Garden Crafts ~ (or messes!)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Crafts are not my specialty but I do love to make messes. I don't know how many unfinished projects I have in this house. I especially like garden crafts - I guess because I'm too cheap to pay for nice things. Anyone have any particular crafty garden projects to share? I think I may try to make some sort of candle lighting type thingies for my garden. I saw (??somewhere??) some candle holders made from cat food - tuna type cans mounted on little post to hold candles. I can't remember if they were painted, mosaic, or how they were decorated. They were really nice strategically placed to light up the garden at night. Anyone have any ideas for me or know what I'm talking about?

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Poppysue, I think that you need to put sand in the bottom of the container, both to give it stability, and to keep it from getting to hot. This is a great idea! If you were to paint it, I would coat it with polyurathane so it will keep. You could also decopauge them. I don't like to work with mosaic much- I really make a mess of that. :)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi,

So happy to see this forum topic. I love to make things for the garden when I can. I have a pussywillow tree and have used branches to make a trellis with. I actually made three separate trellis and then stuck them in the ground surrounding a cement birdbath and then pulled all three together at the top and tied them together with twine. I planted hyacinth bean seeds at the base of each and soon it was covered in this beautiful vine. The birds actually enjoyed the privacy I think. The only problem I ran into was the stupid pussywillow rooted in the ground and started to grow! Next time I do this, I would hack the ends good and maybe spray paint them so they wouldn't root and grow.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

For the garden candles, on a show on HGTV. I saw where they used quart size canning jars with about 1/3 to 1/2 full of sand then they stuck a pillar candle down into the sand. You could set these around where you want them, or like they did they took wire and wrapped it around the neck and then had three straight pieces go up from it and twisted at the top so you could hang them in trees or from trellis's, etc. Debby

(Zone 6a)

I am planning on makeing my own gazeing ball from a bowling ball I got at a yard sale. Have bought the mettalic paint and everything.. Waiting for it to warm up so I can spray it... Any ideas for a stand. I also am planning on makeing a bird bath from a tomatoe cage and a big pot saucer and grow humming bird vine on the cage. I figured that the morning glories or hyacinth beans would eat it.

I can't wait till spring........

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

for my garden candles- i put tea candles in old glass telephone pole insulators. we had blue and white ones!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

chris,
i read on that other garden site(cough)about making garden balls out of bowling balls.
1)use shinny new pennies and glue one or 2 layers(depends on how deep your pockets go)to the ball.
2)use those shinny flat marble thingz that come in different colors and sizes. (one suggestion was to do a layer of a darker color with a layer of the irredesent ones over them.
Im sure there are other thingz you could use. They said to be sure and clean the ball with alcohol(rubbing ;])first.
I have 2 bowling balls im hoping to get to b4 spring!
but now with this new forum-im seeing some copper work happening! I do have plans for a copper swirling heart sprinkler! ;]

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

I saw this on HGTV awhile back. The glazing balls in the store are so pricey, why not make it yourself. I don't have any bowling balls myself, but it's almost garage sale season again- that's where I find all my soon-to-be-treasures anyway.

I was also thinking about what kind of stand to have. There are some nice candle stands that would fit the ball, but what to do if you want it high off the ground? I'll have to ponder this for awhile....any suggestions?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

trish
ive heard of making a iron stand that goes right in to the finger holes.
I use old field tile for lotz of stands-one holds a birdbath(bottom part of a clay pot that catches the water)two other hold a board for a bench.=]

**bowling alleys throw old balls away-check there!
i luv to recycle this stuff.

Legal, AB(Zone 3a)

Loon did you know that if you crushed the ends of your pussywillows and soaked them in water for about a week you could use that water for a rooting solution!!! It's cheaper than the bought stuff and works even better, I know your plight, I made a small fence and a whatchamacallit that climbing roses climb over,,oh yeah an arbour lol and of course the rose died buy my fence is growing strong!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Nece,

Yes, I knew about the willow water for rooting. I have used it before and it works really well. Willows have a lot of uses it seems. I'm really eager to learn how to make some furniture out of it.

Plato, MO(Zone 5a)

I love the garden ball ideas.What about trying a heavyduty tomato cage?Kinda abstractly bended some so you can make it fit those fingerholes?

A vine simply pruned,or mound the inside of cage with peat&soil and plant cascading plants.How about a strawberry planter!I've got a plan!!

This one is SO EASY.My kids made these for the teacher X-mas gifts years ago..3-5 clay post,no need to be new.Steelwool will scrub them nicely.Now paint them...finger prints,dab a sponge in paint,apply.scrap wallpaper use that.WHATEVER GOES...Let dry.

You can use your dryed flower bits and pieces.I love to use alphalfa grn w/ a few blooms.mix with elmers(must be dries clear)Use you hands and apply to pots.Let dry

take a length of hemp,tie a knot.Smallest pot to largest,knots evenly between."Pot Chimes" as my youn'uns would say.

try making chimes from old knives forks and spoons.SO CUTE!
Bend old bailing wire into shapes,inset your citron candles.
I've tons more...must be late i'm drawing a blank...
Have fun...this is great!!
LOL,
KDC

Cobleskill, NY(Zone 5a)

I made candle holders for halloween. I took veggie cans and filled them with water then froze them. Then I taped a design on the outside. With a mallet amd different size nails, I punched out my design. You can do dots or cut the pattern right out. (Some I spray painted on the outside). I did dots and got lots of compliments. They really looked cool. TIP: DO NOT let the ice thaw before you are done, put it back in the freezer when it starts to thaw

Plato, MO(Zone 5a)

here's another...
living wreathes.Chicken wire for your frame.Fill w/peat&soil.Inlarge hole a hole where you will set your plant(do not remove extra wire!),Pull soil forward,set plant.Bend that extra wire up and stablize setting.Continue around ring,I like cascading or ivy plants at the bottem.Beautiful AND last for ever.

same applies for those 'feed sack' hangers.Just leave out the wire,and us more moss(requires more feedings!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images