CLOSED: Nice or nasty??

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, I am going to say he is nasty because he and two of his friends turned my Brug leaves to swiss cheese and left behind a bunch of poo! They are about two inches long, their bodies look greenish and all the hairs are white and their heads are kind of golden colored. I would like to know what they are so I can either relocate them to the butterfly garden or show them some nice rocks. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I'm not too sure that brugs are host plants for butterflies, but he really does look like one........show him to the butterfly garden!!!

"eyes"

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't see this one in my butterfly book. It maybe some sort of moth.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks you two. I don't want to kill something worthwhile, but don't like the nasty bugger eating all the holes and leaving all the poo poo like "thanks for the meal"! LOL

Tokyo, Japan

Agreement with poppysue -

A very general rule of thumb is that moth larvae are hairy and butterfly larvae aren't. (Caveat: more exceptions to this 'rule' than in English grammer - the hawkmoths come to mind.)

If it is a moth larva, be careful handling it. Several N. American species have spines among the hairs that can cause severe reactions in people with sensitive skin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images