Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: Water Garden Today

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 22, Views: 312
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2002
9:53 PM

Post #35730

Well, here are a few shots of the water garden earlier today. It still needs a lot of work, but I did get most of the ground levelled out and have added many plants around the outside and have more to add. Thanks to Vic, I now have some water plants, but they were not in when I took the picture. :) We also added five fish today-two Shabunkin, one albino catfish, one black moor (love those bubble eyed fish!) and I forget what the last one is, but it is the one the two year old picked and has named Rosie. LMBO I also splurged $4.50 for a water hyacinth. Now, I need to go borrow some more rocks. Anybody got water plants to trade for land plants???? Please...

Thumbnail by Badseed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2002
11:18 PM

Post #301099

Wow you have done allot of work it looks great.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2002
11:29 PM

Post #301108

Well thank you Peggy! We just went out and fed the fish and I stuck a few more plants in that are technically marginals, I guess. LOL I also measured. It is actually 13x8. Guess I did more digging than I thought. :)
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2002
1:33 AM

Post #301187

Badseed...I can send you some elephant ear bulbs that will grow in water and get big! I will have some yellow iris seed soon too!

Just let me know!

Looking good and it's alot of hard work too!

Cheers,
Rebecca
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2002
3:39 AM

Post #301309

that's a big pond Michele. Anytime you want to dig more, come for a visit.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2002
3:57 AM

Post #301325

LOL I've seen your yard Cala! What bed are you going to take out? ha ha ha
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2002
4:34 AM

Post #301349

I have pink, yellow and white water lilies, zebra rush, arum and a couple of other things if you could send postage. lmk
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2002
5:00 AM

Post #301360

tiG, that would be awesome! Can you E me about how much postage you would need? Are you sure you don't want any plants??
Rebecca, do you mean regular elephant ears? I have some of the plain greens ones but have heard mixed opinions about putting them in the water. Let me know about your experience with them. I just don't want to rot any. LOL
vic

July 13, 2002
12:34 PM

Post #301458

You just blow me away...I can't believe you did this all by yourself. WoW...you are my hero! You go girl!
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2002
1:53 PM

Post #301506

I wish I could share some plants. Drat. I'm still fighting alittle string algae and you sure don't want that. You've done a fantastic job on it. You should be very proud. The girls will love it. So, how's the frogs? Are they moving in? "T" :)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2002
2:13 PM

Post #301519

I tell you, that's a great looking project you have going. It's as big as a swimming pool!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2002
4:14 PM

Post #301598

It was actually a lot of fun doing this. The kids have wanted one badly and I just couldn't decide where to put it, and didn't think I had the money to do it. I bought the liner for $30 and the rest is sweat equity. LOL At some point, I need to put in a real pond liner, but for now this is serving it's purpose. We have little froggies everywhere. I spent more on five fish and a water hyacinth than the liner. LOL Most of the plants around it, are coming from other places in the yard and I also got some plants really cheap at the grocery the other day. Got there just as they were making them half off. I got nine perennials for 99 cents each and a few more daylilies for four bucks. It is coming together. Now I need to drag myself back up that cliff for more rocks. LOL Thanks for the compliments. I am happiest working outside. :)
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2002
4:21 PM

Post #301605

Looking fantastic, Michele!! Next year you will be rewarded more greatly than you ever imagined!!

"eyes"
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2002
4:27 PM

Post #301612

Am I going to have another baby? LOL
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2002
4:41 PM

Post #301620

Well, how should I know??????? We will try to get you some babies that grow out in the garden...the rest is up to YOU!!!!!!!

"eyes"
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2002
8:33 PM

Post #301773

Giggle!!!
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2002
9:43 PM

Post #301810

Badseed...the ee will grow in water and not rot! All you have to put in is rocks to hold them down in pot...I have them in my pond and they are gorgeous!

Let me know!
Rebecca
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2002
3:23 AM

Post #302125

Great location!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2002
8:37 PM

Post #303619

Nice job! You should be getting a box from me in a day or so with some goodies to add to your collection - holler if you need help deciphering my scrawl...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2002
1:41 PM

Post #306800

I did go ahead and pot up a few of my smaller elephant ears and put them in the water garden. :) I also got a box of plants from GV. THANKS GV!! I have been adding a few plants here and there when I can and moved a big Willow over there too (planted in the bottom half of a garbage can so the roots won't go nuts). It is a bunch of subtle changes, but it is coming together. I still need to go get more rocks, but with my heart problem, I have been taking it easy for now. I also need to do some tilling to shape up the area. I think I am going to mulch a path around the outside, build a small bench beside the water garden and find the biggest rock I can for the kids-the want a special rock to stand on and feed the fish. LOL I am really glad we did this. :)
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2002
1:57 PM

Post #306806

Badseed, there you are. Are you okay??? MaMa "T" :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2002
6:36 PM

Post #307596

Hi Miss T! I am doing okay. Just doing my best to keep stress levels to a minimum and doing a lot of work outside. It is hard work but it keeps me calm. :) I have an appt. with the cardiologist on Tuesday. For now I am on meds to keep my heart beating normal, and another med to keep me calm and another med as an antacid. LOL Guess I was just jealous of hubby's medicine cabinet. Giggle.
The water garden has been a GREAT distraction! Vic and GV sent me some water plants and today I got a box from Mystic too (water and land plants). It is so great to have all this to keep me busy. I tilled the lower veggie bed today and am going to let the kids go through my seeds and plant whatever they want! I made a big list of things that bloom fast and am going to let them go have fun. :)
Love ya! Thanks for caring.
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2002
7:38 PM

Post #308305

I've been praying for you hard my dear. Don't scare me like that. You're one of the few people I know that tills with a heart condition. Can't accuse you of sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. You've got my respect!! And by the way, you have mail. Take care of yourself. ((hug)) MaMa "T" :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America