Well, we had a bad algae bloom this spring - a combination of weird weather, no bog filter, and the dogs deciding to munch on my water lettuce and water hyacinths. For almost two months we patiently treated it with $50+ worth of organic algae products (Microbe-lift and another brand, and a barley straw bale), got the bog filter installed and working, and still no luck with the algae problem.
I was ready to order Algae-fix when my neighbor mentioned a product available locally that was safe for fish ponds, similar to Algae-fix. So we bought a jug. The directions use surface acres as the measurement baseline (that should have been enough warning for us); after some headscratching, DH calculated we should add 9 ounces of product to the pond. Within minutes our poor fish were gasping for air. We got a few moved to the small pond, but most of them didn't make it. Which was sad, but they WERE just plain ole goldfish.
That was two weeks ago - the pond is MUCH clearer now (so something we did worked, lol.) We moved the remaining fish back, and they seemed to do okay, so we went on a "fishing expedition" today. Came home with three shubunkins, two white mosquito-eaters (can't think of their names), and a couple nice snails. (And a few more floating plants.)
Everybody seems happy in their new home, and now we have some prettily-patterned and colored fish to feed! A happy ending to a sad tale :)