Journal-Jan11,2001

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

A very rainy good morning to all! Rain, rain, and more rain here this morning. The temp. is about 60*. Looks like I'm inside bound for today. (yuck) Housework! Ya'll have a good day. I have to go trudge through the rain and let out the geese & feed critters! Bye, Lisa

20* but there isn't a cloud in the sky. The sun is just starting to peek over the mountains to the east.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

suppose to hit 35 here today-snow is melting slowly! im going to start some more seed flats today. We have a wrestling tourny tonight at school!!!

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

It's raining here - rain which we need desperately. Going to set out more seed flats today. I wonder if I should transplant seedlings when they have 2 leaves (their food), or wait until they grow more leaves?
Grits

I took a picture of the sunset today:

http://whitinger.net/sunsettoday.jpg

It is like this almost every day.

Dave

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Grits, the 2 leaves you are seeing are not "true leaves". They are called the cotyledons or seed leaves. The seedlings should be transplanted when the first true leaves appear, right above the cotyledon leaves. Hope this helps! Lisa

Good morning all. It's 28 with an expected high of 58, I can't wait! A far cry from the brief snow fall we had the other day. The chickens didn't know what to make of all that **white stuff** falling from the heavens. So they went back inside. Ureka! Now I know why they're called "chicken". LOL! I have many projects that I'd like to get started on but don't know where to start.... Y'all have a great day! :-) Tom

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Lisa - I knew the master gardener in you wouldn't let that one pass. * chuckle *
Grits

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Morning All,
Nice picture, Dave! The weather is supposed to be a bit milder today so I hope to get some things done outside. I have some does that are ready to kindle so I have my eye on them. My newer chocolate Netherland Dwarf was bred again and I hope she can carry her first litter through weaning. She has had 2 litters before and the maternal instinct just didn't kick in. Early this morning I went to check up on the bunnies and I had 2 bucks just showing off for me..lol. The Mini Lop buck and the New Zealand buck were both jumping on all fours and rolling over like dogs! It was fun to watch them for awhile and they soaked it all in. Our German Shepherd whines for me to throw her the ice chunks from the bunny crocks. What a crew I have here - he he :)
Have a great day, everyone!
Trish

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good morning. It is still morning in the Pacific time zone. It's snowing here, but looks like it may change to rain before long. I got wet doing the chores this morning so I know there is a lot of moisture in it even tho is looks like snow. We have about 3 or 4 inches on the ground, some old, some new, with ice under some of it. Makes walking carrying buckets or hay exciting! Boomer the mule colt is getting a little more friendly since I moved his mom to the upper pasture where he can't see her so much. She eats out of his view, and the geldings eat at the top of the hill near the house so he is feeling a bit more lonesome down in the corral by the garden and is glad to have company. I try to pet the dry places under his chin, neck and chest. No fun for either of us to pet a wet critter. Yesterday when it got light hubby spotted one of my horses caught in the fence. Thankfully this one was trained by somebody just to stand when he gets into the wire, so didn't hurt himself much. He didn't even pull hard enough to pop off the clip that holds the wire onto the t-post which was on his side of the fence. I checked out Dave's sunset picture. Very pretty. God is such an artist! We enjoy those scenes here too, this is the first place we have been with a view of both the sunrise and sunset, and we get some pretty ones with snowy mountains turning pink. Guess I need one of those digital cameras (and some more computer savvy so I can show them to you). Everybody enjoy the day.

Sunset? Oops - I meant to say sunrise. The picture above is the sunrise this morning - I mis-typed.

dave

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The pictures are beautiful, Dave. How far are you from Memphis? One of ours sons works at a refinery there.
It's lovely here. The snow is melting rapidly, etc. The cats and dogs don't think much of my idea that they need fresh air and room to run outside. They much prefer to stay inside and look out thru the window even tho they are going stir crazy.
Isn't it a bit early to be setting seeds, folk? Here I don't start until at least mid February. Earlier than that and we have weak leggy plants come planting time.
I will be glad to see spring, but am enjoying some down time from the garden. Consuming the fruits of our labors is so rewarding.
No deer so far from the extended hunting season. We know a couple people who want one, so it would be nice to have some. We've done several so far this year. Oh well, if the hunters don't get any there is always the chance of finding a road kill that can be salvaged.
Have a wonderful day all.

leaflady, I'm 370 miles from Memphis. Tennessee is larger than one would think. ;-)

Batchelor, LA(Zone 8b)

Bon Jour Lisa!
I am finally here. Had equipment problems and Dave walked me through the cure.
I just love the new accommadations, even smells better.
Bud

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Nice pic Dave...lately I've been checking out the full moon! It was shining one nite and was brighter outside than it was here in the house, just had to go check it out! Sometimes I've referred to it as a "noisy moon", it seems to distract me, and a "Nosey moon", like it is just dying to peep in my windows more and more and more.
MaryE, I envy you and Boomer...I've always wanted a mule. Altho I am on ten acres and sometimes still think of getting one I wonder if there is room here (other than a two acre garden and our immediate surroundings the rest of the land is wooded). shucks! (course now, have been thinking of giving up some of the garden...wonder how much pasture a mule would enjoy.) Eva, whoops, Leaflady, sure wish I could drive up your way and get me one of them deers...my dd is disappointed we don't have any in the freezer, our season ended Jan 2nd. Ya'll take good care, smile.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Bonjour Bud! Cah-mon sah vah? Sah vah bien, mon amis! So good to "see" you! The gang's (almost) all here. I am glad you came! Missed ya'...Lisa . Now if only Wendy & Kjo would come see us!! Miss them gals!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Good evening everyone!

I enjoyed the pic Dave. I loved the one in the other forum of your old barn too. I see there are some folks from Louisana here. A couple years ago I contacted a Daylily farm there and wanted a plant from them, but couldn't afford the $150 at the time. I have now forgot the name of the nursery. Would any of you happen to know the name of a nursery in Louisana that specializes in daylilies?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Wow Loon, what were those daylilies made of...gold ;-)??? Do you remember what town it was in? The reason I ask is because I have a list of many nursery/growers in Louisiana. I will look in it. You can email me or just answer me here. Bye! Lisa

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Loon: There is a daylily farm near Lake Charles - Oleo Acres, or somthing like that. "Met" them on the LA Gardening forum. Was considering going down there, but not at that price. I have many, many named daylilies, but as usual would like to have more, but not for those $$$'s.
Grits

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I do not remember the name of the town, just that it was in Louisana. I do think the name Louisana was in the name of the nursery.

The daylily I fell in love with was called Marjorie Ann. It was like Stell d Oro in that it blooms for 5 straight months and was short, but it had pink blooms instead of yellow. I want it soooooo bad. It was funny because I read about Marjory Ann in my Horticulture magazine and that is where I found the name of the nursery. With credit card in hand I called and this nice gentleman with a southern drawl said yes they still had Marjory Ann available. I said how much are they and he just said "one fify" . I'm thinking how cheap! A dollar and fifty cents! I said I'll take 5 and just as I was fixing to give him my credit card numbers he told me that is One hundred fifty dollars. I almost fell off my chair! I said I couldn't really afford it and asked when it would get cheaper and he said in 5 or 6 years usually. Well, it's been a few years and I thought I'd try again and see how much she is now. Daylilys multiply so fast that I think I can recoop my cost by selling off pieces of it to my garden club girlfriends. So, if any of you happen to know who in Louisana specialized in daylilies let me know. I think they also specialized in some other varieties but I can't remember now what. I do know they charged at least $5 for their catalog.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images