AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2002
10:48 PM

Post #36529

I don't stumble on good deals very often, so I had to share this one. I walked into WalMart today, and they had four "preplanted Hardy Water Lilies" marked down from $10 to $3.50. I picked out the two best-looking ones, a Rose Arey and odorata var. gigantea and took them to the checkout. Where they got marked down agan to $2.50 each - woohoo!

Up to now, I hadn't bought ANY lilies for this pond, because when we moved in, there were 8-10 big planters full of a hardy yellow variety. I traded a few away last year, will trade more of them next spring to make some room for some plants that I get to pick out.

Hope ya'll will forgive my exuberant happy-happy-joy-joy dance (I didn't know who else to share my good news with - it takes a ponder to understand a ponder!)
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2002
11:48 PM

Post #306385

Well let me do the happy dance with ya. Sounds like you got a great deal .
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2002
12:54 AM

Post #306420

GV...what a bargain! You were lucky! These hick towns around me never have any good deals on water plants! They all seem to think water plants are gold here! LOL

Don't tell anybody but I snuck to the dam and good 'ol gov had planted some along the roadway and I snuck a few! *snicker*
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2002
11:40 AM

Post #306745

Good for you!! I never seem to find bargans like that but I'm glad someone does. Were they in good shape? "T" :)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2002
12:47 PM

Post #306774

One of them already had leaves coming up - hey were in large, heavy plastic, sealed bags (I guess to keep the moisture in. Fortuantely, the leaves were in great shape - no rotting at all. The other one had small leaves shooting out, but they hadn't unfurled yet. All in all pretty good shape for ultra-cheap plants. (Let's hope they grow fast, so I can share them!)
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2002
1:15 PM

Post #306787

Excellent! Do I need to remind you not to put them in too deep to start. What will you plant them in? I prefer the aquatic dirt instead of small pebbles because my fish knock them around too much and make a mess on the bottom. I'm anxious to see the flowers you get. "T" :)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2002
1:21 PM

Post #306791

Yes, ma'am :) I set them in the shallow end, so they're only covered by about an inch or two of water. As the leaves take off, I'll move them deeper.

They came in pots of aquatic soil, but the pots weren't full. So I grabbed some of my trusty clay soil and mixed it together with the aquatic soil, and put it back in the pot, added a fertilizer tab in the middle, and put the tuber on top. Covered the surface with pea gravel... I'll post some photos once they take off.
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2002
1:24 PM

Post #306794

I knew you'd be fine...lol And they had their own pots too? Wow girl, you got a great deal! The pots themselves cost that much alone.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2002
1:43 PM

Post #306802

Well, I did have to stop and think about where to put them before I set them in - since I "inherited" my others, it was a new experience for me to start them from scratch. Starting at the shallow end seemed logical. (And it was nice to get affirmation that I did it correctly lol.)

The pots are not high-quality pots intended for pond plants. But I went ahead and used them since I didn't have any *real* pond pots handy. I figure I can transplant them next spring when I do my annual pruning and repotting.

azsteve905
New Albany, MS
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2002
8:31 PM

Post #307646

You will love your ororata gigantica. It blooms a bloom much like a tropical does. Very tall and spiky petals. Fragrant also. Love that lily.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America