Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I planted a package of mixed annuals all in one spot, and this surprised me this a/m now....is it a poppy? or what??
Thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE

Yes looks like Papaver rhoeas one of the Shirley cultivars although Poppysue will be better placed to say exactly what this one is than me.

My computer struggeled with the image, did anyone else have that trouble?

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Yea Baa, The image is a little large isn't it?! LOL Don't have a clue as to how to fix that part eaither Sorry!
I would fix it...but I am clueless lol Hopefully someone can still ID it without having to inlarge the image.

I just always thought that poppies had a black center, that is why I wasn't sure if this was even a poppy or not..the foilage is the same I think, but I'll still take any suggestions you all have.

The Rev. Wilks who seletively bred the Shirley Poppy noticed a poppy (p. rhoeas) without the black base makes and with a white edge. Proper Shirley Poppies do not have black marks on the petals hence my deduction.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Baa, This is my first poppy ever, and I just had to be sure. Now I can finally say I grew a poppy from seed hee hee
Thanks again

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Baa. It is surely a Shirley.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Cool !!! Thanks ya'll

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images