
This is the Empress Tree. The ends of the branches had what looks like seed but are the blooms that will open in the spring.

Thumbnail by busybee
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Maybe you can see next years blooms better here. They will stay on the tree all winter then open in the spring. I found this very odd.

Thumbnail by busybee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images