Left-over bulbs

(Zone 5b)

Hi, everyone. I'm new, so forgive me if I'm not posting this in the right place.

I live in New England, zone 5b. I moved into a new house last fall and didn't finish planting all my spring flowering bulbs before things froze up (early). The left-over bulbs have been in an uninsulated garage all winter; temps in there for most of the season were in the 30s to 40s.

The bulbs looks healthy and have small shoots emerging. What will happen if I plant them now? Is there a chance they may produce flowers this year? Should I plant them now but not expect anything until spring a year from now?

Or should I just discard them? :-(

Thank you.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

If your ground isn't frozen, and you can dig enough to plant them, I'd go ahead - or put them in containers for this spring, and plant them after they finish blooming (or leafing out, or whatever they do this year.)

In the south, we don' always get enough of a chill for bulbs to perform well, so I've often overwintered mine in the refrigerator until late winter, and then planted them.

I sure wouldn't discard them, especially if they're putting on some growth - it's worth a shot to see what they'll do!

(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Volunteers fan. :-) I did just that yesterday--discarded any that showed signs of mold or mushiness and planted the others. We'll see! Some had good growth. If nothing else, perhaps I'll have some nice green leaves this year in an area that would otherwise be bare. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images