Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: My water garden

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 7, Views: 251
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2002
3:58 AM

Post #36570

I can't call this a pond *LOL* I don't have room in my little garden for a pond but did find room for this little water garden. It isn't finished yet but getting there. We started out we were just gonna set it on the ground but started digging a little & it ended almost all the way down.
I'm not crazy about the color but was all the store had. My garden does have bright colored flowers so guess it fits in there. I put the black edging around it to keep the rocks from falling in but may remove it, not sure. We put 4 feeder fish in it.. left for 1 1/2 hours & then there was 3 with no signs of it. There is quite a few cats around but we have a short fence around the garden & I have never seen one in it, there's always a 1st time. We got a little water grass in it today so that should help. How warm can the water get & still be safe? The water was about 90 today but the fish looked happy. The air was 100..VERY hot. We still need to bury the cord & put more larger rocks. We have a small pond to put in the front but sure DH will wait for it to cool a little before he starts digging. He is already talking about also putting in a larger pond but may change his mind after digging for the small one.
If anyone has ideas to improve it let us know as we are just learning :)
Sugar
PS
The water is low in the picture as we had water running down the water can spout but I think we have that problem solved (hope so) and it is now filled back up.

This message was edited Friday, Jul 19th 12:04 AM

Thumbnail by Sugar_fl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2002
6:47 PM

Post #306982

And then there was two..
Lost another fish today but at least we know what happened to this one. I hope we don't lose anymore...it is a 60 mile round trip to get more but may have to.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2002
7:57 PM

Post #307019

That is going to be a cute pond! Are you going to put plants around it? Hope the other fish make too! must be a cat!
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2002
11:30 PM

Post #307168

Hey I guess you know thats just a start you will want more. lol
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2002
12:18 AM

Post #307180

seedpicker I'd love plants around it but really don't have room..it is in the walkway of my garden & it would sure have to be very small plants.. I have put more & a little larger rocks around it (on top of the pea gravel)... I'll take another picture tomorrow.
Mystic we have a REAL preformed pond already for the front garden but kinda hot here for 2 old people to dig that big of a hole *LOL* It is still small but a pond. DH already has a spot picked out for a BIGGER one too.

imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2002
2:04 AM

Post #307241

Okay...you need to re-route your walkway (even if it makes it smaller)and put plants around the pond!

You asked for advice! LOL
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2002
5:00 PM

Post #307560

Seedpicker, Kinda hard to move a rose bed, a raised bed with a arbor over it & a whiskey barrel.. I probably could put a few ground hugging (creeping) plants but not many & nothing that would get large.. what do U recommend & where can I find it? I may grow some from seeds. Here plants are few & far apart. I have added some larger rocks & that makes it look a little better. We have to buy rocks here as there just isn't any to be found. When we put the other pond in we are gonna try & make rocks. We are learning from this one things that will sure help us with the next pond which is still small. The 3rd one will be larger *LOL* There are a lot of ponds here but they have no plants or rocks.. just a deep hole in the ground with fish U can catch & eat. Some are for watering cattle.
Sugar

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2002
5:59 PM

Post #307578

I'm with Imaseedpicker, gotta have a few plants for the full effect..LOL..Maybe a small trailing plant where you have the white rocks? Moss, very small potted plants.. something..lol
Larkie

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 20th 2:01 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America