Welcome to the new forum!

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

What goes with gardening better than crafting? This forum is for all of us crafters to get together and share ideas, projects, laughs, and if you are like me, a mishap every now and then :) My true passions (besides my kids) are decorating and crafting. A few others have also mentioned that they would like a place to craft-chat, so Dave set this up for us. I hope you are just as excited about this as I am.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me about it. I'll be your hostess on this forum.

Happy crafting!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

WOW! this is going to be fun...My crafts are cross-stitching, Pansaky (Ukrainian Egg Art), Re-doing old furniture and old window pains. Bye, Lisa

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I really dont have time for crafts-but i did make a butterflyhouse-that counts right! lol
this isnt a craft-but i made a big spiderweb out of bindertwine i took these little screws that are a circle on the top and screwed them into the side of the garage and then ran the twine from one screw to the next in a web pattern....the climbing vines luved it! i have to make a spider yet-any suggestions?

How about taking an old golf ball black, and then drill 8 little holes where the legs go.

Then, clip pieces of old wire coat hanger to size, bend them like spider legs, and insert into the holes.

Spray paint black. You can even then use other color paintpens to add features (eyes, red spot for the black widow, etc).

Would it work?

Dave

Dave- brave man, venturing into the craft forum :) Can you tell that he hears about crafty stuff all the time?!

Notmartha- maybe easier than the golf ball would be the sterifom balls and pipe cleaners. Or, if you don't like pipe cleaners, do crinkeled paper for the legs. pom-poms for the eyes (or the wiggle eyes), felt for the widow mark. Let us know what you do!

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Trish and everyone,
Nice topic...I hope to learn and share lots! My crafts are more reusing discarded things. Lisa, I like your resuse of the window panes. I've seen some done that are so countryish and beautiful, just out of simplicity. I'll be going out to Amish country in a few weeks to get some old windows but they are for making a cold frame here.
My number one craft project is to make a 3-D lawn yard sheep! There is an Amish man who makes them and they are quite real-looking. However, I really am aiming to try this myself.
Maybe I'll try to make those wood spinners, as well.

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Now you've really gone and done it Dave!!! I love this place! Thanks a million!

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

notmartha, For the spider that Dave suggested - instead of the golf ball look for a wooden ball at the craft store. It would be much easier to drill holes for the wire legs - be sure to hold it in a vice or clamp when drilling. With outdoor paint it should hold up well.

Or for a really large spider, you might try cutting multiple circles out of 1" pine board, with each circle slightly smaller.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Trish,

Thanks for hostessing this topic. I'm eager to learn new things. I especially like to learn how to do things by recycling what I already have. I'd love to learn how to make the man out of clay pots. I'd also like the poem that goes with him if anyone has that. I saw it once on a garden walk and it was so cute and a good way to put to good use all the clay pots sitting in the garage.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

Cool new forum! I love reading all this stuff. I thought making wreaths was fun, but just look at all the suggestions for ways to make a big spider - I think this forum will be a hit! Great to 'see' you here Trish :)

Thanks, girls- I'm so excited about this form! Our inside and outside will be the best on the net :)
Being me, I just couldn't stand by and watch from the sidelines- LOL! I had to get involved too!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Have mercy! Okay folks, ya'll got me a-thankin' now...just from hearing about the spider this here is what I see...picture this...
An 8 foot gutter downspout (with the L-shaped run-off thingy attached to the bottom) standing straight up in one of the gardens. This has a "invisible" piece of pipe pounded into the ground and running up the inside so it looks like the downspout is standing there of it's own volition. A small bucket or galvanized tub sits at the base to collect the water, and a small pond pump (or aquarium pump is hidden in the tub and the hose is run up the downspout...This will give the effect of water coming from no-where and running into the tub (actually it'll be the same water running over and over). THEN, a spider, made like mentioned above lurking somewhere on the downspout! Not only great art but just think how many of us will just automatically starting humming,"The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout...." Hmmm...just may have to try this to go with some of my other lawn ornaments myself!

Legal, AB(Zone 3a)

I've painted flowers and foliage (hosta) on rocks and put them under my spruce trees inside my rock garden bed, now I have color even if nothing grows!! My neighbours think they're real when they walk by and take a glance my way!! I've also made mini willow furniture and instead of putting seats on the chairs I've put small planter boxes, I'm going to put moss on my bench, I've also would like to make lots of different kinds of birdhouses so my kids can paint them and we can attract birds but I don't have any patterns...any ideas???

Legal, AB(Zone 3a)

horseshoe that sounds fantastic, build me one!! lol maybe I'll make one on the side of my little (half) greenhouse!!

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm a real newbie here - less than a week, but let me tell you I think this site is great! My two favorite hobbies are gardening and crafting so this site and this forum are perfect for me. As far as gardening crafts go, I love growing plants that can be dried or pressed for making such things as soaps, potporri, tea, bath and skin care products etc. I also make stained glass garden art (my specialty is stained glass butterflies - my siter and I made some for ourselves on vacation a year ago and after other people saw them and wanted some, we couldn't make them fast enough) This winter I even made my first stepping stone using a stained glass design in cement. My only problem is too many crafts and too little time. If anyone wants any info on any of the above crafting projects, let me know and I'll be happy to share some of my experience with you.

(Zone 5A)

Ooooh, Dave's place just keeps getting better and better.

I've just recently started in paper arts and there are great ideas for using garden stuff in crafts. Carol Duval had a guest this week that made "pounded flower paper". Turned out great and looks like a good stress-reliever! I'm planning to learn how to make hand made paper this summer - using plant materials. Just knew there had to be a use for some of those uncompostable weeds!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Would this be the proper forum for jewelry making threads? Or Artisans?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images