Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Insects ID

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lacemosaic
Hampton, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2002
2:36 AM

Post #36668

Here are 2 insects I found in my yard. They are beautiful. Do you know what they are? And are they beneficial or not? The grasshopper-looking one has antennae that are about 3 inches long.

Thumbnail by lacemosaic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2002
9:28 AM

Post #307392

Possibly a grapevine beetle on the left, and a katydid on the right? I'll let more learned bug folk give you the details! :)

Added:

The one on the right is definitely a katydid! http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=katydid&sa=N&tab=wi I've heard them more than seen them here in Ohio. They make that scratchy katy-did katy-did sound at night. :) THere are all kind of colors of these insects around the world - really neat. They are foliage-feeding insects, though. I've never really had a problem with them, but who knows.

And the big fella on the left is a spotted grapevine beetle (Pelidnota punctata). I thought he looked familiar. When I was working the garden hotline for the master gardeners last year, a teenager and his mom brought in a fishbowl with one of these huge beetles in it. Cool, aren't they? http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=grapevine+beetle The adults feed on grape foliage, and the larvae feed on rotting wood. Yum!

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 20th 5:40 AM
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2002
11:38 AM

Post #307423

GW, you're getting good at this bug ID!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2002
12:56 AM

Post #307802

I was just fortunate to have seen these two bugs before. Can't hold a candle to the real bug crew here...Nooooo way! When those folks brought the grapevine beetle in, I was so curious I had to keep looking. We looked through every picture in every insect book in the building, and then searched some more, until we finally found it. Actually, had we not been able to ID the critter, my next step was to take its picture and upload it to this forum - hey, I know where to go for answers!

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 20th 8:57 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America