Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Night shade thingy??

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2002
12:55 AM

Post #38071

I got seeds for this from a lady in California. She said it has a yellow lantern type flower and is a member of the night shade family. I only had one seed germinate and this is the plant. Cala said she had about 6 come up in her greenhouse. There are little thorns on the base of the leaves and the stem. Anyone recognize it or have any guesses? I'm sure it's probably a weed in some area...

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 31st 7:45 AM

Thumbnail by poppysue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2002
7:55 AM

Post #315727

Hmmmm ... at first glace it sure looks like these things that we have all over the place (yeah, they're weeds here, but do have a neat flower): http://plantsdatabase.com/go/31750/ all the way down to the thorns on leaves and stems. But those plants at the link don't get yellow lantern-like things on them. They do have bright yellow balls for seed pods, though.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2002
11:49 AM

Post #315753

Why Wingnut!! I think you may have found it!! She may have meant the seeds look like yellow lanterns. I spose I'll have to wait to see the flower. I wonder if it will bloom this year...

Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2002
4:59 PM

Post #315958

If that's it, then it likes FULL sun and LOTS of it, Poppysue!! And it won't mind not getting much water. They're perennials here, popping back up from a deep taproot. I don't know if they bloom the first year, but I think so.

Somewhere I have a picture of the fruit (which I was always told was poisonous, but I don't really know). I'll try to dig it up and post it to that link sometime today. I guess you could say the fruit look like little yellow lanters, but they're just plain little balls to me. The blooms look more like paper lanterns (that are flattened out) than the fruit does IMHO. ;)
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2002
5:55 PM

Post #316003

http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/6719/ There's the fruit!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America