Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Is this Bloodroot?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tree_Climber
Brown City, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2001
11:12 PM

Post #3840

The book I have does not show the leaf very well, but I think this is Bloodroot. Does anyone know for sure?

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

April 20, 2001
12:27 AM

Post #69167

Yes, it is bloodroot!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2001
1:04 AM

Post #69176

definitely
Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

April 20, 2001
2:43 AM

Post #69198

Definitely bloodroot. The plant blooms on top of the unfurled leaves. Always the first plant to bloom in my shade bed.
Patty

April 20, 2001
2:52 AM

Post #69201

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
Tree_Climber
Brown City, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2001
12:10 PM

Post #69231

Happy Gardner,
Since you have this in your Shade Garden maybe you can give me some advice. I would like to start a shade garden up by the house with plants from the woods.
Will Bloodroot transplant easily? If so, how much should I move to have a nice "bunch". (Does it spread a lot so just a couple will do?)
Grateful for your help,
Kathy
tishtash
La Porte, IN
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2001
3:30 AM

Post #69779

Patty,
What zone are you in? In zone 5 right now Rue anemone and false rue anemone are blooming. The flowers are similar to bloodroot, only much smaller. The foliage is deeply serrated, they spread freely. Hope this helps, tish
Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

April 25, 2001
3:04 AM

Post #70648

My bloodroot transplanted easily. My shade bed is clay and very wet due to an underground stream. My bloodroot has not spread a lot and I am sure this is due to the clay. When I put a woodland plant into the bed I dig a hole the size I want the plant to fill in. Then I fill the hole with rich compost before I plant. I think the bloodroot would spread a lot if planted in the right place. The blooms come quickly and disappear just as quick. I would put in a clump about the size of a dinner plate. If you are doing more than one clump, I would probably make the clumps smaller. Maybe the size of a bread plate.

I enjoy my plants because they are always the first blooms each spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America