We will have a tech upgrade today between 1pm and 2pm EST.

Trees: Trees & shrubs with maroon foliage all year

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Please tell me what trees and shrubs have lovely dark foliage all through out the year (no summer fading).

I have the following that do pretty well, and looking for more....
Acer palmatum atropurpureum
Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo'

Some I have heard of but don't have yet:
Acer platinoides 'Crimson Sentry'- does this hold it color?
Catalpa x erubenscens 'Purpurea' - does this stay purple?
Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy'
Cotinus coggygria 'Purple Supreme'

None of the barberries that I have stay deep purple in the summertime, nor does my Sambucus nigra 'Guincho Purple.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Evelyn, I have had Berberis vulgaris 'Royal Cloak' for 2 years now and can testify that it stays dark throughout the season. It is advertised as the best for what you are looking for. Will take a pic and send it.

golddog

Hi, Golddog!

Where can I get a 'Royal Cloak'? I have 'Royal Burgundy' and it is green now with purple tips, as are the 'Atropurpureas'. Is yours REALLY dark colored now? If so I MUST have one. :-)

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, it is so. Heronswood should have some left. That is where I got my 3. The shipping was more than the plants as I recall. The plants small. But at the time no one else had any.

golddog

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Have you thought about Acer palmatum Bloodgood which is supposed to be the best tree for hot sites!!

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/hort/plantlisting/A/Acer2723.html

Thanks, Louisa!

I have a very small Acer palmatum. It stays red, but it is small. I'm not sure if it is 'Bloodgood' or not.

Evelyn

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Evelyn, I have started Berberis vulgaris 'Royal Cloak'. I imagine they will 'take'.

golddog, I have already ordered 'Royal Cloak'.

Thanks!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Evelyn, the color is holding (dark purple); no green.

Well, maybe the Physocarpus that I struck today will take.
("Diablo").

I could probably use another "Cloak". If it takes, I will try for more. I don't usually do cuttings, but I am trying for the coleus swap, so I thought I would add some to the tray. Maybe we can do a trade too.

Paducah, KY(Zone 10a)

How do I go about getting some answers to my questions? I am new on this sight and I want to find out how to get rid of the moths that eat all my leaves on my catalpa tree.
thanks

(Zone 5b)

My purple leaf sandcherry (prunus cistena) and my smokebush (cotinus) stay a nice dark purple all season.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

333333, You should post your question by starting a new thread in the "Garden Foes" forum. Or, your answer might already be there in some of the threads in that Forum.

Welcome aboard!

Hi, Cheryl!

I have the Cotinus, and the Prunus cistena. They are both faded now, though their lovely purple color will re-emerge in spring. Thanks.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

An improved bloodgood Japanese maple is the 'Emperor I' -- Monrovia sells some beautiful examples. The leaves come out red, briefly turn green, then darken to the brownish-red color. Fall color is crimson. It's very vigorous and handsome.

Although they are advertised as being able to take full sun, partial sun is much better. Western exposure will crisp the leaves during our hot dry summers.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi all, I have a question, don't know if this is the forum to ask on but here goes, I received some red maple seeds and don't know if should plant and keep indoors through winter or just plant outside? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Denise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images