Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Big old bad-butt beetle

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 15, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2002
4:32 AM

Post #35883

What is this huge thing? Glad it was dead when I saw it and not crawling on me!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2002
4:51 AM

Post #302176

Don't know what it is, but it gives me the willeys just thinking about it getting on me!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2002
6:06 AM

Post #302192

BTW, that's my thumb, not some (relatively) skinny little finger there!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2002
6:16 AM

Post #302196

if not mistaken, i think it is a water bug. they frequent areas close to water source. they multiply fast too!

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2002
7:36 AM

Post #302241

Well, he probably was washed out of the shallow container in which I have some bog plants sitting. I dumped some water when scooting it over with my foot and had to refill it. Big thing, isn't it?!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2002
7:52 AM

Post #302253

they sure are. bugs gives me the creeps, Yikes!!! check this url ... http://www.zoo.org/educate/fact_sheets/waterbug/waterbug.htm , http://www.insects.org/entophiles/hemiptera/hemi_005.html

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2002
7:54 AM

Post #302256

Oh, you know, I don't think that's what this late fellow was. He was definitely some type of beetle, and though my picture of his top doesn't show his head very well, he had kind of chunky antennae.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2002
8:04 AM

Post #302259

bug's i hate and not too familiar with them or their names. the only reason why i knew about the water bug was there are some around here. maybe someone can identify them for u. good luck!

philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2002
8:08 AM

Post #302261

Looks like one of a family of beetles, some of which live in water - Hydrophilidae - described as having short, clubbed antennae.
The other possibility is one of the dung beetles. Difficult to say without seeing in the flesh, but that might be tricky...
:)
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2002
9:30 AM

Post #302273

Maybe a June Beetle? http://www.pma.edmonton.ab.ca/cgi-bin/bugsfaq.cgi?menu=catrplrs.mnu&topic=junebt.dbh Some years we'll have tons of them around here. I remember as a kid our screen door would be covered with them I would scream bloody murder when they flew in the house.
Lophophora
Tokyo
Japan

July 14, 2002
2:19 PM

Post #302357

poppysue's got it-
definately Scarabaeidae (scarabs, chafers, etc.), subfamily Melolonthinae (June beetles), and most likely a Phyllophaga judging by the color. That means white grubs, which can destroy the roots of your plants...

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/field/white_grub.htm
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2002
7:38 PM

Post #302591

But this guy is way bigger than the June bugs we normally get, though, and with a longer body. Same family, though?

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 14th 3:40 PM
Lophophora
Tokyo
Japan

July 15, 2002
12:06 PM

Post #303227

All I can say without actually examining mouth parts, antennae, genitalia, etc. is... probably maybe ;-)

About 120 species of Phyllophaga in N. America according to White (Peterson's Field Guides, The Beetles of N. America, 1983), so that could be one of them. Then again...

gardenwife - do you have a USDA office or a Natural History Museum nearby? Since Phyllophaga are an economic threat, they might actually be glad to id it for you - especially if it's not a common species (maybe it's one of those range-expanding critters that gets agriculture people nervous) Back in the late 60's, when I was in my boyhood bug phase, I actually got a visit from a USDA inspector after I showed my Japanese beetle (!!!) collection to my Natural History Museum Summer School Program instructor. Got to drive around in a government jeep one afternoon showing him where the infestations were. Hehehe - what a blast for a fifth grader! I also did some volunteer trapping work for the state in the Bay area in the late70's/early 80's when the Medfly hit town, and appreciation was very forthcoming. Entomologists are usually very nice people (not at all like the dorky stereotypes in the movies) who are more than happy to help when someone takes an interest in their speciality. Certainly most people don't...
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2002
2:23 PM

Post #303340

We've always called them Water Bugs. They are a type of beetle.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2002
12:34 AM

Post #303758

The June bugs here are about an inch long and half an inch wide. It's bigger than that?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2002
6:14 AM

Post #304085

Sure is! It was a good inch long, at least. Maybe a bit longer, counting its head, which is folded down in these pictures.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America