Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: glad seeds??????????????

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcf
Brooklet, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2002
10:09 AM

Post #37667

i received some heirloom parot glads las fall and planted them this summer. they were beautiful. when the flowers died they formed what look like a seed pod and these tiny seeds were inside. are they seeds. if so what do i do with them to make them grow???????????

Thumbnail by jcf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2002
1:18 PM

Post #314088

janet, were they the ones i sent you? if so, i never collected the seeds, but i always had a gazillion bulblets growing.
i was never quite sure if it was the seeds or corms. i know that doesnt help you on how to plant them.
jen
Baa

July 29, 2002
1:33 PM

Post #314105

If they came from the seed pod then they are likely to be seeds. If you put them in pots of moist (not wet) compost and keep them at about 58-62F they may germinate for you but like Jen I prefer to propagate from the cormlets.
jcf
Brooklet, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2002
1:32 AM

Post #318241

yes MsGen they were from you and they were beautiful. absolutely gorgeous. i would love to have a whole field of them. i am going to plant them and see what happens. nothing ventured nothing gained. right.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2002
2:08 AM

Post #318272

You might try winter sowing, Jcf. If you do, I wouldn't throw them out due to lack of germination 'til next August.
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2002
5:11 AM

Post #318437

janet, i'm glad you enjoyed them. i sent out quite a few boxes of them and never heard anything about how they did. they are true heirloom bulbs (old house gardens sells them, extrememly expensive).
they form clumps, but as i said earlier, i'm not sure if its from the seeds or the babies. either way, they should multiply for you, give it time and youll have a small field of them,
jen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America