Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Another mystery ...

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 203
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2001
9:33 AM

Post #3859

The first year we moved here there was a huge pine tree in this spot. After it was blown down in a storm (landed on the roof ) These sticks with leaves sprouted up, I kept cutting them to the ground for a couple of years but this year ot formed flower buds and I got one very lovely yellow blossom befor it frosted and no more blossoms came out. Now it has started leafing out. Does anyone have any ideea what it might be?

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2001
10:16 AM

Post #69223

It very well could be forsythia (but I don't know who Sythia is, so you can keep it!).
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2001
3:59 PM

Post #69290

Do you think so? I have seen pictures of

forsythia but they are too small to see what the individual leaves and flowers look like. I think I will let it grow this year and see what happens.
bert
ehrikon
Switzerland
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2001
6:58 PM

Post #69332

forsythia for sure.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2001
8:44 PM

Post #69376

Don't cut it back this year - forsythia blossom on second and third year wood. When you do prune wait until just after it blossoms, the buds for next year form during the summer. Let us see it next spring - all yellow and gorgeously sunny.
weebus
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2001
5:14 AM

Post #69484

YEP! Forsythia. Now it's up to you to find out which strain :-}
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2001
7:22 AM

Post #69512

Thanks all! I will leave the poor thing alone and see what next year brings! In the meantime I guess I better learn a little about Forsythia! I think it gets bretty large so need to decide if it stays put or if I should try to move it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America