how to grow zinnias

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

First, get lots of seed packs from eyes.
Put in box with plants in back of truck.
Load the truck with tons of plants.
Water the plants in truck very well for long drive.
A week later, look in box and see little sprouts coming out of seed packs. oops!
Take them out just on chance, sprinkle over soil, cover lightly and water.
Poof! easiest thing I've ever grown!! LOL!!

Thumbnail by tiG
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

LOL.........you do have a way of making it easy, tiG!! I told y'all these take off like a rocket ship. Now remember they grow to 3 1/2 to 4 ft. tall, so you might want to get them in the ground soon, and you will be enjoying them up until the first of October!!

"eyes"

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm hoping for a bit of rain, and I'll be out there sticking them in the ground in it if I have to. Thanks so much, I needed these to fill in where other things haven't done well.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

You're mighty welcome.............they're a favorite standby of mine as well.

"eyes"

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

tiG,

That is amusing. You may have the greenest thumb of all of us.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I still have a kazillion of these seeds if anyone else needs some............sure makes a nice new debut when everything else is tuckered out in the fall, if planted now!!

"eyes"

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

That is so funny, tiG! What a sense of humor you have!

Eyes, can all zinnias be planted at this late stage. If so, I have some seeds I can throw out there. LMK Thanks!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

They sure can GL, keep 'em watered really well until they get about 6-8 inches tall, then water as usual, and you will have zinnias up until frost. Gives you bouquets of color when everything else is fizzling out!

"eyes"

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

thanks - i got them planted this morning, right before rain!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I kept seeing this thread and was trying to remember when TiG gave a demo on seed planting!! TiG and Badseed have to be the seed starting queens!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Not too mention, how viable all these seeds were!! I gathered 'em with my own little two hands.

"eyes"

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

How long from sowing to bloom, Eyes? Here in Ohio we get frost as early as September - would it be worth it to put some in a window box at this point?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

eyes, I got them in the ground yesterday, some are already 2" tall!!!!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

They really grow much faster with the heat of July, than when you plant them in April.........enjoy!!!

"eyes"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images