Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: yet another question

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 156
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2001
2:24 AM

Post #3850

I recieved red cypress vine(seeds) and Cardinal Climber seeds also. I have read somewhere that they are one in the same, well in looking at the seeds the red cypress vine seeds look like mouse droppings LOL they really do, But the Cardnial climber seeds don't look the same at all. they are somewhat bigger and not even the same shape. I started the seeds in peat pots keeping them separate now that they are coming up...they are no where near the same the Cardinal climber seedlings look well almost a dead brown color not green like I thought they should be,but they are very much alive and growing with long skinny sucker leaves. the Red Cypress seedlings are more of a split leaf ummm kinda like a morning glory seedling. Any clue as to what I really have here??? I need your help
mollybee
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2001
2:32 PM

Post #69266

they are different plants..I have both growing here.
cardinal climber-ipomea x multifida
i cant find info on cypress vine-maybe in parks seed catalog.

I have both seeds thanks for the offer.
I have a couple white cypress vines started also.

This message was edited Friday, Apr 20th 11:29 AM
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2001
3:16 PM

Post #69277

Are you looking for the cypree vine (red)? I have a few extra's if you want to make a trade e/mail me you have list and I'll trade with you.
mollybee
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2001
6:02 PM

Post #70261

Cypress vine is Ipomoea quamoclit. There are three or four different species that are very hard to tell apart from descriptions, but very easy when grown side by side. The cypress vine has very finely cut, almost ferny. leaves, the others have either a leaf like amorning glory only notched, or a leaf that looks like a hand and fingers. There is some variation in flower color, too---the ferny-leafed one has a rose-red flower, the one with the MG leaf has a red with an orange cast, and the hand-with-fingers is a true red.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2001
6:52 PM

Post #70281

Judith, Thanks SOO much I think I totally understand the difference now. I plan on planting these seeds on a chain link fence I think they are going to be beautiful.
Thanks Again
mollybee

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America